Page 2 of 3

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:59 am
by dstar
Jake, have you tried roughing up the face with a red ScotchBite pad?
:shock:

Seems it would hold oil on the face better than polishing them would!
8)

Don

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:10 pm
by Chris_914
I don't know why this is stuck in my head but would seperating the single cam lobe into two help any? The image of the depression wore into the top of lobe on my first type 4 tear down has always stuck with me. My thinking is that maybe if this area was removed that the lifters would be on their centers instead of the edge that seams to be carving the depression in the center of the lobe peak. All the picture of the destroyed lifters seem to have chipped edges.

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:14 pm
by dstar
BINGO Chris!

That would seem to be easier than trying to put a double radius(radii?)
on the face.
:D

Don

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:20 pm
by Griznant
Thanks Jake. I fired off an email to Charles to see what's up.

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:22 pm
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
LOTS!

Next thing you know you'll be able to light a fuse and the damn lifter will nano it's self to Mars!

High tech shiznit!

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:11 pm
by dstar
MASSIVE TYPE IV wrote:LOTS!

Next thing you know you'll be able to light a fuse and the damn lifter will nano it's self to Mars!

High tech shiznit!
Image

I'm sorry, but the visual of Jake saying that was just funny as HELL!
:lol:

Don

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:53 pm
by Clatter
In ALL my tests we have NEVER seen a difference in wear with spring tension...
Unless you are on coil bind or bottoming out a retainer its not going to kill the lifters or wear them any more..

I have actually observed the heavier tensions have been a GOOD thing for the situation!

Now doesn't that just defy everything anyone has ever said before!
Didn't I read that in a book once?
I think it had a blue cover...
:D

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:56 pm
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
Don't know....

My dad used mine to start a fire in the fireplace a few years back!

:roll:

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:05 am
by speedy57tub
Jake,
Looks like I have another bad lifter situation with my nephew's bus (after 3500 or so miles). Two lifters are sounding like crap and can not be adjusted effectively! Even the rocker geometry has gone weird on those two areas. :x I do not have to take the engine apart to know what happened! :cry:

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:17 am
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
What lifters did you use?? Cam??

Another statistic..

Someday someone will listen around here!

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:33 am
by speedy57tub
Jake,
The cam was a Scat C-25 grind and the lifters I am not sure. I will take a picture of one (I had two sets) but I was told they were stock OEM but nowadays, unless if you have the box, you can't exactly tell.

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:08 am
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
take pics of all of them and post them! I need to see how the wear started.

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:23 am
by Wally
MASSIVE TYPE IV wrote: I have used Type I lifters in TIV engines many times. It changes everything and the cam really needs to be specially prepared for the proper lifter rotation to occur.
Jake,
Just FYI, we have measured out the entire lift/duration profile of a type 1 lifter on a new long duration (Schleicher) TIV cam and then did the same with a stock type 4 lifter on the same cam, using a (very) expensive tool doing so.

Both the so aquired lift/duration sheets were exactly the same!

At least my myth about that was busted cause I really thought that it was very possible that valve movement would be different when type 1 lifters were used, but it wasn't :wink:

Thanks,
Walter

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:55 am
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
Did that long ago- Nothing changes, since the changes occur on both sides of the spectrum.

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:02 am
by Mark the canuck