My chenowth 4lwd upgrades *Now Honda swap*

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
User avatar
TimS
Posts: 5723
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:11 pm

Re: My chenowth 4lwd upgrades

Post by TimS »

CentralWAbaja wrote:Let me know if you need me to pull my arms and get some good numbers for you. I am leaving for school in the AM but will be back in the shop next weekend. Wont be a big deal as everything is just mocked up. Just shoot me a text and I will make it happen.
I think anything but completely parellel in all planes would start to bind as you articulate the suspension. Though what I'm curious about, now, is the offset of the spindle holes. Is there a standard for that? I know my stock VW spindles and my combo spindles both have some offset to them, but never tried to measure. For example, if you made both upper and lower arms with the same jig, would you wind up with a whole slew of shims to keep the spindle from binding on the pink pins? Or during manufacture, would you have to add spacers so the upper arms had a little less "track" than the lower arms. Is there a purpose for this offset? Or, for that matter, does it even exist or is it my imagination?


Awesome work!! It almost looks like you know what your doing, but I'm glad to see that you can make the same mistakes that some of us "laypeople" do.
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
fordfreak
Posts: 227
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:09 am

Re: My chenowth 4lwd upgrades

Post by fordfreak »

Almost? lol

The upper and lower arm are the same length. The lower arm is 3/16" wider than the top. I made a spacer that goes in my fixture to space out the link pin clamp during assembly.
User avatar
TimS
Posts: 5723
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:11 pm

Re: My chenowth 4lwd upgrades

Post by TimS »

fordfreak wrote:Almost? lol
Glad you caught the sarcasm. Keep the metal porn coming. :wink:
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
User avatar
CentralWAbaja
Posts: 4291
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:05 pm

Re: My chenowth 4lwd upgrades

Post by CentralWAbaja »

fordfreak wrote:Almost? lol

The upper and lower arm are the same length. The lower arm is 3/16" wider than the top. I made a spacer that goes in my fixture to space out the link pin clamp during assembly.
I take it you were able to get everything you needed?

This was the part I could not get my head wrapped around back when I bought my arms as people were trying to talk me into making my own.

Looking good there keep it up
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
fordfreak
Posts: 227
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:09 am

Re: My chenowth 4lwd upgrades

Post by fordfreak »

Yea I pretty much got everything worked out. I'm gonna stop worrying about being "industry standard" and just build the dam arms. lol
I text one one last question though Darren
User avatar
TimS
Posts: 5723
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:11 pm

Re: My chenowth 4lwd upgrades

Post by TimS »

fordfreak wrote:I text one one last question though Darren
This is like listening to one side of a phone conversation... :|
Don’t ever yield your gift of dream; Your knack for gumption, too. For “It’s the crazy ones that have all the fun," if dreamers yearn to do.
User avatar
Leatherneck
Moderator
Posts: 17104
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:47 pm

Re: My chenowth 4lwd upgrades

Post by Leatherneck »

fordfreak wrote:Yea I pretty much got everything worked out. I'm gonna stop worrying about being "industry standard" and just build the dam arms. lol
I text one one last question though Darren
Why be different?
User avatar
CentralWAbaja
Posts: 4291
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:05 pm

Re: My chenowth 4lwd upgrades

Post by CentralWAbaja »

ts39136 wrote:
fordfreak wrote:I text one one last question though Darren
This is like listening to one side of a phone conversation... :|
He asked for an arm to copy...I offered carefully measured dimensions off my arms as an option...he didn't take me up on it at first then asked for one more dimension. Pretty simple really :lol:

Actually, I have been trying to help fordfreak for the last few weeks with dimensions from my arms....You see I not only cut my own stuff up after I build it....but I can even make a guy 1000 miles away cut his stuff up too... a lot of help I am :roll: :lol:
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
fordfreak
Posts: 227
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:09 am

Re: My chenowth 4lwd upgrades

Post by fordfreak »

CentralWAbaja wrote:
ts39136 wrote:
fordfreak wrote:I text one one last question though Darren
This is like listening to one side of a phone conversation... :|


Actually, I have been trying to help fordfreak for the last few weeks with dimensions from my arms....You see I not only cut my own stuff up after I build it....but I can even make a guy 1000 miles away cut his stuff up too... a lot of help I am :roll: :lol:

see this is all your fault!
fordfreak
Posts: 227
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:09 am

Re: My chenowth 4lwd upgrades

Post by fordfreak »

Leatherneck wrote:
fordfreak wrote:Yea I pretty much got everything worked out. I'm gonna stop worrying about being "industry standard" and just build the dam arms. lol
I text one one last question though Darren
Why be different?
There wont be too much difference than other manufactures. Maybe 1/16" - 3/32".
Most important is having all four arms the same... Which they will be for sure.
fordfreak
Posts: 227
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:09 am

Re: My chenowth 4lwd upgrades

Post by fordfreak »

Ok I got all the clamps cut off and the new ones welded. Arms are done! :D
Now on to the shock towers. I will be starting on those this weekend.

Image


Image


Image


Image


Image


All done


Image


Parallel!
Image


Image


Image
User avatar
Devastator
Posts: 3493
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:51 am

Re: My chenowth 4lwd upgrades

Post by Devastator »

Is that a plastic tube inserted in your arms in picture 4?
Devastator's Build Thread

Sandrail

2.4 liter, supercharged Chevy Ecotec

"If everything seems under control, you're just not
going fast enough."
Mario Andretti
User avatar
Getrdone
Posts: 2978
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:38 pm

Re: My chenowth 4lwd upgrades

Post by Getrdone »

:wink: Looks like it was easy! Your on your way now. Looks awesome!
fordfreak
Posts: 227
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:09 am

Re: My chenowth 4lwd upgrades

Post by fordfreak »

Devastator wrote:Is that a plastic tube inserted in your arms in picture 4?
Yea, I purge welded the arms. I consistently fill the inside with argon while welding them. This gives a completely penetrated weld and keeps the backside of the root pass clean like the top of the weld.
fordfreak
Posts: 227
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:09 am

Re: My chenowth 4lwd upgrades

Post by fordfreak »

Leatherneck wrote:Must be nice having a machine shop and the knowledge to run it. How wide are you going to cut the space in those?
Yes it is! Definitely makes the hobby more fun!
The first set I stood them up on end and slotted them with the band saw. It seriously took 30 min each clamp. The 2nd set I just sliced through it with a cut off wheel. It's a little more gap, but no biggie. About .045"
Post Reply