Building the Ultimate Killer Bee!

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
1FASTHOE
Posts: 377
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:42 am

Post by 1FASTHOE »

i feel your pain, winters are brutal here in arizona...... :lol:
User avatar
MNAirHead
Posts: 9570
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:12 am

Post by MNAirHead »

scott the viking wrote:OH YEAH....well I ride a motorcycle with nothing more than a tank top, a pair of camo shorts and flip flops....AAAAND when I get where I am going...I stretch my hand out on the gas tank and smack the end of my finger with a tack hammer. I have recently been building a shield to try and prevent any of the engine heat from providing me with comfort.
Oh yea... I drive the 3 wheeler in a -40 sleet storm with nuttin but a thong.... you autta see the pix.

T.
User avatar
scott the viking
Posts: 3864
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:35 am

Post by scott the viking »

MNAirHead wrote:
scott the viking wrote:OH YEAH....well I ride a motorcycle with nothing more than a tank top, a pair of camo shorts and flip flops....AAAAND when I get where I am going...I stretch my hand out on the gas tank and smack the end of my finger with a tack hammer. I have recently been building a shield to try and prevent any of the engine heat from providing me with comfort.
Oh yea... I drive the 3 wheeler in a -40 sleet storm with nuttin but a thong.... you autta see the pix.

T.
PASS :shock:
User avatar
thrown_hammer
Posts: 609
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:53 am

Post by thrown_hammer »

Much to the shigrin(SP?) of most here I have decided to go the Redux Bus tranny route. Details are in the works. This will give me over 13" of ground clearance without the dreaded swing axle camber dilemma. Since I have no money, limited fab skills, and my Bug is a crawler not a flyer this is the best fit for me.

Technically it IS a bus trans... :P
User avatar
david58
Moderator
Posts: 14100
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:14 pm

Post by david58 »

thrown_hammer wrote:Much to the shigrin(SP?) of most here I have decided to go the Redux Bus tranny route. Details are in the works. This will give me over 13" of ground clearance without the dreaded swing axle camber dilemma. Since I have no money, limited fab skills, and my Bug is a crawler not a flyer this is the best fit for me.

Technically it IS a bus trans... :P
Technically I should know better to say something since Baja5 backed up Scott the Viking about a simple spark issue, but you still have a swing axle. With Bugzilla adaptors you lose clearence untillyou notch the spring plates and jack the torsion springs up. You still have a swing axle.
User avatar
MNAirHead
Posts: 9570
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:12 am

Post by MNAirHead »

You do not loose clearance with a redux.. depending on your hop threashold you gain up to 3" without notching.

T.
User avatar
david58
Moderator
Posts: 14100
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:14 pm

Post by david58 »

Image[/url]
MNAirHead wrote:You do not loose clearance with a redux.. depending on your hop threashold you gain up to 3" without notching.

T.
I wish that was so with Bugzilla adapters. Their adapters move the axle tube about 3 inches or so higher than the center of the spring plate. The axle tube on a swing axle goes thru the center of the spring plate. I thought the same thing until I installed their adapters. The pic posted is not their adapter, but it does show the relationship to where the axle tube is with using their adapters.
User avatar
scott the viking
Posts: 3864
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:35 am

Post by scott the viking »

David58bug wrote:
thrown_hammer wrote:Much to the shigrin(SP?) of most here I have decided to go the Redux Bus tranny route. Details are in the works. This will give me over 13" of ground clearance without the dreaded swing axle camber dilemma. Since I have no money, limited fab skills, and my Bug is a crawler not a flyer this is the best fit for me.

Technically it IS a bus trans... :P
Technically I should know better to say something since Baja5 backed up Scott the Viking about a simple spark issue
Backed up? Is that what that's called? Seemed a little more like me being called a petty jerk than back-up. :lol: It was kind of like a guy giving a complement.....like..."you don't sweat much for a fat guy". Uuuuuh...thanks...I think.
User avatar
david58
Moderator
Posts: 14100
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:14 pm

Post by david58 »

Image
This is the Bugzilla adapter
User avatar
MNAirHead
Posts: 9570
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:12 am

Post by MNAirHead »

I'll have dig up some pix of a set of Johnsons depending on your hop setup, you can reset them for variant heights.



Tim
User avatar
thrown_hammer
Posts: 609
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:53 am

Post by thrown_hammer »

I will have to look at the Zylla adapters. I thought they gave you 3" more ground clearance...
User avatar
david58
Moderator
Posts: 14100
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:14 pm

Post by david58 »

That's what I thought until I installed them and had to remove the fenders to move the car.
User avatar
thrown_hammer
Posts: 609
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:53 am

Post by thrown_hammer »

Maybe you put them on upside down? :lol: KIDDING!
User avatar
david58
Moderator
Posts: 14100
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:14 pm

Post by david58 »

I wish I had it was about a year ago when I put them on. I called Bugzilla and asked them what was up. I was told I had to reindex the torsion bars and notch the spring plates. The Johnson adapters are the way to go, but finding a set is another story. They require dis-mantling the gear reduxes and pressing the housings off the axle tube in order to install them. Special tools are needed to press out the bearings, so be careful.
User avatar
thrown_hammer
Posts: 609
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:53 am

Post by thrown_hammer »

Man everything I try to do to this car requires special tools! If you use the zylla adapters an reindex/notch don't you end up with the camber problem all over again?
Post Reply