Page 3 of 4

Re: restoring a junk yard 1971 Karmann Ghia convertible

Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:26 am
by FJCamper
Gentlemen,

On the subject of altering the pedal cluster or even seat alignment, when I drove (decades ago) I myself was always OK with stock. But once in the 21st century when we got involved in racing VW's on a regular basis, one of our drivers (who was not weaned on VW's) wanted more space between the clutch and brake pedals. We used the Unique kit, and it suited all the drivers.

Something unmentioned so far here is gas pedal and brake pedal placement for heel-and-toe driving. VW got it right.

Heel-and-toe is a technique for minimizing RPM loss beteen shifts with quicker braking response thrown in. The heel of your accellerator foot stays in place while you pivot your toe to the brakes and back again, and in the midst of this, your clutch foot is working independently, managing clutching, double-clutching and free-wheeling, etc., as the situation warrants.

As engine torque improved over the years, the need to heel-and-toe diminished, and except among die-hard classic sports car fans, has pretty much dissapeared.

But, those not conditioned by long-term ownership of a Bug or Ghia usually do notice that the front seats are mounted slanted inwards.

On our Chump/LeMons Super Bug, in an effort to improve the ergonomics to minimize fatigue on one hour to 90-minute driving stints, we used an aluminum seat we could mount to braces roughly level with the top of the floorpan hump and doorsills. This let us shift the seat a little closer to the center, about an inch of the seat actually on top of the hump (there is no hand brake) so the seating position is more natural.

I can well understand Don's mod of his pedal assembly.

FJC

Re: restoring a junk yard 1971 Karmann Ghia convertible

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:52 am
by weldvair
I installed a double din stereo......do not know if I like the look...Don

Re: restoring a junk yard 1971 Karmann Ghia convertible

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:54 am
by weldvair
My front air vents were not very good so I modified them.....Don :)

Re: restoring a junk yard 1971 Karmann Ghia convertible

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:07 am
by Piledriver
Dig the air vents, the radio needs some art deco trim or something, very nice but...looks... lost?

They of course make "retro" radios, and retro "look" radios that have hidden usb ports etc...
I have seen some setups with ~completely hidden (or no) head units that are controlled via Bluetooth.
There's certainly an app for that.

Re: restoring a junk yard 1971 Karmann Ghia convertible

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:40 am
by Bonemaro
I plan on creating the "face" of the factory radio that flips up too reveal a 7" touch screen.

Re: restoring a junk yard 1971 Karmann Ghia convertible

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:46 am
by weldvair
I might take the double din out & replace with a single din...I agree
with the comments. Any suggestions on how to improve the looks
with out changing stereos.....need some help!


Don

Re: restoring a junk yard 1971 Karmann Ghia convertible

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:31 am
by Bonemaro
Install a factory radio for looks and mount the Pioneer in the glove box.

Re: restoring a junk yard 1971 Karmann Ghia convertible

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:49 pm
by weldvair
I really do not want to buy another stereo(I have one of the better ones already).......I need to add some art deco
to the dash.......any ideas.

What do you think of me making a carbon fiber dash cover/the stereo would not tick out
like a sore thumb then .........Don?:

Re: restoring a junk yard 1971 Karmann Ghia convertible

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:02 pm
by Piledriver
Perhaps a 007//Transporter style flip down licence plate cover that looks like a std radio?
(I think that's what Bonemaro had in mind)
Its tough to make digital look retro, but Google for "steampunk" and it may provide some ideas.

The biggest visuals of the rest of the dash is "round" chrome bezels and buttons, corners of glovebox etc.

Sticking anything "square" in there, esp in a high contrast color (like black on cream), will not be eye pleasing.
If Pioneer made a ~white (or perhaps even red) trimmed stereo it could blend right into the dash.

Perhaps start by Photoshopping/Gimping the surround for the stereo to red in the above photo (match dash pad) or chrome and see how it looks.

Re: restoring a junk yard 1971 Karmann Ghia convertible

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:04 am
by helowrench
I think a bezel, or trim surround would likely do it (Ti or brushed SS), kind of hard to tell without the clock and dishpan installed though.

I am still stuck on the turn signal install into the bumper, that's some skills right there.

Re: restoring a junk yard 1971 Karmann Ghia convertible

Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:12 am
by weldvair
Thanks for all the help.....Don :)

Re: restoring a junk yard 1971 Karmann Ghia convertible

Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:10 am
by weldvair
The KG has been gone over a week now......its at the engine rebuilder.
The engine was to be done a week ago &installed.

I miss my car & hate it being gone when I have so much work to do
on it.

Here is a pic of it leaving last weekend

Don

Re: restoring a junk yard 1971 Karmann Ghia convertible

Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:44 am
by weldvair
Latest progress pic....Don :)

Re: restoring a junk yard 1971 Karmann Ghia convertible

Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:14 pm
by weldvair
Well.......I did not like the rats nest of wire in the trunk(front). I thought of ordering a replacement
VW wiring harness but I like the GM harness better than the VW.

I also wanted a tilt column so I bought a 1994 truck column advertised on craigs list. It contains
the start circuit, wipers, turn signals, safety neautral sw, head light sw etc.

I am att a few pictures...tell me what you think. Don

Re: restoring a junk yard 1971 Karmann Ghia convertible

Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:55 pm
by Marc
Does the GM t'signal switch support dynamic braking? The VW wiper motor incorporates that, and will have a tendency to "coast through" the park position if the switch isn't compatible. If you find that the wipers won't turn off you may have to incorporate a relay to perform the dynamic braking function.
You won't be using the neutral safety or backup light functions; personally I'd rather have the "X" terminal switch functionality provided by the stock VW switches, but if you prefer Detroit design I'm sure you'll manage to make everything work. It's kind of a P.I.T.A. getting to that GM ignition switch atop the column - check it out, you may want to add an access panel to the box you've built so you won't have to drop the column for service.

http://www.colehersee.com/home/faq/faq/wiper_switches/