Daniel Powell emailed that my custom cam should ship next week.
I have been remiss in working on the car on the weekends because I was down about the delay.
Worked some in the shop this weekend and realized just how much other stuff I should have been working on.
Lathed the ID of Comp Cams 4798 small block Ford crank socket to fit a type 1 crank and parted it off to shorten it so the set screw would catch.
It has 2 imperial keyways, 1 a little too big for the 6mm Woodruff key and one too small.
I have a 6mmX6mm HSS blank coming to grind it to a shaper style profile and hopefully I can cut the smaller one to 6mm but it will be a chore.
It has a 1" stud for the degree wheel to go on to.
I have a 17-1/2" X 1/4" steel pizza stone I got on FB for $20 just to make a degree wheel out of.
Unfortunately, my lathe mill combo will not allow me to cut the center hole unless I take the lathe chuck off and I would have to realign everything which I just did to make precision bushings.
I ordered a 63/64 carbide hole saw (we all know they cut a little big) to make the center hole and will file it to size if needed.
I will be able to mill the degree marks and mill circle slots toward the outside on both sides.
The reason for the circle slots is I was intrigued by this style of degree wheel that does not need a pointer attached to the engine.
He holds the patent on it but doesn't have it commercially available:
I will CAD and 3D print an adapter for this adjustable level to mount to:
The precision bushings I mentioned are for revision two of my cam profiler (like a cam doctor).
The first version had noise in the readings due to dial indicator shaft play when the cam turned and emf from the pwm motor controller.
I took some lightly used lifters and lathed aluminum plugs to go in the pushrod end to get a flat surface.
I need to part them off to shorten them a little but did not have time.
The precision bushings I will lathe close to size then hone so there is as little slop as possible.
The indicator shaft will set on top of the lifter so there is no sideways force on the indicator.
I now have a closed loop stepper motor in place of the DC gear motor and encoder so I can go to a position and stop there to get a reading before moving to the next.
Working on the software.
I am done with Accusumps for prelubing before starting, tired of cleaning up the back floorboard.
The first one I had lasted a long time before it started leaking.
It finally got small scratches in the case.
I honed it and put in new o-rings but it started again not too long after but had no visible scratches.
I bought a new one that started leaking after a short amount of time and it has no visible scratches.
The first one I had lasted a long time before it started leaking.
It finally got small scratches in the case.
I honed it and put in new o-rings but it started again not too long after but had no visible scratches.
I bought a new one that started leaking after a short amount of time and it has no visible scratches.
I have to either drill and tap the sump for an AN8 fitting, or maybe the type 3 dipstick block off for the feed to the prelube pump.
I am thinking the type 3 block off because it is cheap and replaceable in case I screw up.
I have a Weldon 9200A transfer pump to use.
I have a low restriction one way valve to use to prevent any flow from the main oil line back to the engine.
And a Canton in line filter to put between the engine and the pump and a larger one to use instead of the oberg screen filter.