1914 turbo bug
- Dan Dryden
- Posts: 488
- Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:56 am
Re: 1914 turbo bug
I'm reading this from my phone, which may be the problem, but I can't see any images in your last post Baz. 
- bazibbo
- Posts: 285
- Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:53 am
Re: 1914 turbo bug
They where there but either a huge resolution or silly size....
... and I'm meant to know what I'm doing
... and I'm meant to know what I'm doing
_____________________________________________________________________________
'71 1302s 1914 EFI chargecooled turbo
My old build thread http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 3&t=138297
'71 1302s 1914 EFI chargecooled turbo
My old build thread http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 3&t=138297
- Dan Dryden
- Posts: 488
- Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:56 am
Re: 1914 turbo bug
Hey Baz, I can see your diagrams now. The short answer to your question is, I have no real theory as to how the set up of your vac lines could improve your performance, except, the slight possibility that there were perhaps some air leaks in your old setup......?
- richie,uk
- Posts: 353
- Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2002 12:01 am
Re: 1914 turbo bug
bazibbo wrote:Well, I gave up with the tyres. sadly a little too big
For some time I've been scratching my head as to the physics around boost and how it effects me, the car and more importantly, how it fills pipes.
I've been changing the boost referencing lines around because I was concerned about the 'daisy chain' effect of hanging everything off one single referance point. (My wastegate referance line comes off the cool side of the turbo.) I've done a quick diagram to show what I've changed.
Before...
What is suprising, and the reason I'm talking about it, is that the car is noticably faster after the change!
Any ideas? My guess is that the dump valve can react faster, possibly letting the turbo spin up a bit quicker, making it feel faster. Seems odd though.... does pressure take time to build along a pipe?
Do you not have any kind of boost controller on there as well?
- Chip Birks
- Posts: 4058
- Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:59 pm
Re: 1914 turbo bug
Is your blow off pulling its reference before or after the throttle plate?
- Chip Birks
- Posts: 4058
- Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:59 pm
Re: 1914 turbo bug
On my old mexican setup i ran a line from the big port below the throttle body to the pressure pipe after the turbo. This smoothed out some major flat spots.
- bazibbo
- Posts: 285
- Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:53 am
Re: 1914 turbo bug
no boost control other than the wastegate Richie, that's referanced from the compressor. Certainly no bleed off or electronic thingy.
Chip, that's a point, as now I'm using both the outlets, big and small, after the throttle plate. With the dump valve coming off the larger outlet and the 'rest' being referenced by the smaller outlet.
I'll take a closer look at my outlets tonight.. think there's 3 under the throttle plate... dunno.
Chip, that's a point, as now I'm using both the outlets, big and small, after the throttle plate. With the dump valve coming off the larger outlet and the 'rest' being referenced by the smaller outlet.
Is that a line to the dump valve (in the pressure pipe after the turbo) or simply a kind of bleed / balance pipe between the two?Chip Birks wrote:On my old mexican setup i ran a line from the big port below the throttle body to the pressure pipe after the turbo. This smoothed out some major flat spots.
I'll take a closer look at my outlets tonight.. think there's 3 under the throttle plate... dunno.
_____________________________________________________________________________
'71 1302s 1914 EFI chargecooled turbo
My old build thread http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 3&t=138297
'71 1302s 1914 EFI chargecooled turbo
My old build thread http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 3&t=138297
- Chip Birks
- Posts: 4058
- Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:59 pm
Re: 1914 turbo bug
I just used the big one as a balance pipe. If you look inside the tb, there is a hole that the butterfly sweeps over in the funky bend. This is attached to the big outlet. So it is not actually under the throttle plate. Kind of in the middle of it. I would connect the dump valve to one of the other two.
- bazibbo
- Posts: 285
- Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:53 am
Re: 1914 turbo bug
Ah.... I'm a liar
In the cold light of day I'm plumbed up slightly differently - not massively differently though...

Front on. You can see the big alloy spacer that's different from the original. Would this block the inner channels? I should really pull it apart and have a look.

Side view. You can see that I'm using the outer two outlet/ports. I'm describing the top, outer most outlet as 'the big one', though thinking about it, I think might have used a big pipe on a small outlet (confusion) but you can see what goes where now.

Close up on all 3 outlets / ports.
I've looked and I've plumbed the lower outlet to the dump valve, the top one heads off to the ECU, FPR and boost gauge.
The rear one is simply blocked... I suspect this is blocked by the large alloy spacer as well.
In the cold light of day I'm plumbed up slightly differently - not massively differently though...

Front on. You can see the big alloy spacer that's different from the original. Would this block the inner channels? I should really pull it apart and have a look.

Side view. You can see that I'm using the outer two outlet/ports. I'm describing the top, outer most outlet as 'the big one', though thinking about it, I think might have used a big pipe on a small outlet (confusion) but you can see what goes where now.

Close up on all 3 outlets / ports.
I've looked and I've plumbed the lower outlet to the dump valve, the top one heads off to the ECU, FPR and boost gauge.
The rear one is simply blocked... I suspect this is blocked by the large alloy spacer as well.
Last edited by bazibbo on Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
_____________________________________________________________________________
'71 1302s 1914 EFI chargecooled turbo
My old build thread http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 3&t=138297
'71 1302s 1914 EFI chargecooled turbo
My old build thread http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 3&t=138297
- yvre
- Posts: 501
- Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:58 am
Re: 1914 turbo bug
This is how I've plumbed mine too: big one blocked, small ones used for Blow off and ECU/FPR.
And yes the spacer is blocking the passage for the big one.
And yes the spacer is blocking the passage for the big one.
-
Steve Arndt
- Posts: 7420
- Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2001 12:01 am
Re: 1914 turbo bug
What is the throttle body spacer for? Extra plenum volume?
The Joe Bence roller throttle tube would really help where your cable exits the shroud. It takes about half the pedal effort with it vs without when running an angle like that.
edit; on second though it looks like a pretty straight shot. Anywhere, here is the tube I was talking about;
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... ?id=786740
The Joe Bence roller throttle tube would really help where your cable exits the shroud. It takes about half the pedal effort with it vs without when running an angle like that.
edit; on second though it looks like a pretty straight shot. Anywhere, here is the tube I was talking about;
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... ?id=786740
Steve
My Baja Build
My Baja Build
- bazibbo
- Posts: 285
- Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:53 am
Re: 1914 turbo bug
Ta Yvre, nice to know my plumbing a ok.
My friends just fitted something pretty similar to his beach buggy Steve, he loves it. Think, as well as a new throttle cable, that'll be my next buy.
Don't know why it's got the spacer, but coupled with the modded butterfly I've no need of any air valve thingys, and it performs really well when I'm driving slowly.
My friends just fitted something pretty similar to his beach buggy Steve, he loves it. Think, as well as a new throttle cable, that'll be my next buy.
Don't know why it's got the spacer, but coupled with the modded butterfly I've no need of any air valve thingys, and it performs really well when I'm driving slowly.
_____________________________________________________________________________
'71 1302s 1914 EFI chargecooled turbo
My old build thread http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 3&t=138297
'71 1302s 1914 EFI chargecooled turbo
My old build thread http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 3&t=138297
- bazibbo
- Posts: 285
- Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:53 am
Re: 1914 turbo bug
Easy fix.... Don't go slow 
_____________________________________________________________________________
'71 1302s 1914 EFI chargecooled turbo
My old build thread http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 3&t=138297
'71 1302s 1914 EFI chargecooled turbo
My old build thread http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 3&t=138297
- Chip Birks
- Posts: 4058
- Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:59 pm
Re: 1914 turbo bug
Does yours have a hard time transitioning? This is why I connected the big reference line to a port above the throttle plate. Made a huge difference.yvre wrote:Mine doesn't...
