Page 3 of 9
Re: 71 bug - planned EJ20t swap - new member
Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:23 pm
by Prtexx
quick Google search says this but double check to make sure.
Year Make Model Trim Engine
GAS;; Qty needed per... 1991 Chevrolet Blazer Scottsdale Sport Utility 2-Door 5.7L 350Cu. In. V8 GAS OHV Naturally Aspirated
GAS;; Qty needed per... 1991 Chevrolet Blazer Silverado Sport Utility 2-Door 5.7L 350Cu. In. V8 GAS OHV Naturally Aspirated
GAS;; Qty needed per... 1991 Chevrolet R1500 Suburban Scottsdale Sport Utility 4-Door 5.7L 350Cu. In. V8 GAS OHV Naturally Aspirated
GAS;; Qty needed per... 1991 Chevrolet R1500 Suburban Silverado Sport Utility 4-Door 5.7L 350Cu. In. V8 GAS OHV Naturally Aspirated
GAS;; Qty needed per... 1991 Chevrolet R2500 Suburban Scottsdale Sport Utility 4-Door 5.7L 350Cu. In. V8 GAS OHV Naturally Aspirated
GAS;; Qty needed per... 1991 Chevrolet R2500 Suburban Silverado Sport Utility 4-Door 5.7L 350Cu. In. V8 GAS OHV Naturally Aspirated
Re: 71 bug - planned EJ20t swap - new member
Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:25 pm
by Prtexx
This is better has gates listed, requires a little trimimng but works great.
Cross Interchange Parts
Factory Number
NAPA 8338
GATES 21620
CARQUEST 21620
RoadMAX C1620
Fresh ... 418
Re: 71 bug - planned EJ20t swap - new member
Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:08 pm
by jrobe
I think my radiator is from a Toyota mr2 spider, 2001 or so.
Its not in so double check dimensions.
Re: 71 bug - planned EJ20t swap - new member
Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:22 pm
by ryans88gt
Sounds like something in the 26" x 18" high should work maybe? I'll have to measure.
Went out and purchased an electric body saw to make opening up a new home for the radiator a little easier.
Also picked up a couple chunks of 3/16" sheet steel at the local steel shop. Will be used for various fab work.
Continuing to collect parts!
Re: 71 bug - planned EJ20t swap - new member
Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:48 am
by ttriebler
Lol not too many Chevy Blazers or Suburbans in Australia but the Gates number will do it. Cheers!
Re: 71 bug - planned EJ20t swap - new member
Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:38 pm
by surfbeetle
Read though my thread, the link is in the signature. As for the radiator, the size from a Sirocco is a good. I got mine from speedway motors.
Re: 71 bug - planned EJ20t swap - new member
Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:13 am
by ryans88gt
surfbeetle wrote:Read though my thread, the link is in the signature. As for the radiator, the size from a Sirocco is a good. I got mine from speedway motors.
I did previously read through your thread and a lot of good information in there, I like what you did/are doing with the rear package tray area. I may attempt something similar.
How close are you to having the car finished?
Re: 71 bug - planned EJ20t swap - new member
Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:42 am
by jrobe
The mr2 radiator is 25 1/2 x 12 1/2
Re: 71 bug - planned EJ20t swap - new member
Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:31 pm
by surfbeetle
I hope to get the car over an exhaust shop in February to have the coolant lines made. That's my major roadblock right now.
Re: 71 bug - planned EJ20t swap - new member
Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:17 pm
by ryans88gt
Well got the motor today. Time to start taking it apart. A little concerning that I can turn it over easily by hand with very little compression... but I didn't check to see if the plugs were in it. Lots of little things to look at. Recommendations on what to check out before the warranty expires? I was going to pull the pan and valve covers and check things out and do a leak down test.
Not sure what else can easily be checked without having it ready to run in the car.
Re: 71 bug - planned EJ20t swap - new member
Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:33 am
by panel
Are you going to run the OEM ECU? Also take lots of plumbing pictures of the oil lines, water lines and fuel,vacuum etc. Some you'll eliminate but when you start to disassemble / assemble this will help a lot. I'm ok now on my project but wish I had taken more.
Re: 71 bug - planned EJ20t swap - new member
Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:03 pm
by ryans88gt
panel wrote:Are you going to run the OEM ECU? Also take lots of plumbing pictures of the oil lines, water lines and fuel,vacuum etc. Some you'll eliminate but when you start to disassemble / assemble this will help a lot. I'm ok now on my project but wish I had taken more.
No... seemed like way too much work to get a complete unhacked harness and computer. Just going to do microsquirt and build a custom harness and relay panel. Yeah there is a lot of stuff on the motor. Probably get a chance to play with it this weekend.
Re: 71 bug - planned EJ20t swap - new member
Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:24 pm
by ryans88gt
Well, I got the subaru motor broken down to the long block. Did a leak down test and the rear drivers side cylinder has 50% leakdown through the exhaust valves. Front drivers side cylinder had about 20% leakdown but also with the majority of the leakdown coming out of the exhaust valves. Also, looks like the turbo wasn't original on the motor and has some shaft play and lots of oil in the volute outlet. And to wrap it all up, one of the valve covers was cracked. Bottom end seemed strong, other side had less than 10% leak down.
So feeling a little disheartened.

Re: 71 bug - planned EJ20t swap - new member
Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:19 am
by Buggin_74
I wouldnt feel too down, a head freshen up is likely all it needs, head gasket on that side may have gone and got it a bit hot previously.
You said its covered by a warranty?
Re: 71 bug - planned EJ20t swap - new member
Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:12 pm
by ryans88gt
Head gasket seems fine, exhaust valves don't seat. Seems like a common issue with the turbo motors when the mixture has gone a bit lean. Looks like the turbo inlet was ripped, so that would explain a lean mixture. But wasn't planning on tearing the motor apart. Soooo... yeah, working with the supplier to see how they are going to help out. Supposed to have a 30 day warranty. I sent them a video of the trashed turbo and failed leak down. Waiting to see what they say. Can't imagine how they say this passed a compression test.
http://youtu.be/7fazjkPFylg