Page 3 of 3

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:32 pm
by davygrvy
Plastermaster wrote:My only concern (other than actually fitting it) is that it will be maybe less than an inch from the apron. The ghia apron curls under making a pocket sort of and the collector will tuck in there and maybe cook the paint off. The fit is tight enough, but I may need to add some sort of sleeve in there around it.......Kinda like a heater box? :idea:
Ron
Maybe wrap it in heat tape?

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:34 am
by Bill K.
davygrvy wrote:Maybe wrap it in heat tape?
I looked into wrapping and decided against it due to corrosion and rattiness. Instead I painted the underside of my apron with high temp engine paint and then covered with adhesive backed Thermotec aluminized heat barrier. The apron lip is folded up and drilled out for drainage.
Image
MASSIVE TYPE IV wrote:You 3 guys are going to be like the 3 Musketeers out there.. I may have to fly out sometime and hang out at some show in stealth mode...
Dave and Ron, I'm looking forward to meeting you and seeing what you've done with your cars. Jake -- you're welcome at my house anytime. In fact, it'd be great to throw a pre/post-rama RAT party. I have a detached studio for you guys to crash if you want.
On Guard,
Bill

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:54 am
by Class 11 streeter
Plaster, I can appreciate how much this exhau$t $y$tem has set you back, and I would hate to see your Ghia get paint burned, so it is with reluctance that I offer my bug as the first "test mule" for the A-1 T4 sidewinder.......could take a few years of testing in my car, though..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:50 pm
by Plastermaster
Class 11 streeter wrote:Plaster, I can appreciate how much this exhau$t $y$tem has set you back, and I would hate to see your Ghia get paint burned, so it is with reluctance that I offer my bug as the first "test mule" for the A-1 T4 sidewinder.......could take a few years of testing in my car, though..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
That is a most noble offer, but as I have made an earnest comitment to dedicate this project for the benefit of all of us in the T4 conversion world, this cross is mine to bear. However if you are sincere in your wish to help, my old engine, now on Ebay, if you were to buy it, would help ease the sacrifice I have made on all our behalf. :)

Ron

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:09 pm
by davygrvy
Bill K. wrote:
davygrvy wrote:Maybe wrap it in heat tape?
I looked into wrapping and decided against it due to corrosion and rattiness. Instead I painted the underside of my apron with high temp engine paint and then covered with adhesive backed Thermotec aluminized heat barrier. The apron lip is folded up and drilled out for drainage.
That looks similar to what I did (at first)
Image
Then I got frustrated and chopped a big hole
Image
I feel like an idiot though because my framehorns weren't straight when I put the engine in.

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:34 pm
by Plastermaster
Aughghgh! Nows not the time to show pictures like that. LOL

I was thinking along the same lines as you Bill, but I'm still playing with my heater box idea. I think I'm going to be out of town during B O. I usually am memorial day and labor day week ends. It makes it hard to make that show. I'd like to see your car though. I know you've put alot of work into it. When I get my engine in I'll be wanting to make a trip to see how she does with milage and temps on an extended run. So, I'll be inviting my self over some day. :)

Ron

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:58 pm
by Ephry73
David, two words: Removable Skirt (no pun)


E

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:26 pm
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
Or ebay the BAS and buy an A-1 and pick up quite a bit of power at the same time.....

Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 12:35 am
by davygrvy
MASSIVE TYPE IV wrote:Or ebay the BAS and buy an A-1 and pick up quite a bit of power at the same time.....
I'm not good at poker.. was my hand that obvious? :lol:

Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 5:42 am
by Gavin
Hey davygrvy - how do you know whether your framehorns are straight - (straight face)

Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 8:26 am
by Plastermaster
My guess on the frame horns is that the engine is probabbly cocked a little. The engine I took out sat a little twisted. That is actually what happens. the torque of the engine twists the engine the opposite direction it is turning. You can see it if you rev the engine. After my engine was out I place a leve on my horns and thay are off a bit, but it is nothing the trans brace can't fix. Just a little more loading on one side.

Ron

Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 12:14 am
by Guest
Ron, keep the pics coming-we're getting tired of reading! LOL Looks nice man, do it right and get'er done!

Rick.

Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 12:16 pm
by davygrvy
Gavin wrote:Hey davygrvy - how do you know whether your framehorns are straight - (straight face)
Good question.. I know mine are out for 2 reasons:
  1. valve covers are more hidden behind the rearward bodywork compared to other bugs I've looked at. The engine is more up especially on the right side.
  2. right side air cleaner has moved closer to the edge of the engine compartment.
#2 is my fault because I don't have a torque brace. I have the brace now and all I have to do is install it. I'll know when the height is right when the valve covers look correct, the engine side tin fits and the bottom header tubes are fully showing under the apron (when I fix mine).

Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 2:14 pm
by Plastermaster
In other words, he knows they are not straight because he bent them :twisted: LOL

Ron