Page 3 of 7

Re: New Intake

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:00 am
by Wally
Image

:mrgreen:

Re: New Intake

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:17 pm
by Steve Arndt
Please educate us on your flow numbers? Did you compare to other intakes?

Re: New Intake

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:57 pm
by Wally
We could only compare to my former 1600i manifold that we measured with and without last year. That gave way less CFM.
The SP1 manifold gave a very nice positive CFM hence the :mrgreen:

I can't disclose how much exactly as I might need the flow sheets for a magazine article.
So, sorry, no numbers, I can only confirm that the manifold works (very) well for me and that it was educational to learn what makes the numbers rise and what does not.

Re: New Intake

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:41 pm
by andy198712
cool, whats your new target for the 1200 then?!?!?

Re: New Intake

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:26 am
by Wally
andy198712 wrote:cool, whats your new target for the 1200 then?!?!?
Same as last year: 200 flywheel hp or 175 wheel-hp :wink:

Re: New Intake

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:26 am
by andy198712
Wally wrote:
andy198712 wrote:cool, whats your new target for the 1200 then?!?!?
Same as last year: 200 flywheel hp or 175 wheel-hp :wink:

bet your feeling more confident this year :shock:

Re: New Intake

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:39 am
by Paul H
Here's a shot of the 58mm
Image

Each half is the same area as a 43mm diameter circle
You can just see the high mount injector ports coming through-they aim straight into the middle of the intake port

Re: New Intake

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:06 am
by Steve Arndt
Thanks for that picture.

How do you have the vacuum ports configured and placed? Is there a single, or two ports for each?

Re: New Intake

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:54 am
by Paul H
Steve
If you mean the vac take off for map sensor,servo,regulator etc then you can
see those on the very first pic on this thread-just hiding behind the throttle lever.
1/4npt both sides

Re: New Intake

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:27 am
by Kalle
Paul H wrote:Looking good
Personally I'd go for a Tee section in 2.5 for three reasons :-
Firstly- I don't think you would gain anything from a fancy seagull tee or Y section
Secondly -the fabricated Y will add a lot more length and maybe give you headaches with clearance especially with the barrel chargecooler.
Thirdly- In effect you will be splitting the runner and then the up pipe or cooler becomes the "plenum chamber" which may or may not have an adverse effect
With that charge cooler I'd even be tempted to weld a 2.5 or 3 inch diameter pipe straight across the outlet and then neck it down to 2.25 to take the silicon hose for a very compact induction
Thanks Paul, here is a test mock up I did today from some 3" pipes before I go ahead and order alu pipes and bends. It will be a T like you say due to space issues but inside the T I will bend a thin plate into a V shape and weld it on the "roof". I will hide the vacuum ports and the BOV on the back of the "plenum" tube. On each side I will use silicone bending reducers and I will also make two fasteners so that I can bolt the plenum on the two upper bolts for the alternator/fan house. The total length of the plenum is 82 cm. so the volume will be 2.3 - 2.4 liters which is quite close to where I wish to be.

Image

-BB-

Re: New Intake

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:33 am
by Paul H
Kalle
That looks very neat and tidy.
Are the bends 45 degree at each end and then you will use 45 degree silicone reducer bends ?
Do you think the deck lid will close without standoffs ?
Cheers
Paul

Re: New Intake

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:01 am
by Wally
Paul H wrote: Do you think the deck lid will close without standoffs ?
Cheers
Paul
I am dead certain it will. I know Kalle will not leave home before that is accomplished again 8)
He doesn't even have cut his deck lid for vert breathing vents...
Damn purists! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Re: New Intake

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:36 am
by Kalle
Thank you guys,

Yes I will be able to close the lid without stand offs. I will place the plenum tube as close to the fan house as absolutely possible and it runs "behind" the breather filter in the picture even though it is difficult (read impossible) to see on picture above. You're right Paul, the bends are 45 degree and I will use 45 degree silicone reducers instead of gradually decreasing the size on the pipe itself. I think that will work fine. I will either polish the whole intake system or get it (including the IC) powder coated satin black with wrinkles.

-BB-

Re: New Intake

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:55 am
by Paul H
Kalle I prefer the polished ally myself :wink:
Just started to port a pair of 58mm manifolds to match up to some CB Ultramags (big oval port)
There is plenty of material to take out but it shouldn't take too long with the monster die grinder
I acquired recently

Re: New Intake

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:11 am
by Wally
Paul H wrote: the monster die grinder
I acquired recently
Picture! pretty please.. 8)