Page 3 of 4

Re: 72 Beetle EJ22 Build

Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:42 am
by turboedbug
Looking great, love the custom fab stuff!

Re: 72 Beetle EJ22 Build

Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:51 am
by 72marinablue
The last bit of the intake puzzle coming together. Had to go with the pie cuts for........ consistency sake with the rest of the build :Ds

I made a fitting that slips over the MAF with a very nice interference fit, and welded the tubing to the inside to start the piping. Everything is tacked together but I ran out of argon over the holiday weekend so I'll have to finish next week :(. The tubing will get a silicone coupler to mate up with the throttle body. You can see the welding wire I bent at the same curvature as the decklid so I could guarantee fitment.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Happy New Year!

Re: 72 Beetle EJ22 Build

Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:41 pm
by turboedbug
72marinablue wrote:The last bit of the intake puzzle coming together. Had to go with the pie cuts for........ consistency sake with the rest of the build :Ds

I made a fitting that slips over the MAF with a very nice interference fit, and welded the tubing to the inside to start the piping. Everything is tacked together but I ran out of argon over the holiday weekend so I'll have to finish next week :(. The tubing will get a silicone coupler to mate up with the throttle body. You can see the welding wire I bent at the same curvature as the decklid so I could guarantee fitment.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Happy New Year!
Looking good!

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk


Re: 72 Beetle EJ22 Build

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:37 pm
by 72marinablue
Ive switched gears a bit and am working on getting my new front clip figured out before I weld it to the car. Working on some support while maintaining airflow and I also made a fan shroud for my Spal puller fan.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Re: 72 Beetle EJ22 Build

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:16 pm
by turboedbug
Do ya have a photo of the front clip from the front of it?

Are u just using a fan to move air accross the radiator?

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk


Re: 72 Beetle EJ22 Build

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:55 pm
by petew
Some really nice work there. :)

Re: 72 Beetle EJ22 Build

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:39 pm
by 72marinablue
turboedbug wrote: ↑Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:16 pm Do ya have a photo of the front clip from the front of it?

Are u just using a fan to move air accross the radiator?
The fan is on the backside of the radiator to create negative pressure and use the radiator more effectively, ill have it wired to the subaru ecu so it comes on automatically. I haven't modified the front clip for air inlets yet but I will be creating a custom kamei spoiler (I have 2, 1 super beetle, and 1 standard beetle spoilers) with integrated inlets to feed the radiator. This means minimal body modification which is what I am after. I don't want it to look like it has a radiator.

Re: 72 Beetle EJ22 Build

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:41 pm
by Zaney
How did you create the raised inner circle for the radiator to mount to on the shroud?

Re: 72 Beetle EJ22 Build

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:32 am
by GS guy
I'd guess a bead roller with a step die. Super nice metalwork!

Re: 72 Beetle EJ22 Build

Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:24 pm
by 72marinablue
Zaney wrote: ↑Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:41 pm How did you create the raised inner circle for the radiator to mount to on the shroud?
I used a bead roller with a step up die, I pre stretched the material with an english wheel in the area that is stepped up, thats the photo above where the aluminum looks "arched" on the bench. This helps to reduce oil canning or the aluminum moving around on you so when you roll in the bead the piece stays relatively flat.

Re: 72 Beetle EJ22 Build

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:13 am
by joelzy
Image
that is some seriously awesome work
I just got a tig welder capable of aluminum and this is definitely inspiring me to get started

Re: 72 Beetle EJ22 Build

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:00 pm
by 72marinablue
I haven't updated here for a long time but I am just going to drop all these in here-

After many years I am almost done. So many modifications too much to list. If anyone here is on instagram feel free to send me a message on there @forrest__davis

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Well so far I have about 300 miles on the Beetle. It has been pretty hot in the PNW and I was experiencing higher coolant temps then I was really comfortable with. The car would climb up to 210 when in traffic and the fan wasn't powerful enough to get it back down near 195 which is where the subaru ecu shuts the electric fan back off. I decided to nearly double my CFM of the radiator fan and revised a new fan shroud with rubber flaps that should open at highway speeds but close when the fan is running. I also redesigned my 3d printed intakes in front of the Kamei spoiler to get more direct force fed air while driving at higher speeds. This all seems to have done the trick and she stays plenty cool now even in hot weather. I have mostly been working on finishing the interior at this point, still need to do carpet, seat upholstery etc. The latest fab project is a rear seat "delete." I like the way the rear seat looks but I dont plan on ever having any passengers. I have been building this box to go in the same place, allow a bit more clearance than the actual seat to the backs of the recaro's and also function as a storage space for tools, access to battery etc.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
"

Re: 72 Beetle EJ22 Build

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:22 pm
by panel
Love your car. What have you done there with the t-stat housing ?

Re: 72 Beetle EJ22 Build

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:42 am
by 72marinablue
panel wrote: ↑Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:22 pm Love your car. What have you done there with the t-stat housing ?
Thanks! My first fabricated thermostat housing didn't go so well. I used AN lines for my cooling lines so I needed an AN bung thermostat housing. The first one came straight out the bottom and I used a tight 90 degree fitting to send the line forward. This ended up hanging way too low and I smacked it on the first test drive. Luckily I was close to home as all the coolant fell out of the car. The second design I machined a pocket and flange from aluminum and the AN bung comes out of the side so I have way more ground clearance. It now sits higher than the sump.

Image

Image

Re: 72 Beetle EJ22 Build

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:58 am
by panel
Looks like a great simple solution , well done !