More Pics from another camping trip in Clyde........ He still continues to do well on the road... I still have the nuisance oil leak at the main seal..... maybe i'll fix it this year... It leaks just enough to wet the oil pan .....
These are pics from Transporters @ the Point campout in Morgans Point Texas last weekend..
And... you'll notice my new Cargo carrier i setup on Clyde.... it worked great .... I had it loaded down with firewood for the trip down there..... camping gear for the trip back...
Here are some pics from my latest trip .... went camping in Arkansas again... this time to Queen Wilhelmina State Park.... It's the second highest mountain in the state ... loosing to 1st place by 200 feet... Nice cool nights and beautiful scenery....
Clyde developed a bad oil leak at the rear seal .... much worse than it has always had.... I put some expensive stop-leak in it for now and finished my weekend.. Made a 3 hour trip home just fine... the stop-leak reduced it to barely any leak at all..... Never trust chemicals for repairs but hey it got me home..
Just the same.... I'll be pulling the engine to replace the seal soon.... I may paint the engine bay and change the clutch while it's out too...
Well Clyde is in my shop and getting ready for the engine drop.... I setup the wiring and hoses so i can drop the motor back 5" and lower it to the floor ...and never disconnect the coolant hoses... 4.5 Gallons of coolant are a pain to drain and store while working on it.... not to mention that extra 1/2 gallon you miss and then find when you move the motor a little...all over yourself and the shop floor..
First thing i'll have to do is drop the trailer hitch and rear bumper and apron... from there the exhaust and oil pan... ... I will be installing a new pan gasket , rear main seal, clutch disk while it's down...... I'll post some pics as the work starts...
Started today........ I was able to drop the motor without draining any coolant... and only disconnecting only electrical bits... Made it easier ....
Pulled the oilpan for inspection and gasket replacement.... Everything looked great...
All the misc stuff i had to remove to get to the meat and potato's of the job..
The clutch / flywheel looked great... I'm gonna install a new disc while i'm in there... the one in there had 20000 miles approx. and still was in good shape..
hello...im building a lifted bus myself....sort of...its an 1972 crossover bay bus....my theme is sahara/ww2 look....
im in the progress of lowering my gearbox and motor....so my question is how did you do with the gear shift linkage...??? im thinking to move the hole thing down or fabricating an relocator....but im lowering it about 5 "
kirk356 wrote:im in the progress of lowering my gearbox and motor....so my question is how did you do with the gear shift linkage...??? im thinking to move the hole thing down or fabricating an relocator....but im lowering it about 5 "
anyone have some ideers
thanks thomas
Hey Thomas... I didn't have to move any thing to do my lift.. My lift is suspension only.... Transaxle and front beam are in the stock location ... as is the shift linkage...all stock..... I had raised spindles up front and built a custom lift kit for the rear...
Just made a weekend run to the Texas Vw Classic in Central Texas.. We had a steady 30 mph headwind going down from North Louisiana.... I had a battle with some major crosswinds gusting to 40mph... Man that sucked...
Clyde did pretty well on the trip... 850 miles round trip @ 42 Gallons. comes to a 20.20 mpg average.... Now going down i know i was getting like 17mpg in the headwind...
Nicest part about the V6 conversion is not having to slow down on hills.... able to hold a steady and constant speed regardless........
Last edited by fastmc25 on Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If that wasn't yours, it was one nearly identical to yours. Only saw it once a couple of years back. One of those vehicles you don't forget... unlike a Honda Accord.
1 question. How Heavy is the V6 engine..`? planning on putting a Rolls Royce V8 back in mine but dont now if it to heavy..
Regards Tommy Hummel.. Denmark
Hi, The 60 degree V6 Chevy weighs 350lbs. vs. 311lbs. that the type 4 weighs... not much difference in weight but a ton more reliable power and torque.
Nothing to report...... Clyde is still going strong........ Keep thinking of upgrading the Solar system with a remote mount 135watt cell.... it would be pole mounted and plugged into the system for extended stays and more power.... More to come..
Clyde will be getting some "LOVE" this weekend... I need to change oil, Check CV bolts, clean and tighten all electrical connections on the charging/starting system...
I still need to install new park brake cables ... I keep putting it off...