Page 2 of 2
Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:32 pm
by Plastermaster
How many amps is it drawing?
Ron
Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:13 pm
by Bob Ingman
Marc I don`t know what the difference in solenoids is that the # is different but they are interchangable. I have taken the solenoid from an XR17 (late bus) and installed it onto my thing starter (auto-stick). Bob
Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:15 pm
by Marc
Bob Ingman wrote:Marc I don`t know what the difference in solenoids is that the # is different but they are interchangable. I have taken the solenoid from an XR17 (late bus) and installed it onto my thing starter (auto-stick). Bob
Those ones should be; I'm concerned about what the difference might be between a regular 4-speed bug (SR15) solenoid and the one for the SR17.
I'm sure I have both out in the garage somewhere, if I get ambitious this weekend I may check into it.
Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:29 pm
by Bobby74
It turns out that it was the battery cable situation. I got some good side terminal battery cables and it was a world of difference! I should've already done this but I've never had to start an engine this large/high compression before so its the first time its been this hard to start. I didn't know it drew so many amps to crank this sucker over!
I haven't switched starters cause it appears my new starter will be just fine.
The old "self supporting" starter (that came with my bus's 65 transmission) had a solenoid with a spring and clip on the plunger.
The newer Beetle starter has no spring and clip, the plunger looks identical. I will get some numbers off the solenoids and starter body's tomorrow.
Thanks for the help!
-Bobby
Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:41 pm
by Marc
It'll be interesting to see how that Brück works out in your demanding application. I have no experience with them but they cost at least $10 less than a Bosch, and since Bosch moved production to Brazil I've been underwhelmed by their quality. Maybe we'll all be running Brücks in a few years.
Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:24 pm
by Bobby74
hey Marc,
I'm actually really impressed by the quality of this starter. The aluminum is tight grain and really beefy at the starter head. The body is zinc plated and has all the nuts/washers, and comes with new starter bushing of course. Not a bad deal at all!
