Lotrat's Budget Baja Build

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
User avatar
Lotrat
Posts: 4975
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:43 pm

Post by Lotrat »

bajaherbie wrote:i'll give you 23 bucks for it and you pay the shipping :wink:
Give me a few more days at being mad and I may just take it... Maybe I should start taking bids to help me along.
User avatar
CopperBaja
Posts: 5329
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:04 pm

Post by CopperBaja »

umm....trade you for a transmission. 8)
96 Pathfinder 4x4 - Family Offroader - 6" "Lift" (2" coil lift + 4" Sub-Frame Drop)
User avatar
Lotrat
Posts: 4975
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:43 pm

Post by Lotrat »

CopperBaja wrote:umm....trade you for a transmission. 8)
Well played Mr. CopperBaja, well played.
User avatar
Hedrock
Moderator
Posts: 3251
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:49 pm

Post by Hedrock »

Is there any way to loosen the gen strap and the two shroud bolts on the side and bump the whole shroud assy. toward the back of the car?


If not I'll give you 23.81 and I'll cover shipping :wink:
Collecting parts again... No I'm not going to say why!
User avatar
Lotrat
Posts: 4975
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:43 pm

Post by Lotrat »

Yeup, tried that. Got nothing. The fan shroud sits in the cylinder tins, there is no play there. All I can think of at this point is that the shroud bowed in. I'm gonna tie a rope from the generator nut to my jeep and give it a yank to see what happens.
User avatar
Lotrat
Posts: 4975
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:43 pm

Post by Lotrat »

Hedrock wrote:...If not I'll give you 23.81 and I'll cover shipping :wink:
How many do you need?

Image
User avatar
Hedrock
Moderator
Posts: 3251
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:49 pm

Post by Hedrock »

Lotrat wrote:
Hedrock wrote:...If not I'll give you 23.81 and I'll cover shipping :wink:
How many do you need?

Image
One is for my 'vert and one is still to give away. The other would be the first part for my next project :lol: .
Collecting parts again... No I'm not going to say why!
User avatar
Lotrat
Posts: 4975
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:43 pm

Post by Lotrat »

I guess I'm once again a member of the "Baja's not running " club. After breaking my baja on my birthday out at Ocotillo Wells the day after Thanksgiving, the car sat in my garage until all the Christmas stuff got put up. I decided to work on it a bit tonight and discovered that my steering rod is bent because my beam is bent... I dropped the wrenches and called it a night. Sigh... I didn't think I ran it that hard. :?
User avatar
rickosuave1987
Posts: 4640
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:15 pm

Post by rickosuave1987 »

Sounds like the perfect oportunity to go Link Pin to me....


:wink:
Baja
HookIt

GK Electric & Suave Racing - Looking for sponsors!!
SuaveRacing FaceBook
Thank you to SuaveRacing Sponsors for your support!
User avatar
Lotrat
Posts: 4975
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:43 pm

Post by Lotrat »

rickosuave1987 wrote:Sounds like the perfect oportunity to go Link Pin to me....
:wink:
Everything on the front end is new... except the beam. Gotta think about it for a while. No spare funds for a while, so what ever I do it's gotta be on the cheap side. Then again, it's always on the cheap side.
User avatar
Lotrat
Posts: 4975
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:43 pm

Post by Lotrat »

So today was the day to take the front end apart.

Steering was tight because the thrust washer was up against the steering rod orifice (yes, I made that name up). I was hoping I could just slide the steering rod down and that would be it.

Image

I couldn't really tell if the beam was bent all that bad. It's hard to tell laying on your back.

Image

I thought long and hard about leaving it in and trying to adjust the steering and tow to compensate. I decided to pull it out. When I took the arm out on the bent side, the torsion leaves sprung forward and hit the front of the tube. They should be dead center. It didn't take long to get it out. Everything was only 8 months old. Noticed one of the 8 month old ball joints was easy to move around while the other 3 are still tight. I'll probably replace it since it's out.

Looks like it bent just past the frame head:

Image

Crisis68 has a freebie up in Yucaipa, but that's a 200 mile haul. I found out my buddy has a beam in his back yard, but he likes to rip me off... There was a Thing beam for sale, but 3 bills is out of the question right now. I was told this week that my company is forcing me to take vacation Christmas week til after New Years, so I would be nice to get a trip to the desert in. Tick tock tick tock...
User avatar
birddog1148
Posts: 1444
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:42 am

Post by birddog1148 »

I got a beam that looks like that due to a deer, not the one in the pic, I have wondered if it could be straightened.
I may look dumb, but that's just a disguise, I'm a master-mind in the field of espionage!
User avatar
Lotrat
Posts: 4975
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:43 pm

Post by Lotrat »

A buddy of mine tried to straighten a beam once. He left it on and tied a strap to his truck. He ripped the beam off the car and stripped out all four frame head bolt holes. The beam was still bent afterwords.

I gotta call the beam store and see what the going rate is.

Image
User avatar
bajaherbie
Posts: 9967
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:07 pm

Post by bajaherbie »

is that isle 3 of "Beam-R-Us"?
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.
User avatar
birddog1148
Posts: 1444
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:42 am

Post by birddog1148 »

Since I quit drinkin I quit doin stupid stuff like doing it in the car, I was thinking you could use a press and some blocks.
I may look dumb, but that's just a disguise, I'm a master-mind in the field of espionage!
Post Reply