Page 12 of 15
Re: FI Build-up - German Plenum/TB & MS-1
Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:38 pm
by miniman82
I've been trying to get my start/warmup stuff set right since I got the thing together, but never really found the sweet spot. It always runs like ass for a couple seconds, then everything sttles down. It acts like it's lean (intake popping), but if I try giving it any more fuel it just floods. Strange, methinks. I think the best solution is extra advance and less fuel.
Re: FI Build-up - German Plenum/TB & MS-1
Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:06 pm
by MarioVelotta
Good to hear!
Hey Mini, I haven't got my new motor there yet either. But then again I spend more time working on it then driving it

My 1600 with edis though started sweet with just a touch of the key. I think you have it right though, less fuel more timing and that brings me to this menu for my ms2. The cold timing menu's. I plan on pulling my Idle valve and see how well I can do with just extra timing control.

Re: FI Build-up - German Plenum/TB & MS-1
Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:06 am
by Piledriver
Funny-- There is a current discussion over at Speedtalk about the old Ford TVS system...
It would really crank the advance up when the engine was cold.
(They are trying to recreate the effect since it works so well)
Re: FI Build-up - German Plenum/TB & MS-1
Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:59 am
by miniman82
I don't have MS2, but I think I can still add cold timing with MS1 Extra. I'll give it a try sometime later this week, I'm running out of cool mornings to try out stuff like that. I'm wondering if cranking timing should get a bump as well or only when cold, cause hot restarts have always been a PITA with advanced timing for me. Wants to kick back on the starter, ect.
Re: FI Build-up - German Plenum/TB & MS-1
Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:04 am
by Vee Dub Nut
Yea.. MS1 extra will let you play with timing as a function of temp. That is another one of the things I want to try.
Re: FI Build-up - German Plenum/TB & MS-1
Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:17 pm
by Vee Dub Nut
Ok.. so I know I'm just showing off now, but I'm super stoked that it fits under the lid
open:
closed:

Re: FI Build-up - German Plenum/TB & MS-1
Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:59 pm
by MarioVelotta
wow, your paint is really nice too.... : jealous:
Re: FI Build-up - German Plenum/TB & MS-1
Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:34 am
by Turbinepowered
You are very wise not to put your location in your profile... otherwise you might wake up one morning to find your car replaced with this:
('73 super, one of my several "project cars" and one of the primary reasons that I want to learn to TIG or MIG; there is so much
frikkin bondo in the pans and body of this car...

)
Re: FI Build-up - German Plenum/TB & MS-1
Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:50 am
by Vee Dub Nut
Haha... thanks guys. Its got its flaws, but is still looking pretty good these days.
Re: FI Build-up - German Plenum/TB & MS-1
Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:32 pm
by Vee Dub Nut
Boo... back to the hood stand-offs for me. My motor doesn't like being closed up. Started getting pretty hot on the way to F-burg, so I pulled off on the shoulder and took the hood off
Kinda bummed, but I was sort of expecting that with my breast plate being all hacked up for the turbo and intake piping. Its just letting too much heat up from the exhaust into the engine compartment. With the standoffs a get a constant flow of cool air at a higher pressure to keep the warm air on the bottom and cool on the top.
Re: FI Build-up - German Plenum/TB & MS-1
Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:47 am
by raggdout63
The other thing is your intake for a turbo engine is in a small closed up engine bay as well. I'm sure thats pulling much more air than a large stock 34pict would pull. This could possibly start to starve your fan from pulling enough cooling air. Just theories, no proof, but makes sense to me.
Re: FI Build-up - German Plenum/TB & MS-1
Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:09 pm
by miniman82
Get a 'vert lid, problem solved.

Re: FI Build-up - German Plenum/TB & MS-1
Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:17 am
by Chip Birks
I would love to find a vert lid for mine. That would make things so much nicer for sure! Not to mention that they are cool looking anyway.
Re: FI Build-up - German Plenum/TB & MS-1
Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:03 pm
by Vee Dub Nut
raggdout63 wrote:The other thing is your intake for a turbo engine is in a small closed up engine bay as well. I'm sure thats pulling much more air than a large stock 34pict would pull. This could possibly start to starve your fan from pulling enough cooling air. Just theories, no proof, but makes sense to me.
Yea.. I've seen the theory before. Even when i had the stand-offs off of the car, I still had the ole tennis ball on the bottom latch, so having air wasn't the problem. The real problem is having the breast plate cut into two pieces so that the turbo and charge piping can come up. This was allowing all the hot air to get pushed up from the bottom of the engine. This just recirculates hot air into the fan shroud. With the stand offs I get a nice good flow of cool air down into the engine and keeps the hot air from coming up from the bottom.
Re: FI Build-up - German Plenum/TB & MS-1
Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:27 pm
by ToRy 70
Depending on how much you enjoy preserving OG sheetmetal, you could cut some holes behind the license plate. Mine's fiberglass so I wouldn't feel too bad.
