The POS is a goer once more..... But....
-
madmike
- Posts: 3146
- Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:11 pm
Re: The POS is a goer once more..... But....
You running a good crank&rods & good oil system??? if so step it up to a 8000 chip an shift it like u stoled it
get a 2step and try launch at 2- 3 or 4k ect. if it bogs go higher
Most of all "HAVE FUN"!! wish I was down there
it's F@#$&$# ing -10* C. and a foot of Snow on the ground

- Chip Birks
- Posts: 4057
- Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:59 pm
Re: The POS is a goer once more..... But....
The MPH doesn't scream 12s. Mid to low 13's are probably on par with 101mph in an all steel bug. What kind of whp did it make? 165ish? How much boost are you running?
-
Humpty
- Posts: 855
- Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2001 12:01 am
Re: The POS is a goer once more..... But....
Yeah you are right there of course Chip, but high 12's are feasible, but not likely.... No idea on hp, but yes I would agree with you on hp given the et and mph that it's currently getting.... But everyone must remember... These numbers are the result of not one good clean power run.... the car is stopping dead in the gear changes on account of the rev limiter.... I need to learn to drive the car way better and stop the limiter from killing the drive and boost.
Can't do a '2 step' with Megajolt.... So that's out currently.... I have been thinking of fitting Megasquirt ECU I have on the shelf and chatting to Chip about the '2 step' mods.... I'm a little weary of that sort of driving Mike.... This engine will not cope with that sort of behaviour... I only have stock 8mm head studs and a cam (ENGLE 120) that is designed for a max of 6500 rpm (from what I have read)... With the current 12psi of max boost available, I feel I'm at the limit of this engine... 9lbs FW, DMS CW crank and stock BERG rods with over 200,000kms on them is really asking a lot.... The new engine is better suited to that sort of treatment....
Can't do a '2 step' with Megajolt.... So that's out currently.... I have been thinking of fitting Megasquirt ECU I have on the shelf and chatting to Chip about the '2 step' mods.... I'm a little weary of that sort of driving Mike.... This engine will not cope with that sort of behaviour... I only have stock 8mm head studs and a cam (ENGLE 120) that is designed for a max of 6500 rpm (from what I have read)... With the current 12psi of max boost available, I feel I'm at the limit of this engine... 9lbs FW, DMS CW crank and stock BERG rods with over 200,000kms on them is really asking a lot.... The new engine is better suited to that sort of treatment....
-
Clonebug
- Posts: 4763
- Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:28 pm
Re: The POS is a goer once more..... But....
Shift faster....
You probably don't need to rev it all the way to the limiter. Try shifting at 6000 rpm.
You will still be in boost unless your rpm's fall to low and your turbo takes a bit to respool......
You probably don't need to rev it all the way to the limiter. Try shifting at 6000 rpm.
You will still be in boost unless your rpm's fall to low and your turbo takes a bit to respool......
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
-
madmike
- Posts: 3146
- Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:11 pm
Re: The POS is a goer once more..... But....
I have a W120 in my NA 2332 and all though it suppose to be all done around 6k my gearing is also to short and it does rev to 8k in the 1/8th mile,my motor is tired too
unknown mileage on old Porsche rods
,, Is this Bug a daily Driver? if not strip it
take ever little thing that is not needed off,Oz's add up to Lbs,,Glass or lexan windows? Maybe borrow some taller slicks from a Mate? Might help with gearing? Helped me a little
Didn't know your boost was limited
What the "next" Motor gonna be??? Good luck & have Fun!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
Humpty
- Posts: 855
- Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2001 12:01 am
Re: The POS is a goer once more..... But....
Intake worked well, in fact.... It works extremely well... The car felt very strong and way cleaner AFR's... I also put more fuel in too, which has not effected the low speed AFR's, but the high speed/boost AFR's are looking very nice with no more lean out in the top end....
But not all news from tonight's racing is good.... The clutch is not handling the boost.
I want to see what I can get out of an all steel car, with glass and all.... It's not a street car anymore, but to run in street events I have to run all lights and complete interior.... Muffler too, with a covered engine.... I have run the engine to over 7k in the past, but given the speed in which is gets there with the turbo, I'm scared it will blow itself to bits.... Especially the OEM fan.... I have seen those explode with high/fast revs.... The tyres are M&H Cheaters, which are pretty tall at 26", but given that I am the only VW racing in this part of the world, the likelihood of me finding a taller set to borrow is limited.
But since the engine has to come out, I'll replace the OEM fan with a welded BERG one I have sitting here... And it's time for an upgrade in the clutch department..... Suggestions?
PS:.... Very cool rail you have there Mike!
But not all news from tonight's racing is good.... The clutch is not handling the boost.
I want to see what I can get out of an all steel car, with glass and all.... It's not a street car anymore, but to run in street events I have to run all lights and complete interior.... Muffler too, with a covered engine.... I have run the engine to over 7k in the past, but given the speed in which is gets there with the turbo, I'm scared it will blow itself to bits.... Especially the OEM fan.... I have seen those explode with high/fast revs.... The tyres are M&H Cheaters, which are pretty tall at 26", but given that I am the only VW racing in this part of the world, the likelihood of me finding a taller set to borrow is limited.
But since the engine has to come out, I'll replace the OEM fan with a welded BERG one I have sitting here... And it's time for an upgrade in the clutch department..... Suggestions?
PS:.... Very cool rail you have there Mike!
-
madmike
- Posts: 3146
- Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:11 pm
Re: The POS is a goer once more..... But....
Thanks
Not Many Racing VW's in my neck of the woods,, ether
Ever try an removing the belt for a pass??? on my o'l dragbug ran a loose belt,I just let it slip ,and kept a spare belt in the tool box
Didn't know about them rules
Muffler with a Turbo??? that sux
I use just a solid OEM type disc and a HD pressure plate in the Dragster,but it's just a IDA motor,I have a Black Magic w/stock plate in the Turbo tub buggy but I'm changing to a Old Berg disc I got at a swap meet has sintered metal on one side a stock on the other,I want to save my syncro rings in the trans and that Black Magic is heavy
but it don't slip
I hear good things about Copperhead disc,but never tried one, I look at it like this ,,something has got to slip or the trans will break,, and the disc is the cheaper route 
-
Clonebug
- Posts: 4763
- Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:28 pm
Re: The POS is a goer once more..... But....
I am running a Kennedy Stage I with a CB Super Disc and have no slippage with my 1679 cc turbo engine. It will spin my 275/60-15 tires when I hit second gear hard.
It's good for 180 ft. lbs. of torque according to the website.
Mario was running I think a Stage II and was getting 230 plus ft. lbs breakaway on his. I don't remember the disc he was using.
There will be a definite pedal change with a heavier pressure plate. I can tell the difference on my Stage I.
It's good for 180 ft. lbs. of torque according to the website.
Mario was running I think a Stage II and was getting 230 plus ft. lbs breakaway on his. I don't remember the disc he was using.
There will be a definite pedal change with a heavier pressure plate. I can tell the difference on my Stage I.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
-
Humpty
- Posts: 855
- Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2001 12:01 am
Re: The POS is a goer once more..... But....
My bro has a Stage 3 with a stock disc on his boosted WRX powered Notchback.... The pedal is not too heavy, and it doesn't slip at all.... I called Rod Penrose in NSW about the issue this morning, and after a little to'ing and fro'ing, he suggested the Stage 3 with the KEP Gold disc that's in the car would be a good option for a full weight car on Slicks.... Not recommended on a street car he said, but given that the POS is purely a 'racecar' (in street trim), then this would give me a bit of boost room, should I want to push more into it.... He suggested the KEP Gold disc was a good product for a mild torque engine such as mine, and would be a little more forgiving on the transaxle too...
Plus I must send out a massive 'thank you' to everyone here on STF.... The advise and support is awesome and fully appreciated.
Plus I must send out a massive 'thank you' to everyone here on STF.... The advise and support is awesome and fully appreciated.
- Chip Birks
- Posts: 4057
- Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:59 pm
Re: The POS is a goer once more..... But....
As far as clutch goes, I went probably fairly overkill on mine. But it doesn't slip. It also drives pretty nice. KEP Stage 3 with ACE Diamond back and the long arm on the trans. Its held a measured 278whp, and since then I've gone bigger on the cam and turbo and added 6 psi to the combo, it will break the tires loose rolling into the throttle as boost increases, clutch is still not slipping. This is in my heavy 60, all steel w/glass windows, full interior, w/RLR roll bar and other engine accessories.
One advantage to the whole 2 step thing is that it will make boost wherever you tell it too. Back when I had my stock trans and smaller motor, I had the 2 step set at around 2500 rpm. I could stand on the throttle with the clutch depressed and it would rev up to 2500 and start popping, boost would come up to spring pressure, and then I could let it rip. Unfortunately tires were always an issue back then and it would spin hard. My point is simply this; you don't need to rev it to 7k to get a good, boost backed launch out of it. Set your two step high enough that the car doesn't bog out of the hole and run with it. Obviously, you will need to install the 2 step before any of this applies. I HIGHLY recommend it.
Does your motor have 200,000km on the bearings, or just the parts? Does it sound like its going to come apart? It sounds like you have good parts in there, I know my dad had Berg rods in his 74x92 motor for around 20 years, they saw 9k a couple of times, as well as 260whp in a draw through turbo application. They are good rods. I don't see any reason why you can't add a few hundred RPM to your combo.
One advantage to the whole 2 step thing is that it will make boost wherever you tell it too. Back when I had my stock trans and smaller motor, I had the 2 step set at around 2500 rpm. I could stand on the throttle with the clutch depressed and it would rev up to 2500 and start popping, boost would come up to spring pressure, and then I could let it rip. Unfortunately tires were always an issue back then and it would spin hard. My point is simply this; you don't need to rev it to 7k to get a good, boost backed launch out of it. Set your two step high enough that the car doesn't bog out of the hole and run with it. Obviously, you will need to install the 2 step before any of this applies. I HIGHLY recommend it.
Does your motor have 200,000km on the bearings, or just the parts? Does it sound like its going to come apart? It sounds like you have good parts in there, I know my dad had Berg rods in his 74x92 motor for around 20 years, they saw 9k a couple of times, as well as 260whp in a draw through turbo application. They are good rods. I don't see any reason why you can't add a few hundred RPM to your combo.
-
Humpty
- Posts: 855
- Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2001 12:01 am
Re: The POS is a goer once more..... But....
The bottom-end hasn't been pulled down since 1994 Chip... The heads got freshened up, new exhaust valves and guides and some copper shims 3 years ago.... Cylinders got a light hone and new rings... That's it.... Didn't even touch the front seal!
But this is the result of todays efforts.... Engine is out for the first time in 3 years....

Almost forgot how to do it!!!!
Got to replace the axle gators, pull the PP off the FW and fit the new Stage III KEP PP in there when that arrives... Will change the front seal while I'm here, and pull the cooling fan off and whack in the BERG welded/balanced fan....
Also... My mate Reub was over this morning, and we pulled the body of the 'new' pan.... And he started on stripping the suspension off that... Will prolly have that finished tomorrow, then I'll be ready to make a start on the narrowing and lifting of the torsion housing.
Fun times ahead!
But this is the result of todays efforts.... Engine is out for the first time in 3 years....

Almost forgot how to do it!!!!
Got to replace the axle gators, pull the PP off the FW and fit the new Stage III KEP PP in there when that arrives... Will change the front seal while I'm here, and pull the cooling fan off and whack in the BERG welded/balanced fan....
Also... My mate Reub was over this morning, and we pulled the body of the 'new' pan.... And he started on stripping the suspension off that... Will prolly have that finished tomorrow, then I'll be ready to make a start on the narrowing and lifting of the torsion housing.
Fun times ahead!
-
Steve Arndt
- Posts: 7420
- Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2001 12:01 am
Re: The POS is a goer once more..... But....
Stage 3 is death on the knee, buy orthopedic stock...
Steve
My Baja Build
My Baja Build
-
Humpty
- Posts: 855
- Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2001 12:01 am
Re: The POS is a goer once more..... But....
Not too bad with the long clutch arm (my brother runs one in his WRX powered Notch), but this car is not a street car... Going hydraulic on the new pan, so no biggie in the short term.
-
madmike
- Posts: 3146
- Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:11 pm
Re: The POS is a goer once more..... But....
OK,I thought you had the bus trans already installed 
-
Humpty
- Posts: 855
- Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2001 12:01 am
Re: The POS is a goer once more..... But....
madmike wrote:OK,I thought you had the bus trans already installed
Not yet.... That's to go in the new chassis I'm building up... In the meantime, the car in it's current form will continue to be hammered mercilessly at every opportunity.