Page 3 of 26

Re: 2400 engine build

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:54 am
by bushoarder
That’s a very nice spec and seems quite mild yet powerful.

Are your spark plugs relocated too?

What is the cam grind similar to? Scat c35 or similar?

I’ll read your other thread too as it sounds a good powerhouse.

Image

My bus engine (was for my bug but bus came first):
1800 industrial engine with 41x34 valves and 40mm webers.
Home made Cali conversion
I got the aa flywheel too - really nice.

It pulls ok, needs rolling road, but I want more power. Sounds like I could enlarge to 1911 easy enough and perhaps approach 90hp without a cam change.

I’ve got a pile of type 4s to make up a new motor and thinking the 2l is a good start, I’ve got a pair of heads with bigger than 42x36 valves my friend donated, web86b (or c35), some 96s and various new type 1 pumps.

Just need to do something about it!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: 2400 engine build

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:43 am
by Eddie010
bushoarder wrote: ↑Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:54 am That’s a very nice spec and seems quite mild yet powerful.

Are your spark plugs relocated too?

What is the cam grind similar to? Scat c35 or similar?
Cam is older profile 316°,lobe center 105, with lift off 8,50mm. Lot of people say that they don t use those cams because of the low lift,
that robs power... but hey at the time of the built I thought this was a good cam..
Don t know if that is similar to C35 cam.

Nope standard CU heads so sparkplug at it s original location.

If you have parts of a 2.0l engine, I would use those.

Regards Edgar

Re: 2400 engine build

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:07 am
by Eddie010
Ok looking for some valve spring options.
https://www.csp-shop.com/en/engine/valv ... 4961a.html
These look ok too.
Is the pressure at lift ok for a webcam 86b?

Regards Edgar

Re: 2400 engine build

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:37 pm
by Tony Z
I've just bought beehives for mine.... but wont be assembling for a few months
see aircooled.net

Re: 2400 engine build

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:54 am
by wreck
I used PAC 1286 beehives with longer valves , installed height of 1.75" . I had to space the rockers out quite a lot and open the pocket up a small amount
. . If Dan's kit had been available when I was sourcing parts I'd most defiantly gone that way .
beehives .jpg

Re: 2400 engine build

Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:11 pm
by Clatter
The cam will determine the springs.
I don't know those cams.
Johannes will be able to tell you if his springs will work with that cam.
An 86B is supposedly dual-spring only, but -can supposedly- be run with beehives using 1.3 rockers and light valvetrain components.
Spec out those JPM springs to the ac.net beehives to know for sure.

If you are using aluminum pushrods, (titanium retainers?)
And the ramps are as gentle as they are supposed to be with that Schleicher cam,
I'd venture my uneducated guess that you're on the right track.

Regular old Scat or Bugpack singles would fit over the Type 4 guide boss with light hand pressure.
They would live fine like that because they grow outward on compression.

The beehives fit over the boss only with machining.
I'd bet those JPM springs are a different animal altogether,
And will require machining to the boss.
But, it's just a little bit, so better than duals for keeping the guide supported and in place.

Re: 2400 engine build

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:00 am
by Eddie010
Thanks for the info guys.

So engine is out.
Ready to start building a new one.

Re: 2400 engine build

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:13 pm
by Eddie010
Because the website where i put my pictures is down the pictures in here are also down..
sorry for that

Re: 2400 engine build

Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:45 am
by Eddie010
Ok got Al the parts now.
Went with JPM single springs + Titanium retainers, on advise of Johannes.
Busy with cleaning of the case.
The case / heads are ready to be machined.
Using the heads of 2.0 engine, only 10.000 km on them.
Valves were not leaking... Never cc the heads, did this now they are off...
They are all 45cc just what I was told when I had them built for the 2.0 engine. ;D

Re: 2400 engine build

Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:53 am
by Clatter
Nice!

Thanks for taking time to post up.

FWIW,
Maybe take the time to port the case windows?
Free is free, right?

Image
Image
Image

Re: 2400 engine build

Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:42 am
by Eddie010
Oh Wil take a picture of that, but I did make those corners rounder and smooth..

Re: 2400 engine build

Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:19 pm
by Eddie010
Just removed the sharp edges

Re: 2400 engine build

Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:18 am
by Eddie010
Had some time to go to my friend, he has a ships engine repair shop.
Made the test deutz cylinder to the size I wanted.
1 step closer to building.

PS I now this is not the correct way to cut the cylinders, but this is the test cylinder.

Re: 2400 engine build

Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:44 am
by Eddie010
After some info and advice, I am going for heads 113mm and case 107mm (106mm).
So Cylinders will be 0.2mm less.
Removed a little bit to much from bottom... but this is the test Cylinder.
And haven t decided yet if I go 107 or 106mm..

Re: 2400 engine build

Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:06 am
by Eddie010
Case and heads are out to be machined.