Web-cam lifters OK now?

This forum is for any discussion related to Aircooled Technology, the DTM shroud and Massive TypeIV engines. You may read and search this forum, but you can not post to it.
User avatar
dstar
Posts: 3733
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:01 am

Post by dstar »

Jake, have you tried roughing up the face with a red ScotchBite pad?
:shock:

Seems it would hold oil on the face better than polishing them would!
8)

Don
Chris_914
Posts: 250
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2001 12:01 am

Post by Chris_914 »

I don't know why this is stuck in my head but would seperating the single cam lobe into two help any? The image of the depression wore into the top of lobe on my first type 4 tear down has always stuck with me. My thinking is that maybe if this area was removed that the lifters would be on their centers instead of the edge that seams to be carving the depression in the center of the lobe peak. All the picture of the destroyed lifters seem to have chipped edges.
User avatar
dstar
Posts: 3733
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:01 am

Post by dstar »

BINGO Chris!

That would seem to be easier than trying to put a double radius(radii?)
on the face.
:D

Don
User avatar
Griznant
Posts: 698
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2000 12:01 am

Post by Griznant »

Thanks Jake. I fired off an email to Charles to see what's up.
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

LOTS!

Next thing you know you'll be able to light a fuse and the damn lifter will nano it's self to Mars!

High tech shiznit!
User avatar
dstar
Posts: 3733
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:01 am

Post by dstar »

MASSIVE TYPE IV wrote:LOTS!

Next thing you know you'll be able to light a fuse and the damn lifter will nano it's self to Mars!

High tech shiznit!
Image

I'm sorry, but the visual of Jake saying that was just funny as HELL!
:lol:

Don
User avatar
Clatter
Posts: 2056
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2002 1:01 am

Post by Clatter »

In ALL my tests we have NEVER seen a difference in wear with spring tension...
Unless you are on coil bind or bottoming out a retainer its not going to kill the lifters or wear them any more..

I have actually observed the heavier tensions have been a GOOD thing for the situation!

Now doesn't that just defy everything anyone has ever said before!
Didn't I read that in a book once?
I think it had a blue cover...
:D
Speedier than a Fasting Bullet!

Beginners' how-to Type 4 build thread ---> http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=145853
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

Don't know....

My dad used mine to start a fire in the fireplace a few years back!

:roll:
User avatar
speedy57tub
Posts: 1259
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2001 12:01 am

Post by speedy57tub »

Jake,
Looks like I have another bad lifter situation with my nephew's bus (after 3500 or so miles). Two lifters are sounding like crap and can not be adjusted effectively! Even the rocker geometry has gone weird on those two areas. :x I do not have to take the engine apart to know what happened! :cry:
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

What lifters did you use?? Cam??

Another statistic..

Someday someone will listen around here!
User avatar
speedy57tub
Posts: 1259
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2001 12:01 am

Post by speedy57tub »

Jake,
The cam was a Scat C-25 grind and the lifters I am not sure. I will take a picture of one (I had two sets) but I was told they were stock OEM but nowadays, unless if you have the box, you can't exactly tell.
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

take pics of all of them and post them! I need to see how the wear started.
User avatar
Wally
Posts: 4575
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 12:01 am

Post by Wally »

MASSIVE TYPE IV wrote: I have used Type I lifters in TIV engines many times. It changes everything and the cam really needs to be specially prepared for the proper lifter rotation to occur.
Jake,
Just FYI, we have measured out the entire lift/duration profile of a type 1 lifter on a new long duration (Schleicher) TIV cam and then did the same with a stock type 4 lifter on the same cam, using a (very) expensive tool doing so.

Both the so aquired lift/duration sheets were exactly the same!

At least my myth about that was busted cause I really thought that it was very possible that valve movement would be different when type 1 lifters were used, but it wasn't :wink:

Thanks,
Walter
T4T: 2,4ltr Type 4 Turbo engine, 10.58 1/4 mi in a streetlegal 1303

"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

Did that long ago- Nothing changes, since the changes occur on both sides of the spectrum.
User avatar
Mark the canuck
Posts: 939
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2002 1:01 am

Post by Mark the canuck »

Locked