Page 4 of 6

Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:13 am
by turbobaja
Great looking build Sean! Nice hard-line work too. Thing looks really sharp...........and nicely Overpowered :twisted: .

Nice work facility too!

Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:11 am
by Hot Wheels
Thanks, Im anxious to get the body back on and install the modified fuel tank. I had to cut the feft 1/4 out of the stock fuel tank to make room for the thru the wall pedal assembly. Probably cost me a couple gallons but I gained a lot of usable foot room. Every thing about this build has been a modification...

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:46 pm
by Leatherneck
Well past time for a update, somebody has been sliding lately. How is this coming along? Inguiring minds want to know.

Image

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:54 pm
by Lotrat
Should I delete his avatar until we get new pictures?

Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:52 am
by Hot Wheels
You probably should! I am still stuck in wiring hell, we started making up the wiring harness for the chassis and the fuel injection and as with everything I did not like the way it was laying out so we stripped the entire CB harness down and built a new one wire by wire. the dash is almost wired and all the gauges are installed but we got busy with the boys baseball schedule and games every night and weekend all summer. I think wed night may be the final game of the all-star season this year and I will get a few nights to actually work on it again.

Honestly work is slow this year and I was hoping to get more done than I have but summer is full of better things to do! We really have to run the rest of the brake lines, finish the wiring, build the shift tube and assemble it yet. Sounds simple but i will find a way to complicate it.

Keep my feet to the fire, I really want to finish this project this fall before I get back to work on the old wood boat for my wife...

Image

Image

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:46 pm
by Hot Wheels
Image

Finally got a couple days to work on things and got the last of the wiring run, steering shaft built with crush joint out of a pontiac, shift tube built and the brake lines mostly run today. Also the first time the body has meet the chassis since painting. Hopefully I can stay on the job for a while this time!

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:11 pm
by david58
Somebody buy this guy a Beer. :D Nice job.

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:28 pm
by zancat
you're headed down the home stretch now!

Great job!

Zancat

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:18 am
by fusername
never seen that exhaust before, looks like fun, but are you gonna shield the intake from the exhaust? its pushing a buggy and not gonna run terribly hot I am sure, but still. What are your engine build specs?

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:34 am
by Hot Wheels
The exhaust is just a tri-mill with a custom pipe welded on the top to make it side exit towards the ground, make it a little harder for the DNR to measure the loudness. It has a supertrapp end that i have not finished yet but should direct the hot exhaust out the side into the airflow. I dont see any reason to think the heat will affect it any.

Motor is a 66x102 (LN) type 4 dry sumped and fuel injected. It should have enough to pull the front wheels i would think :wink:

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:18 pm
by fusername
oh my! I am sure that thing will rev to the moon and back, no? I was most concerned about just raident heat from the exhaust pipes being sucked into the cooling fan as I had heard those fans aren't the best (but deffinatly the coolest looking) for cooling to begin with. But if you are running ln cyls I am sure you have thought this through.

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:16 am
by Hot Wheels
it definatly an rpm motor, the 911 setup tends to overcool win the ln setup so the exhaust heat and the oil temp thermostat should help to keep things at the right operating temp. I also underdrive the fan to slow it up a bit and fit around the dry sump pump.

There were extensive threads on it a couple years back on the type4rum

Re: Chassis BACK from powder coater! Body now in Paint!

Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:42 pm
by Hot Wheels
Image
Image

Probably the most modified fuel tank on the forum I had to cut in a fuel filler and fill the old ones, round the outside corners to clear the hood and add a roll over valve, the big one, cut away the bottom of the tank to make room for the pedals to sit thru the firewall.

I was able to fit all the parts today one last time now i can pull the body hopefully for the last time tomorrow and move some wires and lines that are to tight and start again with the final assembly. Seems no matter how hard i try I always have to move something again to get just what i want. Trying to decide if I like the tach out on the hood, would be good for watching the christmas tree and it does not look terrible there but i think i will put the cage in and try a roof mount before I finalize it.
Image
Image

I'm enjoying a slow week at the shop and making some progress again.

Re: Chassis BACK from powder coater! Body now in Paint!

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:24 pm
by Hot Wheels
Image

Now with Cage installed...

Re: Chassis BACK from powder coater! Body now in Paint!

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:46 am
by Hot Wheels
The wiring is pretty much done, oil in the motor now and I am trying to fire it this weekend. Im taking a break now, after re working the wiring harness to clean it up a bit I think I have a wire out of place somewhere. Timing or fuel seems to be out of sync somewhere. Between the msd and the computer there are a lot of connections to retrace and troubleshoot. Need to set down with the wiring diagram and dig into it one connection at a time. Fuel injection is a wonderful thing when its all hooked up right...