Page 31 of 40
Re: Roll call
Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:19 pm
by Busman
Hi to all, I have a ex-disaster response vehicle like John above and we dont live that far a part.
I want to mod my engine and you guys seam to have sound advice. I hope to give and take info as my journey begins from stock to modified. The T4 engine is an unknown a bit here in the UK. So I hope you guys can guide me.

Re: Roll call
Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:30 pm
by Sneaks
DannyK wrote:Hey, Dan here. I'm usually in Thing 181 or O.R. I just bought a rusty but complete '79 Baywindow Bus with a supposedly good 2 liter type IV engine and trans. I don't know yet if I'll rebuild/restore, put the motor in another Baywindow or convert it to upright w/ carbs and cam for my Thing or a dunebuggy project. It was just too cheap to pass up. For now, the body can be a storage shed for some of the stuff in my garage that's in the way.

Don't fib, you're hooked...
I just added a 73 Bay with a 76 T4 in it. 009 and a Weber Progressive. This should be interesting.
Re: Roll call
Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:29 pm
by supaninja
I'm Nick, been messing with ACVW's for 20yrs now. I'm in the middle of a type 4 conversion into my type 3. Preety much just a stock 2.0L bus motor with megasquirt and the stock FI. I'm trying not to go too crazy with this setup, mainly since a local type 1 engine builder thinks I'm a retard for doing this(I even linked him to tuna's site). I plan on rubbing it in his face when I get it running, lol.
Re: Roll call
Posted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:12 pm
by HPjunkie
Well Hi you all. Well here I am, just bought a bus sight unseen, 1972 campmobile, Arizona bus that ended up in Minnesota. I guess I need a new motor. So here I am and ready to share anything I can. The bus is great on the sheet metal but needs everything else.
Re: Roll call
Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:33 pm
by dano
Hey I'm Dano total NEWBIE to VW's but love my 76 bus and I am gonna need alot of advice and help learned alot already thanx to everyone
Re: Roll call
Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:30 am
by CobraJet
Howdy, I'm Greg from Nor Cal and I got back into VW's two months ago (after 30+ yrs) with the purchase of a VW based kit car. Man is this thing a dog to drive, but looks way cool.
Wow, it looks like a lot has changed since way back then. Many more options!!!!!
My project car, a Laser 917 is currently running a worn out bone stock '69 SP1500. I recently found a type 4 '76 2.0L engine to use as a core. I'm here to learn.......
Re: Roll call
Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:41 am
by dstar5000
Welcome to the Forums!
The Type4 Rums IS the place to learn all about the T4 engine
and it's use in the Beetle based cars!
ENJOY!
Don
Re: Roll call
Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:54 pm
by dill58
hi i am richard. i am new to the vw world and trying to learn what i can as i am building a single cab and want type 4 power
Re: Roll call
Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:41 am
by t4vwbugster
Been posting, never introduced myself
I'm from South Africa and this forum motivated me to attempt a type 4 conversion for my car. I've owned the vw, first as a beetle and now as a beach buggy, since 1990. We've come a looong way together and I love that car - think I should ask to be burried in it one day

.
As things normally go, the type 4 std 2.0 liter that is in the buggy is now too slow for me and I want to go turbo with a new build. Been busy with this build for 3 years now

Problem is indicision - can't seem to make my mind up about anything. Plus I might add that this sort of thing is not even close to what I do for a living.
I read this forum REGULARLY and you guys inspire and motivate me all the time, thanks for that.
Best wishes from lion country.
Marius
Re: Roll call
Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:03 pm
by 2jmotorsports
Hello from Long Beach, CA! Still a fairly new aircooled enthusiast but I would like to take on my first T-4 build very shortly. I have (2) 2.0L bus motors and plan on building something with decent power to drop in a beetle, ghia, or 912 (we will see what is available once the motor is built). The idea is to have a lightweight aircooled street/autocross car to play with. Looks like there are quite a few brains here so I shall lurk about learning as much as I can before tackling my build.
Cheers,
Jose
Re: Roll call
Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:33 pm
by roachdogg28
Hello every1. My name is Quinn, originally from the meth capital of the world, lake county CA. I am 20 years old and currently i inhabit sacramento, and attend ARC college for mechanical engineering, but passion lies in autos. I was introduced to ACVWs about 2 years ago by a buddy in santa rosa CA. Thank god, hondas suck....turbo 1999 civic... I got my first bug then 800$, a 1963 sedan with the 40hp motor, blew it up in a month, then rebuilt and dropped in a stock 1600dp, tired of 50hp, ive moved on to the type 4. My build thread is fresh in this forum. Im looking forward to learning as much as i can from you crazy guys that find no limits in VWs and other cars.
Quinn
Re: Roll call
Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:56 pm
by Racer007
Hi,
I'm Greg in So-Cal,grew up working on VW engines in dads shop up in Canada in 1974-5 then down here,got out for 20 yrs and now have a Ghia project with youngest son and a 356 Flared fender replica I think I want to put a 2 liter I built for a 914 in.
Re: Roll call
Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:52 am
by WestsideVW
Hello everyone.
My name is Gary Keeping and I am currently building a 2.0L T-4 engine (Joe Cali style conversion) for my 1971 Super. I'm here for the support and ideas, and since very few stay 100% true to Joe's ideas I am open to any improvements anyone has made.
Oh, and I am part of the VW scene hailing from Ontario, Canada.
Re: Roll call
Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:28 pm
by swbusby
I picked up a 74 Transporter last fall (10/2010). Before that I had done all kinds of wrenching on my 87 BMW Airhead motorcycle. I thought I'd try somthing similar, air-cooled, boxer, dual carb, german.
So far, I've built: new rear brakes, bearings, cv-jounts, koni shocks, and lots of under-dash electrical fiddling. At the moment, I've got some shift-linkage work to do, as I cannot shift into 1st or 3rd.
I got a set of Dellorto DRLA 40s that I will be installing soon, plus replacing my 30 year old DVDA with a new 034 SVDA dizzy, and replace my old black coil with a new Bosch blue coil.
My goal is simple. I want to be able to comfortably go 65mph on the highway, and also get 20mpg or better.
Scott B
Re: Roll call
Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:03 pm
by typeIV_68Beetle
Hi, my name is camron I am 20 years old and am from North Carolina. I am new to the type IV scene and I currently have a 1968 VW beetle where my type I motor blew up on me last summer

so then I was in search of a new motor and came across a guy that had a 914 1.8L motor laying around so I purchased it because I heard you could put them in a beetle. which brings me to this forum for answers on the engine build, I have purchased 96mm P/C's along with a 78mm crank and am awaiting on the parts to come in. If anyone has any tips and tricks on the assembly of this I am open to suggestions, me and my father are quite handy with cars and he has owned a race shop so we are doing all of the work (father son project

), I am open to any helpful tips and tricks. Thank you all!
