Page 3 of 3

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:13 am
by Piledriver
NextGen wrote: /snip
I ever remove the engine I will remove a few pounds from the flywheel.
Just don't do it on anything but a rare early 411 200mm, Vanagon 228mm flywheel, or modded 914 flywheel, as they are forged, so they can be lightened safely.

99% of T4 flywheels are cast, and really should NOT be lightened at all.

I'm not even 100% sure ALL 914 flywheels are forged.

Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:21 pm
by NextGen
Thanks, for the extra bit of needed info. See experiance counts.

( we won't talk about my ball joints ).

Actually the heavier flywheel seems to make a real nice 75mph cruiser. You can still feel it winding up when you step on it, but once you get it going, it just keeps pulling. Actually I don't know what mine was from. My engine was a 914, I guess the flywheel was from a bus. I got the engine from a Porsche Dealer and I remember I told him the 914 won't fit so he swapped it for the the one I got. That is weird, I can see him having Porsche stuff but not VW Bus or 411 or 412. ?

Well when and if it ever comes out I will try to figure out where is was from.

Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:09 pm
by Piledriver
The 228 FW weighs ~ 14 lbs. (the PP makes up for the weight difference somewhat)

Not all 228s are forged AFAIK, some of the bus ones may be cast.

Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:08 am
by Passatman
Piledriver wrote:The 228 FW weighs ~ 14 lbs. (the PP makes up for the weight difference somewhat)

Not all 228s are forged AFAIK, some of the bus ones may be cast.
Do these 228 mm that are suppose to be case have a part number. I am thinking of using a 228 with my 2.0ltr engine coupled to a 091 box. Pile the experience nextgen had with his car ( Actually the heavier flywheel seems to make a real nice 75mph cruiser. You can still feel it winding up when you step on it, but once you get it going, it just keeps pulling ) did you also experience this with the 091 couple to the 2.0ltr engine.

Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:20 pm
by Piledriver
The 091 gearing in a bug with the fairly hot 2.0 went too fast to notice any FW effects ;-)

Some of the bus FW are much heavier. The 091 was also solid mounted, and the gearing was more drag racing oriented vs usable on the freeway for long commutes.

A bug doesn't need to turn 4K at 70MPH, but 70-90 roll on was a blast.

Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:50 pm
by Passatman
Well i wont be doing much highway driving mostly around town. My friends here tell me the 228mm clutch and pressure plate is very easy on the legs. I really need that because traffic to work in the mornings is a PITA. I mostly like this setup because it's very strong. If they could only develope a 4.0 ring and pinion for the box things will wakeup for this box.

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:33 pm
by JW63
Piledriver wrote:The 228 FW weighs ~ 14 lbs. (the PP makes up for the weight difference somewhat)
Mr. Pile, I can't find a spec for the 228 FW weight on the InterNet, but when I removed mine from a 914 1700 it seemed to be way heavier, like 18+.

The 200MM beautiful Kennedy FW I'm coupling into my 2056 conversion is under 13lbs. Are you sure about that "14lbs"? Just curious. Thanks.

Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:27 pm
by Piledriver
Zebco fish scales are usually close enough, and Sandeep got the same when he weighed his.

The pressure plate is a monster... But the weight is further in.

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:58 pm
by JW63
NextGen wrote:Thanks, for the extra bit of needed info. See experiance counts.

( we won't talk about my ball joints ).

Actually the heavier flywheel seems to make a real nice 75mph cruiser.
Joe, IIRC you might have posted way-back about lightening your flywheel?

The flywheels 210, 215, 228 all seem to weigh about 18 lbs. My Kennedy 200 MM is forged and 12 lbs.

What's the weight on your original conversion flywheel?
Thanks,
Jim.