Type IV Turbo kit price target?

This forum is for any discussion related to Aircooled Technology, the DTM shroud and Massive TypeIV engines. You may read and search this forum, but you can not post to it.
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

80X91

sam, I plan on testing a 2270 engine built to "Kit" specs, like yours to see how much boost it takes to make things start to compromise..

The only killer is the KB pistons supposedly do not like boost- I guess we'll see if I can defy the rules set by the KB fatory and make it work anyway!
User avatar
Ephry73
Posts: 3369
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2001 12:01 am

Post by Ephry73 »

Would be interesting. Didn't Evil Ed use KB pistons on his 1.7 turbo build?


E
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

I think they were stock. KB doesn't make a 90mm piston.
I used the 91mm size because I LOVE small bored Turbo engines and also so I could do some testing with a stock 1700 cylinder bored to 91mm from 90 against a set of Nickies that Charles and I developed especially for a Turbo..
Its all about being able to crank up the boost- engine size doesn't matter- just strength.
User avatar
Ephry73
Posts: 3369
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2001 12:01 am

Post by Ephry73 »

Sweet! with that stroke it should be a stump puller before the turbo spools.

Question, single TB or dual TB for the EFI Jake?


E
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

Dual T/B...

This is a dual ball bearing Turbo- it will spool right off idle.
User avatar
jonas_linder
Posts: 1587
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2002 12:01 am

Post by jonas_linder »

The stock pistons can take beatings... My car pinged VERY bad on the dyno, I've never heared a car that pinged so hard, sounded like someone was banging with a hammer on the blcok :shock:
marekv8
Posts: 84
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:50 pm

Post by marekv8 »

Jake,
Any chance this set-up will fit under the bonnet of an early Beetle?

Thanks, Dave
User avatar
samcat
Posts: 1088
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2001 12:01 am

Post by samcat »

MASSIVE TYPE IV wrote:
sam, I plan on testing a 2270 engine built to "Kit" specs, like yours to see how much boost it takes to make things start to compromise..

The only killer is the KB pistons supposedly do not like boost- I guess we'll see if I can defy the rules set by the KB fatory and make it work anyway!
Not an issue as I am running a set of JE's ;)

Image

Would make a really nice upgrade for the future... Will have to start saving the pennies.

Cheers,
Sam C
ʇɐɔɯɐs
User avatar
Ephry73
Posts: 3369
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2001 12:01 am

Post by Ephry73 »

I'm already doing that. :D



E
User avatar
Plastermaster
Posts: 2762
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2001 12:01 am

Post by Plastermaster »

the price on that kit seems like a deal, considering all that is included. The turbo part of it isn't that much. I'm thinking those of us that already have 150HP but maybe do not have the optimum combo for the turbo, or the internal strength, can still have a hell of a ride with conservative boost.

Ron
User avatar
martilo
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:38 am

Post by martilo »

Jake, i guess you see me coming...
That would be a blast on a super hero wouldn't it?
User avatar
Plastermaster
Posts: 2762
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2001 12:01 am

Post by Plastermaster »

One thing I was forgetting was CR with boost. I'm not sure an engine like Scamcats, Ephry's, mine, etc could take enough boost to make it worth while. Jake says he will be testing it on a 2270 built to kit specs, so maybe I'm wrong. It will be interseting to see.

Ron
User avatar
Ephry73
Posts: 3369
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2001 12:01 am

Post by Ephry73 »

oops, double post
Last edited by Ephry73 on Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Ephry73
Posts: 3369
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2001 12:01 am

Post by Ephry73 »

Good point Ron. I guess at worse case scenario we can always use some water/alcohol injection to cool the charge.
With our 2270s the thing is head sealing even before we can worry about too much boost heating things up. I am even willing to step down to a 94mm piston/cylinder if it will help control head leaks(specially if using some nickies, then again, maybe some thicker nickies may help keep the 96mm bore under check with boost)

E
MASSIVE TYPE IV
Posts: 20132
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

Only time will tell..
The fabricator finished my dyno Turbo last week, so it's just a matter of time before the seriousness starts!
Locked