Page 4 of 138

Battery box selection

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:42 am
by CopperBaja
I looked at one at Wal-mart and at the local marine shops....they were cheap and wouldn't open or close right. The one at wal-mart would close, but then I couldn't get the lid back off!

After contemplating my battery location and looking around at battery boxes I finally ordered this one:
Image

Found it here for the best price...with shipping.
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... rchResults

I like how there are terminals on the outside for quick access and it also has an accessory port on the side with a ckt breaker rather than a fuse. Then if you take it out for charging, it has a tester built into it.

Anyone use one of these?

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:45 am
by 72bajaben
that is a pretty cool looking battery box.

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:25 am
by CopperBaja
72bajaben wrote:that is a pretty cool looking battery box.
Thanks Ben. That's what I thought when I found it.
I'll have a review of it once I receive it. :)

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:45 am
by rickosuave1987
Looks like it would be a good product, but didnt seem to get very good reviews. :?
Overall Rating 1.3 out of 5
:(

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:02 pm
by CopperBaja
rickosuave1987 wrote:Looks like it would be a good product, but didnt seem to get very good reviews. :?
Overall Rating 1.3 out of 5
:(
I saw that, but being a movie buff, I don't pay much attention to reviews. Those were all over a year ago, so I would assume they've fixed the little problems, right?

...and you don't know who's doing the review, so gives me another reason not to trust them.

If you're a Clerks / Mallrats fan, did you ever see the movie reviews they got? They were utterly horrible, but the movies are great! :D

Here's the manufacturer link: (with more pics)
http://seasense.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.exe/ ... 5600008515

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:07 am
by CopperBaja
Ok...I'm unorganized.

When I took my pedal assy off, I didn't bag and tag the parts. :oops:

What all do I need to reinstall the assy?

-brake pushrod is the only thing I can find...

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:54 pm
by CopperBaja
Here's the pedals after refab...

Image

I set them in the car to see what they would look like, but I don't know what parts I need to put them in.

Image

And I got a bit of welding done...I ran out of gas...still have 2 more holes to fill.

Image

...I still need to grind and paint both sides.

And while I wait for some information...I'm putting seals on the popouts and trying to figure out how to install them.
Image
Image
Image

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:12 am
by 72bajaben
Image

man i really need to do that to mine. My brake pedal keeps sticking. It sucks

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:24 am
by CopperBaja
72bajaben wrote:Image

man i really need to do that to mine. My brake pedal keeps sticking. It sucks
That's not too safe Ben... Not too hard to do.

Have you done anything more to your baja?

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:31 am
by 72bajaben
naaa...a little WD-40 and it starts working again. :lol:

And no i havent done anything to my Baja lately. I have been so freaking busy working and getting ready for hunting season im suprised i have time to sleep much less with my wife, :twisted:, here after the first of the year im going to try and get some work done. Dunno what yet, but im going to do something.

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:26 pm
by CopperBaja
You bring up a good question: Do you have a gun rack in your baja? :twisted:

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:35 pm
by 72bajaben
Not yet. :lol:

Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:04 pm
by CopperBaja
Been making a bit of progress....
Finished the new seals on the popouts and installed them. I need 4 more screws to hold the left side in.
Image

I installed my horns from JCWhitney. Nice and loud :twisted:
There are 2. I put them in the front corners. Here's a pic of the pass. side.
Image

Keeping in mind how I plan to mount the battery box...not sure yet.
Image

Brings me up to present. I finally got the bolts I need (Thanks Skid for the pics!!!)

So...trying to install the pedals.
Everytime I connect the clutch cable, then bolt the pedal assy in, the cable comes undone. WTF?
Is there a trick to this?

Also...do I need to do the brake plunger now or like I assume, can I install it after the pedals are secure?

Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:10 pm
by Leatherneck
On the clutch cable do you have tension both ways, ie: from pedal and from clutch ?

Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:33 pm
by CopperBaja
I tried, with my wife holding the pedal assy, but the clutch pulls toward the rear, hits the pan and the cable comes off....what holds the clutch pedal upright?

I can't imagine trying to replace this on the road.....by myself.

Do you mean to have it connected in the rear on the transmission arm, while connecting it in the front?