Page 2 of 2

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:15 pm
by HAM Inc
Eddie 1.7's will be a better starting point than the used sq. ports. One of the heads in the photos you provided is a 1.7. It looks pretty rough. And it has been flycut enough to require a depth correction cut. One of the problems you'll run into using the 1.7's on the large displacement engine is that to achieve a compression ratio of 8:1 will require a fairly large chamber. The 1.7 and 2.0 bus heads start out at around 50cc's before any flycutting.

I don't have any experience with turbocharged T4's, but my opinion, based on my extensive experience with high compression N.A. engines, is to start with either new castings (the best choice) or a set of very pristine used castings. Regardless of which choice you make you will greatly improve your chances of success if you relocate the sparkplugs to the 2.0 914 position and use 12mm plugs. This will improve the life of your cylinder to head seal and add a chunk of torque to boot.

I would start with new 1.8 castings (they have a larger chamber) and move the plugs as mentioned above.

If you can't afford to spend the money on the new castings you might want to consider putting off the turbo idea. The turbo will push the limits of your aircooled heads, so you would be wise not to cut any corners.

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:19 pm
by Eddie Brown
MASSIVE TYPE IV wrote:Buy Lens heads through my store- based on NEW castings.

Many things are changing for Len and even my shop and thats including head prices. Every day it is becoming more expensive- just like gas, milk and bread...
Jake, which part # should I look at for my application?. For example I saw the heads for a 2016 motor listed individually...but others are listed by the pair?

For the motor I want to build I'd rather have the new castings for sure.

Thanks,

Eddie.

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:20 pm
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
What other specs will the engine have?????

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:19 pm
by Eddie Brown
MASSIVE TYPE IV wrote:What other specs will the engine have?????
96x78 (2258cc)
2.0 914 case
JE pistons
C/W crank with Rabbit Rods
8.0:1 CR with a .040" deck
119 or 218 Web Cam (112 LC's) with matching lifters
Valve size not sure...(leaning towards 44x38)
Dual springs with CM retainers
Stock pancake cooling with an external oil cooler(with fan/s)
CB Performance Ultra Comp FI modified for turbo use with an Intercooler
Modified header for use with a blow-thru turbo (possibly a Super 60)
Will try to keep stock heater boxes
Not sure about ignition at this point, but looking for a set up with ignition retard (boost sensitive)
Looking at no more than 8 psi of boost under normal driving conditions

This will go in my 72 914. Not sure about the gearing of the stock transmission. I certainly don't want to lower fan speed at highway speeds. Looking to build a nice daily/weekend driver.


The heads will be extremely important in this combo.

Thanks Jake.

Eddie.

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:28 pm
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
Stay away from the 218 TIVcam... It has a ramp speed of 61 and anything faster than a 64 is asking for failure without going to a TI lifter...

I would recommend a set of the 7442 heads.They have a relocated plug and really good margins for what you are going to be doing. Match that with one of my Turbo cams (9580) and you'd have something for sure...

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:05 pm
by Eddie Brown
MASSIVE TYPE IV wrote:Stay away from the 218 TIVcam... It has a ramp speed of 61 and anything faster than a 64 is asking for failure without going to a TI lifter...

I would recommend a set of the 7442 heads.They have a relocated plug and really good margins for what you are going to be doing. Match that with one of my Turbo cams (9580) and you'd have something for sure...
Thanks for the recomendations Jake. I'll go with that cam then. I'm just trying to prevent exhaust gas reversion by going with a low duration camshaft with wider lobe centers.

As far as the heads are concerned, I see in your catalog a 7432 set of heads (for a 2016) but not a 7442 set?.

I hope to send you a formal e-mail soon regarding these parts.

Thanks again!.

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:19 pm
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
They are not cataloged---