Page 4 of 9

My Chassis!

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:55 am
by Lew
It's Rolling! Rolling! Rolling!




BEFORE!


Image :(


AFTER!


Image :D


Image :D


Image :D


Image :D


Image :D

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:49 pm
by david58
I only see one or two problems. :lol: The car is in the wrong garage and the paper work isn't in my name. :wink: Looking great Lew :D

Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:27 am
by 70ghiavert
Nice job!

Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:49 am
by shakajava
Very nice. I hope you plan on keeping this one for a long time! I know I plan on keeping my two Beetles for a long time. So, I don't mind putting hundreds of hours into them. I think its well worth it! Looks like you think so too. I've been following and enjoy reading your build for a while now. Thanks for keeping us up on your progress.

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:59 am
by jaywiz1977
This thing looks great!good work.Now,I'll trade ya a 68 pan that looks like yours when you started(since you do such good work and obviously love what you do)and take that 72 pan off your hands. :wink:J/k i hope i end up with your great results.

My New Porche Wheels!

Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:12 pm
by Lew
Just got them installed.

Image

Image


:) :) :)


The only problem is this! The lower swing arm is almost touching the wheel. The swing arm will move up and straighten up the Ball Joints when weight in on the front beam. I should have a little more clearance.....I hate to install wheel spacers that will move the wheel out a little more for clearance on both the lower swing arms and brake calipers. Balancing lead weights were stuck on the wheel right where the lower arm almost touches the wheel. When rotating the wheels, the lower part of the swing arm knocked off the weights. That problem can be corrected by just relocating new weights when re-balancing the tires.



Image

Pile, this earlier picture I posted on a test fit. You said my clearance was OK on the calipers. Pretty close! :roll: Spacers maybe!


Image

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:29 pm
by david58
Any updates on your build Lew?

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:25 pm
by Lew
Waiting on a few engine parts, etc. Had my flywheel resurfaced
the other day. Just a few k off the face and the same amount
off the p p mounting surface. Cost $40 bucks.
Looks like new. :)

Image

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:30 am
by Lew
Well, I started on restoring the Porche wheels while waiting on parts. The inside of the wheels were very nasty!


BEFORE!

Image

AFTER! :D

Image


I have been using this stuff from Wal Mart for some time.....It worked great full strength with a heavy duty scrub pad. Great on greasy shop floors, laundry (my shop rags), etc.
It's the best stuff I have found to do the job on de-greasing parts, etc.
Careful using full strength, it will remove paint.


Image


I found a site that had Porche Wheel paint info. I went with Bill Cooper's suggestion. I found the paint at O'Reilly's Auto Parts for 4.99. Another recommendation was by Max Handley. He recommended NAPA's DE 1615 which is Dupli Color's engine enamel, the same as what I used on my Transaxle. It's at O'Reilly's also.

http://www.356registry.com/techinfo/rep ... paint.html


Image

Image


Hopefully I can get some paint on the wheels this week. Pic's later! :)

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:40 am
by Lew
Sprayed with two good coats of paint.

Image

The hardest part is masking off the polished aluminum areas. But worth it, my wheels are like new now. :D

Image

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:17 pm
by david58
Nice job. How long did it take to do each wheel?

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:50 pm
by Lew
45 min to scrub clean the inside, an hour maybe to mask off the polished aluminum, 10 min to paint. :lol:

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:40 pm
by david58
Lew wrote:45 min to scrub clean the inside, an hour maybe to mask off the polished aluminum, 10 min to paint. :lol:
That was time well spent.

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:10 pm
by Turbinepowered
There wouldn't be any huge differences between this '72 and a '73 Super in the rear end, would there?

I realize that the Super's front end is going to be wildly different, but the rear end should have that same suspension and trans mounting type, right?

This is a fantastic progress thread. You do good work, sir! :D

Re: My 72 Bug

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:49 pm
by Lew
Engine Coming Together nicely! Cooling Tins next! :D


Image Image Image