Page 26 of 26
Re: 2450 (78mm x 100mm) engine build
Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2026 11:58 pm
by Eddie010
Bruce.m wrote: ↑Sun Apr 05, 2026 12:55 pm
Tight on the filler. I’d perhaps adapt the breather on the alternator stand into a breather/ filler instead?
Have you replaced the oil relief valve piston& spring with an oil temp sender?
Yes CSP is offering an oil temp sensor in place of the oil relief, but it is made so you still can use the spring.
https://www.csp-shop.com/en/offers/oil- ... I3JGwwJGgw
Yeah you can buy a stand with oilfiller nowdays, but bought already so many. Thought to modifiy this one.
But took a bit more material then I thought.
Regards eddie
Re: 2450 (78mm x 100mm) engine build
Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2026 2:34 am
by Eddie010
Well got a lot adjusted to make it fit.
But it is comming along slowly.
Need to find some spacers to raise the carbs a bit, for better fit.
Re: 2450 (78mm x 100mm) engine build
Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2026 10:47 pm
by Eddie010
Cam dialed in according to spec.
Re: 2450 (78mm x 100mm) engine build
Posted: Fri May 01, 2026 1:52 am
by Bruce.m
If you have the time & patience, i’d be curious what the valve lift is at 5 or 10 degree steps. So little info is recorded on actual cam profiles instead of just a couple of sample points. I’m planning to do that with a stock 1.7 cam to see what the ramps look like.
Also, are you using a reversed 356 pulley? I have one but I’m not sure if it has less offset than a reversed T1 pulley. I’m also a little concerned that if I go for a 6000-6500rpm NA engine, will the T1 fan survive with the higher ratio of a 356 pulley. I don’t have a reversed T1 pulley. I have a bunch of stock VW pulleys but they must be friction welded or similar because the hub will not pop out with a big hammer! Finding a cheap poorly welded pulley is more difficult

Re: 2450 (78mm x 100mm) engine build
Posted: Sat May 02, 2026 12:38 am
by Eddie010
Bruce.m wrote: ↑Fri May 01, 2026 1:52 am
If you have the time & patience, i’d be curious what the valve lift is at 5 or 10 degree steps. So little info is recorded on actual cam profiles instead of just a couple of sample points. I’m planning to do that with a stock 1.7 cam to see what the ramps look like.
Also, are you using a reversed 356 pulley? I have one but I’m not sure if it has less offset than a reversed T1 pulley. I’m also a little concerned that if I go for a 6000-6500rpm NA engine, will the T1 fan survive with the higher ratio of a 356 pulley. I don’t have a reversed T1 pulley. I have a bunch of stock VW pulleys but they must be friction welded or similar because the hub will not pop out with a big hammer! Finding a cheap poorly welded pulley is more difficult
I am camming it this weekend again after some adjustments, so will record those figures for you..
yes i am using a 356 pulley, but not reversed, wanted the oil temp a few degrees down it was at cruising speed just above 100 dg celsius, but wanted it below 100. This pulley helpt with that. it is now at 90dg celsius.
But those are difficult to set up, you need al the shims to have them to work.
Wrecked 2 of them, before i got it right.
Re: 2450 (78mm x 100mm) engine build
Posted: Sat May 02, 2026 3:56 am
by Bruce.m
Thanks
Looks like you used the 356 nut? Did you buy the matching shims too (not a round hole in the middle).
What I meant by “reversed” was the pulley halves are swapped round, like in your photo, as the inner pulley (with the notches), is on the outside. Gives more offset towards the rear of the car so the belt lines up with the crank pulley. The CSP pulley that comes with the upright cooling kit is supplied with the hub welded in the outer pulley half, instead of the original way round.
Cheers!
Re: 2450 (78mm x 100mm) engine build
Posted: Tue May 12, 2026 11:48 pm
by Eddie010
Bruce, it is very difficult to write down those cam figures... While trying to clock the cam..
I just forgot every time because of concentration.
But manage to get further and try fit the engine.
Looking if everything will fit.
Well Allmost.. The header on the left side touches the engine brace.
So have to adjust that.
Re: 2450 (78mm x 100mm) engine build
Posted: Thu May 14, 2026 12:35 am
by Eddie010
More test fitting.
The wasp looks like it will fit.
Which I was afraid of it did not.