Page 3 of 3
Re: FAQ:Water to Air Intercooler water pumps and more...
Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:52 am
by buguy
Makes sense. Hadn't really thought of it that way before.
Re: FAQ:Water to Air Intercooler water pumps and more...
Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:26 am
by bug66
And of course, the engine needs to be able to handle the bigger (more flow) turbo..
Re: FAQ:Water to Air Intercooler water pumps and more...
Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:00 am
by buguy
Of course.
Re: FAQ:Water to Air Intercooler water pumps and more...
Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:06 pm
by panel
-Bosch pump 0 392 022 002 317 GPH
-Modified Frozen Boost #8 ( Core Size: 9.25"x3.5"x3.5" )
-No reservoir tank
-3/4" lines
-Water to Air Intercooler Radiator - 26x7x2 (Type 118) from Frozen Boost
-pump on all the time
Install/mod pics: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=141357&p=1273155#p1273155
Re: FAQ:Water to Air Intercooler water pumps and more...
Posted: Thu May 09, 2019 12:31 pm
by slowsixtyduece
Mario, what size lines are you running? Are they 3/4"? That Mercedes Bosch pump seems to have some pretty large diameter hose barbs (0.86-0.90")...
Re: FAQ:Water to Air Intercooler water pumps and more...
Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:05 pm
by panel
What are your guys thoughts on having a tank lower that your rad cap (highest spot)? If you opened up the tank to fill it with water or ice wont it just pour out due to the atmospheric head pressure ?
Re: FAQ:Water to Air Intercooler water pumps and more...
Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:19 pm
by Chip Birks
My intercooler sits a foot or so higher than my tank. I've never had an issue filling my tank. My system may not be full to the brim either though. It may only have however much the tank holds by itself. I've never really been very careful or precise when filling it. Basically drain some when it's toasty, fill it back to the brim with ice, race and repeat.
Re: FAQ:Water to Air Intercooler water pumps and more...
Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:39 pm
by slowsixtyduece
Heres my intercooler setup. After a lot of searching I found that a 'Canton Racing Products Supercharger Coolant Tank (Kenne Bell Tank Replacement)' was perfectly sized as an overflow tank for the space in the upper right corner in the engine bay. The water tank holds about 1/4 gal and uses a Ford Mustang radiator overflow tank cap in case things get too hot. Intercooler is a C&R barrel cooler (4 inch x 6 inch x 11.75 inch OAL) w/2.25” inlet/outlet w/ 3/4" barbs. Everything fits quite tight but the decklid closes with no rubbing!
IMG_0747.JPG
I mounted the Bosch Cobra pump on a bracket I made that mounts to the bumper bolts. Water circulation goes like this: overflow tank > intercooler in > intercooler out > pump > cooler > up to overflow tank. This works like a charm and moves the water consistently without a hiccup. I currently only run water but am looking to add water wetter in the future.
IMG_0744.JPG
Since I live in Colorado, I added a spigot at the lowest point of the system to empty the water out in the winter (I dont run the car much if at all). This worked extremely well this year.
IMG_0745.JPG
Cooler is a Setrab I picked up off of Ebay along with fan from there as well.
IMG_0746.JPG
I have only had this system working for a few hot summer drives and one summer race and it kept the IAT's from rising as quickly as it used to. I have yet to determine if I have enough airflow over the cooler and if I have enough water in the system to sustain low IAT's when under regular driving loads. The whole system takes about 1 gallon or so.
Re: FAQ:Water to Air Intercooler water pumps and more...
Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:24 am
by madmike
Nice package!, instead of 'water wetter' check out "Engine Ice' worked way better in my son bored&stroked MX bike from 125cc to 167cc

, alway ran hot until we switch to the Engine ice, I was a dealer at one time and sold a case to my cuz he had a 5 window ford coupe he could never go in a parade with it

Now he can

Re: FAQ:Water to Air Intercooler water pumps and more...
Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:32 pm
by panel
Anyone have a good source for an inexpensive tank ? Either eBay or Amazon etc ?
Re: FAQ:Water to Air Intercooler water pumps and more...
Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:42 pm
by buguy
Can't help you there, but I called a couple places about having one made. The prices were silly! I welded up my own, but I bet if you took a welder the pieces already cut to the size you want it wouldn't cost much to have it done.
I was looking at fuel cells to make into one, but none fit my odd space. You may not have the same trouble?
Re: FAQ:Water to Air Intercooler water pumps and more...
Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:06 pm
by panel
I'd like a black plastic one with the big filler opening. Wonder where you can just buy the filler part ?
Or just get one from here:
http://www.frozenboost.com/liquid-air-a ... -1227.html
Re: FAQ:Water to Air Intercooler water pumps and more...
Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:35 pm
by 66brm
For the filler, check out marine/boating places
Re: FAQ:Water to Air Intercooler water pumps and more...
Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:08 pm
by panel