Page 13 of 17

Re: S.O.B. build - Schiz O Build (build)

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:26 pm
by kyle_pc_75
Cam installed. Yes, I'm posting every time I do something seemingly successfully. :D

Image

Re: S.O.B. build - Schiz O Build (build)

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:36 pm
by CentralWAbaja
kyle_pc_75 wrote:Cam installed. Yes, I'm posting every time I do something seemingly successfully. :D

Image
You drink a cold one yet? :lol:

Re: S.O.B. build - Schiz O Build (build)

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:52 am
by TimS
kyle_pc_75 wrote:Cam installed. Yes, I'm posting every time I do something seemingly successfully. :D
Sounds good. Did you leave the distributer driveshaft/gear in there or are you going to align and install it after the case is together?

Re: S.O.B. build - Schiz O Build (build)

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:40 am
by kyle_pc_75
I left the distributor and drive in there and aligned everything together.

Re: S.O.B. build - Schiz O Build (build)

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:45 pm
by bajaherbie
kyle you need to clean up your shop floor....

Re: S.O.B. build - Schiz O Build (build)

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:17 pm
by Big Dave
How did you get the rods to stand up like that?

Everything turns free and the cam doesn't walk up when you turn the crank?

Re: S.O.B. build - Schiz O Build (build)

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:22 pm
by kyle_pc_75
Big Dave wrote:How did you get the rods to stand up like that?

Everything turns free and the cam doesn't walk up when you turn the crank?
I'm using moly grease for assembly lube. They stood up just long enough for me to shoot the pic! Yes, everything turns free, and the cam stays.

Thanks for checking in, Dave!

Re: S.O.B. build - Schiz O Build (build)

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:20 pm
by fusername
I WOULD PULL THE DRIVE GEAR IF I WERE YOU. caps are just for your attention, but you seem to be paying plenty of it. if you don't already know, spinning hte motor w/ the drive gear in but NO dizzy can ruin the brass gear, as the drive gear can get driven up the slot a bit, then when the crank spins the other way, the steel and brass have an arm wrestling competition, and you can guess who wins.
since you have a pivoting engine stand, installing the drive gear later will be easy, all you need is a long phillips screw driver, a touch of grease and expanding pliers, like for ur c-clips on ur CV joints.

Re: S.O.B. build - Schiz O Build (build)

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:21 pm
by fusername
as a matter of fact, how DID you assemble it? use the moly as glue to make the drive gear defy gravity?

Re: S.O.B. build - Schiz O Build (build)

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:14 am
by ajdenette
Installed studs, bearings, lifters today. For me, these are big steps!!!

Image
Fusername as you can see he has a DISTRIBUTOR sticking out of the hole holding it all in place and making sure the distributor drives haft does not ride up or go anywhere.

Re: S.O.B. build - Schiz O Build (build)

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:07 pm
by kyle_pc_75
ajdenette wrote:Fusername as you can see he has a DISTRIBUTOR sticking out of the hole holding it all in place and making sure the distributor drives haft does not ride up or go anywhere.
Yep, distributor is installed. I'm just glad you guys are all paying attention. I'm posting here so my mistakes will be caught!!!

Thanks!

Re: S.O.B. build - Schiz O Build (build)

Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:03 pm
by fusername
what do you mean? of course I am paying, oh look a squirrel

Re: S.O.B. build - Schiz O Build (build)

Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:19 pm
by kyle_pc_75
Just so you don't think I'm not doing anything other than making silly videos....

Image

I had to tear it back down to the short block because there was zero deck height and add shims. That's cool, it allowed me to check ring alignment and learn the joys of a ring compressor. The pushrod tubes are soaking in some nifty chemical cleaner to be installed tomorrow.

I think I'm supposed to pack for a road trip, too....no worries, I never unpacked from Primm. :D

Re: S.O.B. build - Schiz O Build (build)

Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:45 pm
by TimS
Interested in the cleaner... what is it and how well did it work?

That is one shiny engine. What deck height did you target? I was told .050 for my application.

Re: S.O.B. build - Schiz O Build (build)

Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:56 am
by kyle_pc_75
The same, .050.

The pushrod tubes were out of a pile of junk stuff, I can't find the ones from this motor. They have some weird calcium deposit looking stuff on them, Purple Degreaser didn't work. I think I'm going to junk them, don't want to chance that stuff getting loose inside my engine.

Time to hunt through the garage for my other ones.