Rewiring Buggy - Build Up Thread

Every car has an electrical system. Here's the place to learn all about it.
User avatar
The Wild Kids
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:12 pm

Post by The Wild Kids »

Soldering is a fail safe that is much needed if you are riding off road in my opinion. I have seen Petronix Ignition fried on several occassions, one whole wiring loom go up in smoke in about 3 seconds. So, it is better to go ahead and spend the extra time to solder every connection.

The wild kids
User avatar
MNAirHead
Posts: 9570
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:12 am

Post by MNAirHead »

Why did the loom go up in smoke.. grounded choke wire?
User avatar
The Wild Kids
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:12 pm

Post by The Wild Kids »

Not sure really, the guy went to start up his buggy and we saw somme sparks and the next second you could see the wires smoldering. Only thing that I can think of is he had a bare spot that grounded out some how. It fried his petronix and everything else including his CB.

The Wild Kids
User avatar
The Wild Kids
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:12 pm

Post by The Wild Kids »

Spent part of the day threading the wiring through how I wanted it to go. Well after several attempts in different areas I am not happy at how it is looking. So I am rethinking how I want to run the wiring.

I did learn something while I was soldering. When you are at the end of the spool of solder it is way easier to get another spool than to try and hold onto it to finish a few spots. Burnt my finger on the tip and boy was it hot. I know I should have used a pair of needle nose and it would have worked the same. Just didn't want to stop long enough to grab a pair. OH well live and learn. I didn't post any pictures because I am still looking at the alternatives on the harness. More coming soon.

The Wild Kids
User avatar
The Wild Kids
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:12 pm

Post by The Wild Kids »

I have the buggy wired up and ready to start. Ran into a brick wall trying to find out why it would click, turn over or anything. I found it today after letting it sit for awhile to clear my head and anger. All checked out right on the wiring everything in its right spot, so I had to look at other things that could cause the problem. FOUND IT< the starter solinoid was stuck in the on position and fried itself. Don't know how that happened but it did. Got another starter and battery and everything is fine and good to go, I hope. Going riding tomorrow to find out for sure and test a few things. Talk to you guys later, its time to enjoy it for a change.

The Wild Kids
Post Reply