Dirt cheap build from a newbie

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
User avatar
rickosuave1987
Posts: 4640
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:15 pm

Post by rickosuave1987 »

looks to me like that fancy chrome stinger isnt attached just yet and is sitting on the stock headers :wink:
Baja
HookIt

GK Electric & Suave Racing - Looking for sponsors!!
SuaveRacing FaceBook
Thank you to SuaveRacing Sponsors for your support!
User avatar
Leatherneck
Moderator
Posts: 17104
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:47 pm

Post by Leatherneck »

Yup talking to Jack and Jim will hurt ya but it is ok if your listening to Bob. Ricko nailed it.
User avatar
Sneaks
Posts: 1653
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:32 am

Post by Sneaks »

I figured I'd set it out back cuz when I had it in the passenger seat, it really messed people up:)

Once I finish getting the body panels lined up, I'm going to pull the motor to clean/paint/replace clutch....and mount the exhaust.
User avatar
Sneaks
Posts: 1653
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:32 am

Post by Sneaks »

Ok, so a quick update on my progress. I couldn't find Ospho locally, but I did find this stuff by Thompson's for concrete etching at my local Ace Hardware that ended up working pretty good for rust treatment. I hit my pan, dash, interior, under the hood and spots on the body that had flash rust or non-crusty spots. Worked well, got a nice blue/black coating on all of it and once I washed off the white film, it primed nicely. I also pulled my engine and replaced the clutch and generally cleaned it up, then painted the tin. I still need to do some detailing but it looks 100% better. Plus, I finally mounted my exhaust!! Once it stops raining, I'll grab some progress pics. I was going to do it yesterday but went up to the CTS and modified race at NHMS instead. I'm going to start working on the bulkhead for the trunk this week as well as figuring out a gas tank. I've brought my seats inside to start getting them in shape be used to sit on. I've finally figured out how I'm going to wire it up (with lots of help from browsing the Electronics forum, thanks!!!). If the weather holds, I just might hit my target.
User avatar
Sneaks
Posts: 1653
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:32 am

Post by Sneaks »

Picture update:

See, exhaust!!

Image

The front is coming along

Image

My Ospho substitute

Image
User avatar
Leatherneck
Moderator
Posts: 17104
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:47 pm

Post by Leatherneck »

Sneaks what are you going to do about the exhaust plug/cover? Looking pretty good, sure is clean. :D
User avatar
perrib
Posts: 1891
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:00 pm

Post by perrib »

It is looking good. When I did my all steel Baja I weled in segments of the bottom of the fenders to give the fenders a finished look and sections of two hood to make a mini shortened stock looking hood. I used two square Rabbit head lights mounted under the hood for the bugeye look. I made it look like VW made it.
Image

Image
User avatar
Sneaks
Posts: 1653
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:32 am

Post by Sneaks »

Leatherneck wrote:Sneaks what are you going to do about the exhaust plug/cover? Looking pretty good, sure is clean. :D
I"m not sure yet, where I'm planning on driving it in all-weather, I think I need something better than a squirt bottle stuck in it. I do have another muffler for it, a bobcat style but I'd like to stick with the stinger if I can. Has anyone tried a flapper like on diesel trucks? As for looking clean, thanks, I hope one day to change all of that!!!

perrib, that is a cool looking ride. I really like the way you did it, kinda badass look to it.
User avatar
perrib
Posts: 1891
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:00 pm

Post by perrib »

The flapper works great but everyone will tease you but that is better than replacing rusted cylinders.

You could do it quickly to yours just don't do any finish work. You will find sectioning pieces of the fender edges is real easy. Just paint right over the welds.
User avatar
Sneaks
Posts: 1653
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:32 am

Post by Sneaks »

I might give that a try. I still need to cut more off along the sides and bottoms to get the look I want but I like the leading edges (and trailing on the rears). I've kept all the pieces I've cut off so sectioning wouldn't be too bad, well, removing my welding skills from the equation. It would give me more to do so I don't have to tackle the wiring yet. Can you tell I'm avoiding that part?
User avatar
fusername
Posts: 6806
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:26 am

Post by fusername »

HEY! time for an update!

flapper for the stinger available at tractor supply, right off rt 3.
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.

Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
RedEvilrps13
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:02 pm

Post by RedEvilrps13 »

ANOTHER NEW ENGLAND BEETLE!!

NICE!!

we should all meet up some time!
User avatar
Sneaks
Posts: 1653
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:32 am

Post by Sneaks »

I am alive. I have been dealing with some health and other issues but I'm pretty much past that now. I have no garage and right now my car is one of the big white lumps on my side yard. I've been collecting parts when I can for this and my daughter's car, mostly little stuff but I did score a nice progressive (yeh, I know, not the same as duals but I've got experience with them over the years on racing inline fours and I like them) with intake for Chrissy's car and a Stewart Warner heater for mine and some decent seats out of a Cavalier that look like they will fit pretty well. I still need to find a baffle/insert for my stinger, though I do have a turbo muffler if I need it.

I'm getting sick of this snow, I want to work on the beast. Grrr. As soon as I can get to it, the next task is to wire it up. I have my tree bars and rear bumper in my basement ready to paint. I want to build a front bumper as well as a simple cage. If I can't get the gumption to buy/build a bender, fusername has graciously offered the use of his.
I think you southern guys need to send some warm weather up this way, I saw yesterday it was in the 80s in Tx. I'm pissed.
tragicmagicman
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:59 pm

great build

Post by tragicmagicman »

great build, keep it comin'
User avatar
fusername
Posts: 6806
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:26 am

Post by fusername »

yeah i am busy motivvating my cousin to work on his samuria so he can join us, do i need to drive up and start harrasing you too? updates, we need updates. or atleast photos to prove you still even have the car and aren't just trying to fit in.
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.

Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
Post Reply