Page 3 of 6

Re: Autocross 58 ragtop, soon with EJ22 Subaru power.

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:25 pm
by crimson ghost
In for updates :D

Re: Autocross 58 ragtop, soon with EJ22 Subaru power.

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:58 pm
by volkdent
Just one more option for the coolant line, I cut out my jack mounts so the coolant lines tuck right into the notch between the body and the pan. The little plastic tap was just a thought, and I ended up with a much better and simpler option of cutting small slots at the top part of the pan lip to allow a hose clamp go through, then it wraps around the coolant line and back around again, tucking the line in that gap tightly and simply and out of the way from getting squashed or damaged. I used pieces of a rad hose behind the cooland line to keep it from rubbing on the pan, right under where the hose clamps clamp.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Jason

Re: Autocross 58 ragtop, soon with EJ22 Subaru power.

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:12 pm
by 55superbeetle
That looks really good! I'm still pissed I wasn't at Bugorama to meet you and check out your car in person. Your car looks very very cool, I love the look!

Re: Autocross 58 ragtop, soon with EJ22 Subaru power.

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:17 pm
by capsoval
Hey Jason, what ever happened with your Go-Pro's from BOR67. Ive been waiting to check out your incars.

Re: Autocross 58 ragtop, soon with EJ22 Subaru power.

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:49 pm
by volkdent
Sorry, my nube attempt ended up erasing the shots! I think I had them, but I didn't have the software set to start automatically, so all I saw was a single frame, thought I screwed up the settings for recording, and erased it! :/

Re: Autocross 58 ragtop, soon with EJ22 Subaru power.

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:43 am
by Humble
D: That sucks, guess you'll just have to come out the the next autox and get some in car footage ;) I believe a couple of the buggies come down from your end of the bay

Re: Autocross 58 ragtop, soon with EJ22 Subaru power.

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:54 am
by MinamiKotaro
Tagging for future reference.

Re: Autocross 58 ragtop, soon with EJ22 Subaru power.

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:41 pm
by itawolf
still looking good roach!! dang your car looks like mone!!! U still have that photo i sent ya??

and since the twisters came thru here...ive been finding parts all over the place!!!

Hint hint!! I need a 60or older gas tank!! hince mine is FLAT!!!

Re: Autocross 58 ragtop, soon with EJ22 Subaru power.

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:15 pm
by itawolf
$10 gas tank??? i see it written on the tank!! i want/NEED one!!

Re: Autocross 58 ragtop, soon with EJ22 Subaru power.

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:42 am
by roachghia70
itawolf wrote:$10 gas tank??? i see it written on the tank!! i want/NEED one!!
PM sent

Re: Autocross 58 ragtop, soon with EJ22 Subaru power.

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:00 pm
by itawolf
THX Roach

I guess im gonna have to Samba to see more of ur build!! Shame on u!! :lol:

looking good bro

pm sent back

Re: Autocross 58 ragtop, soon with EJ22 Subaru power.

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:44 am
by panel
Just read this post...........Love the clean install :!:

Image

Re: Autocross 58 ragtop, soon with EJ22 Subaru power.

Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:56 pm
by surfbeetle
Can you tell me about the radiator, what is it, where did you get it and cost if you don't mind? I'm undecided on what radiator to use at the moment. I want the tanks on the sides like yours but so far all I have found that are in the approximate measurements is a civic radiator that has top/bottom tanks.
thanks

Re: Autocross 58 ragtop, soon with EJ22 Subaru power.

Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:47 am
by roachghia70
Long overdue updates!!

1. A new look:
Image
Image
Image

2. Autocross in-car video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlgOVlUQQEY&feature=plcp

I seized the engine in that video. Watch for the tiny itty bitty flicker of the red oil light at 1:21. Damn. That was the second seizure due to oil starvation, so I got a 3 quart Accusump and am in the process of installing it this weekend.

3. To fix it, I found a 140,000 mile engine at Picknpull for $159.
Image
Image
Image

I got it installed and running, but drove it around the block and it made no oil pressure once it got hot. So I took it back there and got store credit. Look how clean it is, sitting in the junk bin!

Image

Next, I bought a $120 engine off Craigslist, and it is in the car and running now! whoo-hoo!

Re: Autocross 58 ragtop, soon with EJ22 Subaru power.

Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:29 am
by roachghia70
4. Since it runs and he hates it when my cars run, Jeff (55Superbeetle) talked me into turbocharging it. He gave me a free WRX turbo, and offered to TIG all the stainless tubing. Sooooo....

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

This thing is going to have amazing ground clearance now!! Jeff has done amazing work so far, even taking the time to fill the piping with welding gas on the inside while welding on the outside. All to promote a cleaner and stronger weld. You can see the tape plugging the holes that won't get hot, and aluminum foil on the hole that did get hot. you can also see the clear hose feeding gas inside:
Image

Maybe some of you are used to that kind of stuff, but I was blown away. Like NASA itself was building my doodlebug header. haha

He's planning to have the charge pipe and intake pipe done this weekend. I'll update with more pictures soon!


5. Finally, new wheels:
Image
Image
Image
Image

17x9 rear, 17x7 front. Rota "Fox" replica RSR Fuchs.