
Roll call
- FireBuff
- Posts: 19
- Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:38 pm
Hey guys,
I own a 1981 Puma GTC powered by a 1973 type 4 (CD) engine that is presently bone stock. I will be removing the engine this spring to crank it up a little and will be looking forward to discussing it with you. I have also owned (now sold) a 1974 Irwin Wrangler bodied dune buggy, also powered by a porsche 914 type 4 engine so as you can see, Im sold on type 4's.....
Thanks for letting me be a part of your forum,
Roberto
I own a 1981 Puma GTC powered by a 1973 type 4 (CD) engine that is presently bone stock. I will be removing the engine this spring to crank it up a little and will be looking forward to discussing it with you. I have also owned (now sold) a 1974 Irwin Wrangler bodied dune buggy, also powered by a porsche 914 type 4 engine so as you can see, Im sold on type 4's.....
Thanks for letting me be a part of your forum,
Roberto
I'm about as confused as a hungry baby in a topless bar !!!!!
- Class 11 streeter
- Posts: 4083
- Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2001 12:01 am
-
Chillin014
- Posts: 26
- Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:09 am
Hey guys. This is probably the 10th forum I've signed up for so I'm no forum newb. But anyway, I'll keep this short. I've got a '71 Super Beetle that I'm doing a complete custom rebuild on. The goal is sort of a hot-rod/all business feel with as much horsepower as the budget allows.
So I saw the type 4 "secrets revealed" page awhile back and found it interesting but had to dismiss the idea after comparing the aftermarket between the t4 and t1. Well recently an ad popped up on craigslist for some t4's from a '76 Bus. Long story short, they are in my garage right now.
I read that the crankcases preferred are like '60 something to '74. Did I screw up by getting a '76? There appears to be some emissions stuff on the motor despite that it is converted from EFI to a carb'd set-up. The engine tin makes the motor look different from the pictures I see on here but that may just be that they have been modified for "upright" setups and what not. Let me know your thoughts on my motor choice please, and thanks.
Here are some picture of the work in progress beetle the motor will be put in.



So I saw the type 4 "secrets revealed" page awhile back and found it interesting but had to dismiss the idea after comparing the aftermarket between the t4 and t1. Well recently an ad popped up on craigslist for some t4's from a '76 Bus. Long story short, they are in my garage right now.
I read that the crankcases preferred are like '60 something to '74. Did I screw up by getting a '76? There appears to be some emissions stuff on the motor despite that it is converted from EFI to a carb'd set-up. The engine tin makes the motor look different from the pictures I see on here but that may just be that they have been modified for "upright" setups and what not. Let me know your thoughts on my motor choice please, and thanks.
Here are some picture of the work in progress beetle the motor will be put in.



- Class 11 streeter
- Posts: 4083
- Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2001 12:01 am
Welcome Chillin014

When you can, start a build thread so we can see your progress!
Sounds like we all have a lot in common!Chillin014 wrote:I've got a '71 Super Beetle that I'm doing a complete custom rebuild on. The goal is sort of a hot-rod/all business feel with as much horsepower as the budget allows.
Good deal.So I saw the type 4 "secrets revealed" page awhile back and found it interesting but had to dismiss the idea after comparing the aftermarket between the t4 and t1. Well recently an ad popped up on craigslist for some t4's from a '76 Bus. Long story short, they are in my garage right now.
Not at all, you probably have a 2.0. Check the case code on Tuna's site "type 4 secrets revealed" to see what it is.I read that the crankcases preferred are like '60 something to '74. Did I screw up by getting a '76?
Sounds like a good start. Is either motor running? You have a jump on things if a motor runs, you can put it into the bug and build another motor afterwards.There appears to be some emissions stuff on the motor despite that it is converted from EFI to a carb'd set-up. The engine tin makes the motor look different from the pictures I see on here but that may just be that they have been modified for "upright" setups and what not. Let me know your thoughts on my motor choice please, and thanks.
Nice shop! Half the battle is a decent place to work! I'm stuck using my driveway........Here are some picture of the work in progress beetle the motor will be put in.
When you can, start a build thread so we can see your progress!
So you think your project is taking forever eh? Well you've got nothing on me.....
-
Chillin014
- Posts: 26
- Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:09 am
thanks the shop is a bit crowded with other projects and what not but its definitely a blessing
Good to know the motor will be suitable. I will have to check for that code/number tomorrow. One of them is in parts, and the other supposedly runs but I really havent had much time to mess with it so hopefully in the next day or two I can at least hear it turn over if nothing more. The bug is nowhere near being done so I have plenty of time to take care of everything, but I'll start a thread anyway.
here are some pictures of the motors.



that bellhousing is cut off on there because it was originally used as an airboat motor and had a big propeller coming off of the back. Works good to hold the starter in place though.
I may be parting out the parts motor in the near future if it proves worthwhile and I can get a few bucks for it.
here are some pictures of the motors.



that bellhousing is cut off on there because it was originally used as an airboat motor and had a big propeller coming off of the back. Works good to hold the starter in place though.
I may be parting out the parts motor in the near future if it proves worthwhile and I can get a few bucks for it.
-
Brandon
- Posts: 131
- Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2002 12:01 am
Ahhh... guess I'll do an intro thingy also.. I've been lurking for quite a while, and Tuna suggested I post an intro. (Nice guy, very, very helpful!)
I've had my '59 forever and have had it stashed away for the last decade. It was a baja when I got it, with dually rear wheels made by welding a third rim between two stock wheels with tractor tires... (wonder why the trans broke??) and the aprons had been trimmed off.
Just pulled it out and am starting to work on it in my spare time. I have a specific "build plan" in mind for an early 70's street racer-vibe and I've always wanted a T4 power. I currently have a '76 2L van motor.
But.. I want to use the stock suitcase-style cooling (I want it to hang out of the rear of the car) and I want to use some Kadrons from the Sims guy and some other bit parts. It's on a '71 IRS pan and it has a fiberglass front end.
Pictured is how it was when it went into storage:

How it looked the day I went back to get it:

and a very quick Photoshop sketch of what I hope to build:

It's a '59-only Mignonette Green and I have a full set of the Performance Industries wheels.
I want a mild motor with a bit of a cam and a slight overbore... nothing too radical. I have lots of questions and look forward to getting them answered when I get to them.
I've had my '59 forever and have had it stashed away for the last decade. It was a baja when I got it, with dually rear wheels made by welding a third rim between two stock wheels with tractor tires... (wonder why the trans broke??) and the aprons had been trimmed off.
Just pulled it out and am starting to work on it in my spare time. I have a specific "build plan" in mind for an early 70's street racer-vibe and I've always wanted a T4 power. I currently have a '76 2L van motor.
But.. I want to use the stock suitcase-style cooling (I want it to hang out of the rear of the car) and I want to use some Kadrons from the Sims guy and some other bit parts. It's on a '71 IRS pan and it has a fiberglass front end.
Pictured is how it was when it went into storage:

How it looked the day I went back to get it:

and a very quick Photoshop sketch of what I hope to build:

It's a '59-only Mignonette Green and I have a full set of the Performance Industries wheels.
I want a mild motor with a bit of a cam and a slight overbore... nothing too radical. I have lots of questions and look forward to getting them answered when I get to them.
-
Chillin014
- Posts: 26
- Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:09 am
- LIFE IN THE LOW LANE
- Posts: 87
- Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:32 am
Hi all
New to this site but been around VW's nearly all my life. I currently own a 76 Bay window which is about to undergo some big mods. firstly engine will be T4 2700cc using DPR 78mm stroker and 105mm JE pistons and barrells. Haven't decided on rods but crank is ground for Type 1 journals so I am on here to scour some more info to build this bad baby into a quick bit of gear.
My bus currently runs a Type 2L with 1800 heads ported with 1700 rockers running swivel foot adjusters. Cam is hydraulic with custom grind, bottom end fully balanced, rods equal weighted and rebuilt, equal weighted 94.5mm Mahle pistons, super light flywheel, custom tuned length mandrel bent exhaust system with custom mufflers etc and running 7.4:1.
1/8 mile times last year I ran 11.35@58mph with the above engine that has done 364 000km's. Was quicker than all the subaru powered buses competing on the day which was kinda cool.
Hope to get to know some of you and draw on your knowledge and pick your brains for bits on info when I need it.
cheers Brennden
LIFE IN THE LOW LANE
Here's a pic of my bus running at willowbank raceway a few years ago

with 2.7 in the back it will be quicker than the 17 odd seconds passs I did all those years ago!!
New to this site but been around VW's nearly all my life. I currently own a 76 Bay window which is about to undergo some big mods. firstly engine will be T4 2700cc using DPR 78mm stroker and 105mm JE pistons and barrells. Haven't decided on rods but crank is ground for Type 1 journals so I am on here to scour some more info to build this bad baby into a quick bit of gear.
My bus currently runs a Type 2L with 1800 heads ported with 1700 rockers running swivel foot adjusters. Cam is hydraulic with custom grind, bottom end fully balanced, rods equal weighted and rebuilt, equal weighted 94.5mm Mahle pistons, super light flywheel, custom tuned length mandrel bent exhaust system with custom mufflers etc and running 7.4:1.
1/8 mile times last year I ran 11.35@58mph with the above engine that has done 364 000km's. Was quicker than all the subaru powered buses competing on the day which was kinda cool.
Hope to get to know some of you and draw on your knowledge and pick your brains for bits on info when I need it.
cheers Brennden
LIFE IN THE LOW LANE
Here's a pic of my bus running at willowbank raceway a few years ago

with 2.7 in the back it will be quicker than the 17 odd seconds passs I did all those years ago!!
- BugUgly
- Posts: 128
- Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:59 pm
Roll Call
Hi, all, and thanks for the many tips. Here's a late '67 12V bug I bought 15 years ago from a boss for $200. It hadn't run for several years. Put some tires on it, added a battery, re-arranged the plug wires, switched the vacuum and fuel lines to the carb, and it almost started. Pop said clean the points. I said "What are points?" Fired right up. Drove it three blocks, and blew a spark-plug out of the head. You should have heard the banging. In two hours, the engine was out, the head off, heli-coiled, the head on, the engine in, and running. I was hooked. Had some rust repaired. Then I got married, and haven't touched it except to drag it from house to house with each move. Until last fall, when I bought a 2.0L out of a '76 bus from a guy with sweet little ghia (and a Jag E-type). Currently mapping out the cut/weld on the intake runners for up-right cooling using some dog-house tin. I've got a dual-Solex set-up, but want to try the L-Jetronic. It has the 228mm flywheel, so my next decision is whether to make it fit, buy a smaller one scrap and bore it for the pilot bearing, or get Kennedy's lightened wheel. Thanks again for the tips and inspiration, -ErikF, Camas, WA




- Class 11 streeter
- Posts: 4083
- Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2001 12:01 am
- Class 11 streeter
- Posts: 4083
- Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2001 12:01 am
BugUgly, just wanted to add, all these flywheels are identical in outside diameter and tooth count and look almost identical if sitting on end next to each other with teeth facing out, it's the starter engagement depth that is different, and if you look at each pressure plate contact surface you will also see the differences. The 228 is easy to spot as it has dowels sitcking out for clutch alignment and takes a unique clutch and disk.
All type 4 200mm (very rare), 210mm (common), and 215mm (common) flywheels can use an off the shelf type 1 200mm clutch and pressure plate without issues.
It is a bit harder spotting the differences when you see a stack of flywheels on a shelf!
All type 4 200mm (very rare), 210mm (common), and 215mm (common) flywheels can use an off the shelf type 1 200mm clutch and pressure plate without issues.
It is a bit harder spotting the differences when you see a stack of flywheels on a shelf!
So you think your project is taking forever eh? Well you've got nothing on me.....
- das boot
- Posts: 20
- Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:00 am
Soon type 4 power.
I took the plunge and neck deep into the type 4 conversion.Ordered a dtm kit and flywheel from Jake. I have a set of 40 dells.The exhaust is going to be the hard part going to try and fab something up with factory manifolds for now . I have a 2.0 from a low mileage bus that I drove home.Going into my 73 bug.
It's not what they call you,it's what you answer to.