ITS ALIVE!!!!

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
User avatar
surfbeetle
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:20 pm

Post by surfbeetle »

I found a mojave heater on ebay sold through the summit racing site, http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... ew=1&N=700+
Does anyone know if the heater core is a constant flow through like what the subaru heater cores are?
pploco
Posts: 244
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:50 pm

Post by pploco »

Wow good question. I sure hope it is, I've been using it for a few months :shock:


whew... found this:
http://www.oramagazine.com/pastissues/0 ... -jeep.html

looks like yes.

To answer your question, I have the flex-a-lite majove heater.. I installed it behind the drivers seet down on the floor by where the stock voltage regulator would be. I also bought the plenum attachment and ducted it right into the stock channels with VW heater tubing. Its pretty crude but it works great. I kicked around several DIY options, but when I really looked at it, this was something I could easily pull out in the summer and gave me options for placement.
pploco
Posts: 244
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:50 pm

Post by pploco »

So next step:

With the semester winding down for school, I'm going to have a couple months to play with my bug.

I picked up a water/air intercooler. I've debated about fabbing up an intercooler out the back or under the transmission, but I love the sleeper status.

I was at a light just yesterday and these punk kids pull up beside me and start making fun of my "wheels". You should have seen the pizza-pie-sized eyeballs from these kids as I lit it up and laid a set of skids halfway down the block. At the next light all I heard were hoots and hollers about the "turbo in that thing".. It was priceless. I digress....

So I'm going to pull the motor, do the long overdue transmission bracing I've been putting off, install my stage 2 clutch, my 800cc injectors, fab up a small radiator for the intercooler, and install my water/air. Hopefully I will be able to get in the 18-20lbs of boost.

I'm debating on the radiator for the intercooler. I'm thinking I'll put it up front under the radiator. I'm also thinking of taking an oil cooler and fabbing it up in a water-tight enclosure just over the transmission that I can open and dump ice in for runs down the track. Any ideas?
User avatar
Steve C
Posts: 1143
Joined: Sun May 14, 2000 12:01 am

Post by Steve C »

Hi

My advice is to run a conventional water2air intercooler at the front and make pot inside the car that you can fill with ice when needed.

I saw this idea somewhere and it appealed to me.

You could use a portable ice box, language barrier thing here, the sort of thing you take to picnic with your drinks in it, we call them Eskys down here, anyway run steel, cooper or aluminum line hard lines through the ice box and pump the water through the lines after its had most of the heat removed by the front mounted radiator.

The pump I used on my setup was pain as it wouldn't self bleed, I fixed this by putting a garden fitting in the circuit before the pump and fed it garden hose pressure until it was bled.

Steve
pploco
Posts: 244
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:50 pm

Post by pploco »

What do most run in a water/air for coolant. Water?, antifreeze?

Also, anyone out there know how much boost a jdm EJ20H can take before things get ugly? I know a lot depends on the tune, but assuming the tune is good.... 20...20+
User avatar
petew
Posts: 3928
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:05 pm

Post by petew »

water is a lot better than antifreeze in terms of conducting heat. if you can run it without antifreeze, it will be more efficient. actually, i can't imagine why you'd need the antifreeze unless it gets real cold where you live, it's not like the temps going to get up to boiling so you don't need it for that.
User avatar
Steve C
Posts: 1143
Joined: Sun May 14, 2000 12:01 am

Post by Steve C »

Hi

I didn't run any coolant or additive in my old Wasserbug inter cooler, but a friend who works at Nulon, a local oil & coolant company suggested using Nulon Ultra Cool as it doesn't contain glycol.

http://www.nulon.com.au/products.php?pr ... Ultra_Cool

Steve
Post Reply