Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:57 pm
Plastermaster....in a certain respect, you are right. At my age and with all the years I have been working on my own stuff, I just learned this 4 years ago from my brother. Basically he said....if you have a new cam, whose actual TDC markings are not known to you and you want to find position for valve adjustment that is "safe" enough at least to start with.....rotate the engine while watching the valves from undeneath (wheel method). When the intake valve just starts to close from full lift...adjust the exhaust. When the exhaust just starts to open from full base circle closed...adjust the intake. It works like 90+% if the time . I'm qouting from memory......because I had to write that down. I don't adjust that way....but it taught me a lot. The problem with just finding the spot on the cam....that gives the most gap at the valve adjuster tip, is that this is the very lowest spot in the base circle.
Try adjusting it there. Then crank that piston around to actual TDC. What you will see.....is that the valve at TDC....is now lifted by between .003 and .005".....give or take. This is the problem with adjusting it to the lowest point...as I mentioned in my last post. My whole point about mentioning this "extra"...little known portion of slack in the valve train...is that there is clearance built in (on most cams). That will keep you from getting in a sbind that will bend the valves from valve train interference (different than striking a piston to be sure). Hydraulic cams...I don't know about.
But this extra slack....is there, to be sure that at the TDC firing point....the valve is fully closed.
In a perfect, perfect ,perfect world.....once the valve is fully seated...if we could calculate the perfect expansion rate for warmed up....there would be no need for any slack between the adjusting screw and the valve stem tip, once the valve is seated at TDC firing point. Just a dead fit. But the world is not perfect...and we cannot calculate for that exactly . But neither is the VW world "uniform". The engineers gave us an across the board number... .006"...that "should" cover all eventualities and allow the requisite... enough slack to be safe. Wether its due to new and better materials...or what....I don't know, but I have been finding that this amount of engineered in slack, is not only slightly excessive on some engine combination, it is nowhere near even when everything is warmed up. It does not matter the actual cause of this.... because, for the sake of arugment ...it could be that cylinder cooling more or less, differences in parts, differences in quality of construction....whatever the cause....... It exists.
Yes, when adjusted this way... the valves run much quieter, and have less valve stem and tip wear....and throttle repsonse on the stock FI is improved. But...as I noted....a good amount of studious checking/driving is needed before you decide a particular valve needs further adjusting and what it should be adjusted to.
Bajaporsche
As for making valve adjustment harder.....
...how so? I use the same tools....3 feeler gauges....a 13mm box end wrench...a 1/4" drive ratchet and 13mm socket...and a screw driver. I generally adjust them cold to achieve the spec I have found they will grow to....hot. There is only the occasional valve that I adjust actually hot. This is because the difference in what it grows to, is a different enough and subtle enough amount, as compered to the other valves ....that I rarely get it exactly right by adjusting cold, to reach a certain hot value. I hope to not have any valves or parts like that...when this new engine is finished. As noted, once you get this together..you can do all of your adjusting cold...and all of the final checking....hot. By the way...as noted below..I did fix that.
Generally...I do not have any really alien valve adjustments. They may read like.....006". .006", .005", .006", .0045", .006", .004". The lowest I have ever had...was .0035" cold. It left .0015-.002 when very hot. I got rid of that........by changing out the pushrod
. For whatever reason, that pushrod had a different growth rate. Like I said...its not all in the valves themselves. I would also suggest, taht is you have a whole slew of pushrods....before you select 8...again measure them with a jig one by one, heat them uniformly in an oven..and quickly slap them back into the jig. It may be nice to not only select them by correct length, but uniform growth rate. I have found....there are differences from lot to lot. Some will say...."yes...but thats not really significant"....dang! we are talking thousandths here arn't we?
How do I get these .0005" readings? I buy cheap sets of feeler gauges and lap a larger one down..check it with a good micrometer. I keep them in the glove box...marked...in a rust free bag.
I also find, that when there is less extraneous gap.....there is less hammering of the adjuster tip...even with 911 style adjusters. The parts wear less. Every oil change is a valve adjustment. Once I started setting these up this way....I rarely have to adjust anything more than .0005".
How to make life easier underneath the car? Whatever cam you have, find your exact TDC points...by hook...crook...mirror...stick trick in the plug hole...dial indicator...whatever.
Before you start this...drill a small hole in each side of the bell housing....like at 5 o'clock and at 8 o'clock. Maybe 3/8" inch each...or even a notch at the bell housing egde. Then scribe a line throgh the center of that hole....so the hole looks like a "0" with a line through it. Now with a centerpunch the diameter of the hole.....which is why I suggested 3/8".....put a nice precise punchmark on the egde of the flywheel. Then mark the punchmark through the flywheel with a different colored fine point sharpy for each cylinder TDC. I don't have to tell you to keep track
. Then (you should wait for the engine to need to come out for this).....take the flywheel out...engrave nice sharp clean lines for these marks, fill them with white enamel, drop into the local machine shop and borrow their letter punch set (1/8" preferably)...and put a cylinder umber next to each one. I have short rubber stoppers in my bell housing holes.
This way...when you are under each side of the car...you pull the plug...get your flashlight...orient your head to line up your eye correctly with the slash mark on the outside of the bell housing.....and turn the wheel until a mark comes into view.....now adjust. Remember..that if you turn the engine in reverse...you can adjust intake and exhaust together at one time....in order...for cylinders 1, then 2,...then move to the other side...then 3, then 4. Ray
Try adjusting it there. Then crank that piston around to actual TDC. What you will see.....is that the valve at TDC....is now lifted by between .003 and .005".....give or take. This is the problem with adjusting it to the lowest point...as I mentioned in my last post. My whole point about mentioning this "extra"...little known portion of slack in the valve train...is that there is clearance built in (on most cams). That will keep you from getting in a sbind that will bend the valves from valve train interference (different than striking a piston to be sure). Hydraulic cams...I don't know about.
But this extra slack....is there, to be sure that at the TDC firing point....the valve is fully closed.
In a perfect, perfect ,perfect world.....once the valve is fully seated...if we could calculate the perfect expansion rate for warmed up....there would be no need for any slack between the adjusting screw and the valve stem tip, once the valve is seated at TDC firing point. Just a dead fit. But the world is not perfect...and we cannot calculate for that exactly . But neither is the VW world "uniform". The engineers gave us an across the board number... .006"...that "should" cover all eventualities and allow the requisite... enough slack to be safe. Wether its due to new and better materials...or what....I don't know, but I have been finding that this amount of engineered in slack, is not only slightly excessive on some engine combination, it is nowhere near even when everything is warmed up. It does not matter the actual cause of this.... because, for the sake of arugment ...it could be that cylinder cooling more or less, differences in parts, differences in quality of construction....whatever the cause....... It exists.
Yes, when adjusted this way... the valves run much quieter, and have less valve stem and tip wear....and throttle repsonse on the stock FI is improved. But...as I noted....a good amount of studious checking/driving is needed before you decide a particular valve needs further adjusting and what it should be adjusted to.
Bajaporsche
As for making valve adjustment harder.....
Generally...I do not have any really alien valve adjustments. They may read like.....006". .006", .005", .006", .0045", .006", .004". The lowest I have ever had...was .0035" cold. It left .0015-.002 when very hot. I got rid of that........by changing out the pushrod
How do I get these .0005" readings? I buy cheap sets of feeler gauges and lap a larger one down..check it with a good micrometer. I keep them in the glove box...marked...in a rust free bag.
I also find, that when there is less extraneous gap.....there is less hammering of the adjuster tip...even with 911 style adjusters. The parts wear less. Every oil change is a valve adjustment. Once I started setting these up this way....I rarely have to adjust anything more than .0005".
How to make life easier underneath the car? Whatever cam you have, find your exact TDC points...by hook...crook...mirror...stick trick in the plug hole...dial indicator...whatever.
Before you start this...drill a small hole in each side of the bell housing....like at 5 o'clock and at 8 o'clock. Maybe 3/8" inch each...or even a notch at the bell housing egde. Then scribe a line throgh the center of that hole....so the hole looks like a "0" with a line through it. Now with a centerpunch the diameter of the hole.....which is why I suggested 3/8".....put a nice precise punchmark on the egde of the flywheel. Then mark the punchmark through the flywheel with a different colored fine point sharpy for each cylinder TDC. I don't have to tell you to keep track
This way...when you are under each side of the car...you pull the plug...get your flashlight...orient your head to line up your eye correctly with the slash mark on the outside of the bell housing.....and turn the wheel until a mark comes into view.....now adjust. Remember..that if you turn the engine in reverse...you can adjust intake and exhaust together at one time....in order...for cylinders 1, then 2,...then move to the other side...then 3, then 4. Ray