Hey yall.
Dwayne from E. Tennessee here. Type 3 guy. I've got a 63 Notch and a 69 FI Auto Fastback - I've never driven either one, but I'm doing everything myself with the help of a friend (and no previous mechanical experience) and thesamba and now STF.
I got my Fastback in 2008, but really wanted a notch. Then 2 weeks later I found my notch and after
a lot of begging - my wife let me get it too

. The plan since then has been to learn on the Fasty then do the Notch right. After letting them both sit for 2 years, I finally got started working on the Fasty this spring. I think I'm pretty close to starting it up, but still need a couple parts. Last month I happened upon a T4 GD mostly complete for $100. I had read the project threads by ninja and bobnotch, so I was already intrigued. Plus all those guys that preach stockity stock at thesamba T3 forum are the same ones that trash Fastbacks every chance they get. So guess what....
I'm now cleaning the T4 engine and parts to see what I've got. It must have leaked like a fire hose, I can't believe the amount of crud... So far so good though. 2.0 heads that aren't cracked. SWEET. I've almost lost interest in getting the 1600 running. Gotta get past that though.
My immediate goals are 1. get the car running with the 1600 while I rebuild the T4 engine. 2. convert to the T4 with stock EFI before next summer's invasion (that might be a pipedream). 3. convert stock EFI to Megasquirt.
I'm learning to do everything myself (as much as reasonable) from assembly, to engine rebuild, to beating dents out, to welding, to possibly spraying paint. I just picked up a 67 swing axle torsion housing this weekend and I've got a line on an extra set of IRS trailing arms. I think that combo may be the first project that I take on. Gotta do some more research.
When I get going I'll start a thread with my progress. I'd love to here from any other E. Tenn. folks!