Page 3 of 3
stroker drawbacks
Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 5:05 pm
by Advokat
Our engines will be similar with the exception of heads and carbueration. I am running dual Dell 36's and bigger valves, but also with the double springs.
Your stock valved heads will allow you to keep the heater boxes-that will be nice on days like the ones I've seen recently (7.5" snow fell yesterday). Plus, with a nice port and polish and the K duds you had mentioned previously, that thing should run pretty nicely.
As to the cam, I don't know if Web makes a 110 designation-that sounds like the Engle that we see pretty often. My web is a 119 and I used the Web lifters.
Hope that helps,
Rick
stroker drawbacks
Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 1:05 pm
by James2
Man, I would NOT, I repeat NOT run 041 heads, even if they cam e free.
I suggest you research the many problems people have had with those heads.
Get off you wallet and step up to a decent head.
------------------
Disclaimer: James2 is a fictional character. Many people, places, and things in the posts are fictional/allegorical and for entertainment purposes only.
stroker drawbacks
Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 1:13 pm
by James2
And if you are going to run a web cam, go with the 218, it's THE torque monster.
For heads, run a set of stock valve 040 casting that have been ported. Or the bugpatch CNC heads.
The 041 suck. You have a larger intake, paired with the stock exhaust. Why did VW do this? To keep heat in the head to met emmisions in brazil.
Guess what? It's going to keep the heat in your motor also!! The 040 is by far the best casting for cooling. When properly ported, it will flow quite a bit. You should be able to get a good set for about 400.
stroker drawbacks
Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 5:38 pm
ditto the bugpatch cnc, If you want to save a little they have rebuilt CNC's for $450
stroker drawbacks
Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 5:57 pm
by Kubelmann
So here is where I stand.
1904 Stroker
90.5 Mahle p/c
74 DPR crank
Web cam size? straight cut?
web lifters
totally confused about heads
Kymco 1.5 " headers
Carb Zenith/Kadron
009/Electronic
full flow oil
oil filter with fan
Continue to send thoughts and your experience
I heard that the exhaust valve should equal the hearder size. I have not yet seen the correct heads for this motor.
K-mann
stroker drawbacks
Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 11:56 pm
by Bob Ingman
BUMP!!!
stroker drawbacks
Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 3:11 pm
by mschilling
Before you get too excited about the Kymco 1-1/2" heaterbox kit beware that those boxes have only a J-tube running through them and are a far cry from stock German ones as far as heat goes. It depends how much heat you want. You could also stay with stock size valves and get the heads ported to flow well with all things considered. That way you get all that "generous" original heat (or at least what you'd expect).
stroker drawbacks
Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 4:44 pm
by Kubelmann
I appreciate the insight about the Kymco heater/j tube boxes. How will the German heater boxes effect horse power v.s. j tubes? I want heat but also hp. K-mann
stroker drawbacks
Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 5:16 pm
by Advokat
Kubelman:
I didn't bother to look at all the other posts, so I don't know if someone suggested this-but you could just go with a gas heater and then build any engine you want with whatever sized valves you please.
I considered this, but just didn't want to go and cut things up being that my Thing is a '74. Also, it gives me an excuse to build a pretty much stock 1600 with heat.
Rick
stroker drawbacks
Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 5:57 pm
by Kubelmann
Being the obsessed nut case that I am.. I have a 73 Thing with original perfect gas heater. My plan -- both worlds. I live at 9,000' in the Rockies and plan to drive here Mexico and more.. The first owner was a VW line mechanic and did a 73/74 combo. I have both systems with some obvious parts missing. I am replacing and augmenting. K-mann
stroker drawbacks
Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 5:34 pm
by Advokat
If that is the case, then your working gas heater will take care of business just fine. I've never had one, but those that have seem to be VERY happy with the heat they put off.
Then, build your engine without even having to think about your heater boxes.
My .02
Rick