Page 3 of 58
Re: Devastator's upgrade
Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:57 pm
by Devastator
Getrdone wrote:It is best to know where a project came from and watch it materialize.
I posted the only digital pics I have of the before time frame. Is there something else you'd like to see?
Dev
Re: Devastator's upgrade
Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:31 pm
by Leatherneck
IT is just good for you and us to see what your starting with and pics along the way. The old adage a pic is worth a thousand words. It just helps all concerned to see what your talking about almost as much as telling what your working on. Pics also give ideas to other projects. Trust me you will go back and look at what you have done many times in the future.
Re: Devastator's upgrade
Posted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:25 am
by Devastator
Leatherneck wrote:IT is just good for you and us to see what your starting with and pics along the way.
I don't have think I have anymore digital pictures of the sandrail before I took it apart, except for what I posted. I guess I don't understand what other pictures I should post. I' completely willing to offer up anything I can. Just let me know what that might be. That Youtube video was taken almost a year ago, and before I started this project.
So, here's another pic of the, mostly finished, driver's side trailing arm. The long bar extending to the floor is to hold it up.

Dev
Re: Devastator's upgrade
Posted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:24 am
by Ol'fogasaurus
You have done a fine job on both your build and the information you that have presented us; especially on how you set-up and leveled the torsion bar and started the rebuild off that. I think we made things a little hard for you by asking for so much extra from you but when the chance comes; it is hard to pass on getting those extra bits of information. My thanks again.
Lee
Re: Devastator's upgrade
Posted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:56 am
by Devastator
Ol'fogasaurus wrote:I think we made things a little hard for you by asking for so much extra from you but when the chance comes; it is hard to pass on getting those extra bits of information. My thanks again.
I'm glad someone else, (other than myself), is taking an interest in it. I'm happy to post more, more, more. I just don't know what more, more, more, to post.
Chime in with suggestions...anyone....anyone?
Dev
Re: Devastator's upgrade
Posted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:52 am
by Ol'fogasaurus
As an interesting side light (to me anyways); this last week my wife, step-daughter and I along with the couple we often travel with were motor homing in Moses Lake. One of the couples, in the spot next to our friends, happened to be someone we talked to in CA several years ago. It also turned out that he worked for the same company I did but he was a machinist and worked with several different types of lathes and milling machines. I was able to talk with him about setups and other machine setup things to help me with destroying tools with my Smithy

. Your posts did help me understand some of the things he was talking about; I also got more information on stuff you talked about from him.
You never know where information is going to pop up do you!
Lee
Re: Devastator's upgrade
Posted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:52 pm
by MarioVelotta
Great vid!
Where is that? Looks super fun!
Re: Devastator's upgrade
Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:02 am
by Devastator
MarioVelotta wrote:Great vid!
Where is that? Looks super fun!
Thanks. That was taken at the Imperial Sand Dunes in CA, on the complete opposite end of the dunes from Glamis.
Re: Devastator's upgrade
Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:20 pm
by Devastator
Short update.
Last weekend I fabbed up and welded my other trailing arm. Tonight, I cut a paper template for a plate that will cover some less than attractive welds. Transferred the template to steel and cut it out on the bandsaw. A little die grinding and belt sanding, then welded it on. Still needs a little more welding and grinding, but I needed to go make dinner for my daughter and myself.
Re: Devastator's upgrade
Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:05 pm
by Leatherneck
Looks good! Whats for dinner?
Re: Devastator's upgrade
Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm
by Devastator
Seasoned and grilled chicken breast with garlic butter steamed green beans. Mmmmm gooood.

Re: Devastator's upgrade
Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:24 am
by Devastator
I finished my trailing arms finally. Well, almost finished them. I tacked on shock mounts after painting them, (I know, I know, but I was so excited that I got carried away with the paint).
I decided to post the method I used to measure the gap between 2 bars so I could cut a gusset to fit in between them. As usual, I don't know how others do it, but this is how I did.
First I measured the gap with a set of old school calipers. You can get a set of these at Harbor Freight for under $15 and you get inside, depth, and outside tools.
Next I transfer this measurement to a piece of steel I had already notched, (at an angle thank you), and cut it on the chop saw. Viola! Fits perfectly. I did the same thing for my front engine mount and a few other gussets during this build.
Re: Devastator's upgrade
Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:30 am
by Devastator
Here's a shot of one of the trailing arms, (without the aforementioned shock mount), with the paint still drying. Can you see the bugs landing on it and embedding themselves in my paint?

Next is a shot of the trailing arms mounted on the sandrail so I can start the upper shock mounts. I ordered all four shock and springs form FOA yesterday. I'm so excited I nearly peed myself.
Re: Devastator's upgrade
Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:01 pm
by Leatherneck
Keep up with the detail. I am stealing ideas all the time.

Re: Devastator's upgrade
Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:16 pm
by Devastator
Leatherneck wrote:I am stealing ideas all the time.
It's not stealing if I give them away. Don't worry though, I won't be stealing your paint job just to show you up.
Thanks for reading my updates.
