Page 4 of 12

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:31 pm
by TedzBug
Just posting kudos on this car....... been a long time lurker on a lot of forums and this car is great...

I just wish i had the Time, Space, & Money to work on my cars like this.... Maybe someday ;)

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:18 pm
by racelook
Thanks for the nice words :D

I have not much time (that's the biggest reason that it tooks till now almost 4 years!!!), have lucky some space, but have verry little money (just an student :? ).. but because I try to make almost everything by myself, I spend some bucks out.

Wiebrand

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:58 am
by racelook
So, finally last thursday I had some time to work on my car. Had made two plates for "boxing" my control arms. Will be drilled and welded in soon (i hope :rolleyes: ).
Image

Image

Image

Wiebrand

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:59 am
by racelook
Yesterday I finish welded the arms of by an friend (wo has a more powerful welder). And it looks them nice. The future will tell it they are too heavy.. if so I let them machined to get the sideplates a little thinner.

Also yesterday wanted to weld some plates in the "napoleonhoed because it had some little rotten place. But when I had it cut out.. it was totally rotten. SO there have to be welded an new napoleonhoed and an new underplate for that thing on my "I thought paint ready" chassis. But hell yeah.. it just keeps me going :D

Nothing more was done because of helping my brother with his engine-change for his Opel Astra (Vauxhall) from 1.6 to 2.0 16V. Yesterday we welded an half of the exhaustsystem so it could fit.

Here ar some pictures.

Thursday I had drilled some small holes in the midmount. It's now finished.
Image
Image

And the finished control arms.
Image
Image
http://www.keversite.nl/fotoalbum/fotos/21732.jpg

Enjoy Wiebrand

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:18 pm
by coxy-ben
hi wiebrand !

I don't understand why you have welded the stock 1303 arms ??

why you don't use the forged 1302 arms ??

:?:


Benoit :D

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:11 pm
by racelook
coxy-ben wrote: why you don't use the forged 1302 arms ??

:?:


Benoit :D
Than I think I have never seen them :roll:

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:13 pm
by Ephry73
The arms should be strong enough. The mounting points at this point would be the weaker link. I love the work done on this car. amazing!

Need to get the 1302 ready for all of this. Though not as extensive.

Keep an eye on the bulkhead and the control arm mounting points.



E

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:17 pm
by racelook
Ephry73 wrote: The mounting points at this point would be the weaker link. I love the work done on this car. amazing!
Image

For more pics see page 2 on top.

Thanx for the nice words. :D

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:27 pm
by Ephry73
That looks good! Are you going to use 944 struts and spindles?


E

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:30 pm
by racelook
No I'm going to use original spindles and Golf 1 (Rabbit) struts.

(nothing is ready.. but if it don't fit I make it fit :wink: )

Wiebrand

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:36 pm
by Ephry73
That sounds to me like good ol' american engineering :D


E

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:47 am
by racelook
HEHEHE.. Finally an little update!!

Had found some sparetime on second christmasday (before the family-stuff begun).

At 10am got the drill and angle grinder together to start working, with the following result:

First begun to make al the welds of the napoleonhead and the chassishead "clear". Than noteded soem measurements.
Image

After that drilled some spotwelds and cut the napoleonhead of.
Image

Then cut away the other pieces and that givese this result.
Image

After some grinding it looked like this.
Image
The underplate of the chassishead is temperwarely on this place, as "mold" for the napoleonhead. After the napoleonhead is welded the hole underplate will be changed.

The "tubes" on the outsides of the head are extra welded, the inside is maked clear and painted with sincspray.
Image

And an testfit. (it's not totally ready but this is how it would look like)
Image
http://www.keversite.nl/fotoalbum/fotos/22043.jpg

Also the underplate of the chassishead is maked clear, the nuts are extra welded and all is sprayed with sinc.
Image

This all done in 5 hours and 24 minutes Smile

And quick the differents of the excisting napoelonheads.
Image
Top: The cut away one
Middle: Napoleonhead for the "older" type of bugs
Bottom: Napoleonhead for 1303

Greetings Wiebrand
p.s. sorry for the bad english

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:56 pm
by Passatman
Racelook is the napolenhead for the older type bugs 1200, 1300 the same size as the 1303.

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:36 pm
by racelook
Passatman wrote:Racelook is the napolenhead for the older type bugs 1200, 1300 the same size as the 1303.
No, the napoleonhead for the 1200/1300 is thinner, and the ends of the head are different than the napoleonhead for the 1303.
Also the holes for the MC are on an different place (1200/1300 = ready to fit an Porsche MC).

Wiebrand

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:32 pm
by racelook
SOOOOOOOOOO everybody ready for another update??!!!

Friday morning had some time to remove some pieces of the old napoleonhat so the new one could fit nicelly. Some bending, some hitting with the hammer and it fits.

This afternoon at an hour or 2 (p.m) starting working again on the bug (it was an hard day yesterday evening... Beer... LOL :wink: ). At first drilled holes in the edge of the napoleonhat so I could weld it on the chassis. After some measuring welded in the hat.
Image

Image

After that started on the underplate of the chassishead. The spotwelds hitted with the centerpons and drilled through.
Image
http://www.keversite.nl/fotoalbum/fotos/22366.jpg

At an hour or half past five it was like this.
Image
With this as the rusty cut-out pieces.
Image

Also tonight from 20.45 till 22.45 worked on the car and this is how it looks till now.
Image

pfff what is my car an rotten piece of poop.. I just can't believe it every time... from the outside you see nothing but from the inside it's became 3mm thicker :twisted: .

Wiebrand