Kc's vert rebuild,

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
User avatar
Hedrock
Moderator
Posts: 3251
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:49 pm

Post by Hedrock »

KC... This is going to be real nice when you get it done. You are definitely doing your homework :wink: .
User avatar
KBWAKESK8
Posts: 1072
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:59 pm

Post by KBWAKESK8 »

have you extend the shifter linkage yet. I need to extend mine still.
:shock: :roll:
User avatar
kcnaz
Posts: 362
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:15 pm

Post by kcnaz »

No shifter work yet, once I get the trailing arms set I will float the tranny back and forth to find a good center for the axle length and angle.
Image
Cross drilled the torsion housing, a full butt weld and 4 -1/2" plug welds on each side of that ought to do it. heavy duty insert eh? 2 1/4 x 4.......lol
Image
Last edited by kcnaz on Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Offroading vicariously
User avatar
Leatherneck
Moderator
Posts: 17104
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:47 pm

Post by Leatherneck »

Keith, is that a solid plug?

Image
User avatar
kcnaz
Posts: 362
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:15 pm

Post by kcnaz »

Yep thats a solid plug, yes its heavy but it works. We did a lube trailer at work that way last year and the trailer bed is falling down around the axles now. If ya really want to try out a new truck run it in an open pit mine for a year. You would not believe the welding needed on a 3/4 ton truck after a year.......bed mounts, body mounts, frames and door hinges and on and on.
Got the rear welded in today. The idea of rotating the piviot box around the torsion does change the wheel camber. I had the tire setting on the ground with an angle of about 30*(not that I am setting the thing up at that angle) and was able to rotate the piviot box around and watch the camber changes.
Next I set up the tranny and find that sweet spot to determine minimum axle plunge and maximum travel. Outside rim to rim I am at 84".

Image
Image
Image
Image
Offroading vicariously
User avatar
kcnaz
Posts: 362
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:15 pm

Post by kcnaz »

Welded in and 24" of travel .......7" droop.
I set the piviots up so I am at zero camber at ride height.
Image
Offroading vicariously
User avatar
rte592
Posts: 606
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:19 pm

Post by rte592 »

Hey kcnaz
I made it in, there goes the neighborhood :lol:

Running thru your progress I had a few questions (you knew I would)
This broken bolt picture IF you havent fixed it already?

Image

Here is the quick fix
Grind a flat spot on 2 sides of the washer so you can put a wrench on it (like a nut) And just weld the washer to the stud sticking out (the heat usually loosens the stuck threads) and they thread right out in most cases.

Also the solid rod inside the torsion tube (nice and thick yes) But you probably didnt get much weld penitration into the solid rod.

Post up a curent half and half picture :D Would like to see the progress on that alteration.
User avatar
Leatherneck
Moderator
Posts: 17104
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:47 pm

Post by Leatherneck »

rte592, welcome to the STF Off Road forum. Seems like you have been around the block a time or two and you know KC, hmmm going to have to watch you two. :lol: Thanks for your help already!

Leatherneck
User avatar
kcnaz
Posts: 362
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:15 pm

Post by kcnaz »

Been busy the last 4 months with life and family matters. No I didn't get divorced....
The car has been on hold and plans have changed. We are moving soon to a new home so the car will be on hold for a bit more time as we pack and get ready for the move. I did stop by Ron's and pick up these a-arm bulkheads. Still collecting parts.....hehe
More pics tomorrow...
firewall bulkhead
Image
front bulkhead, backside is recessed for steering coupler
Image
front bulkhead, front side is predrilled for steering rack.
Image
Offroading vicariously
User avatar
Leatherneck
Moderator
Posts: 17104
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:47 pm

Post by Leatherneck »

Looks interesting would like to see the other parts to this puzzle. :D
User avatar
kcnaz
Posts: 362
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:15 pm

Post by kcnaz »

I'll have the set up posted here tomorrow.....
Offroading vicariously
User avatar
kcnaz
Posts: 362
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:15 pm

Post by kcnaz »

this is the setup with the bulkheads,,notice the 15 degree rake on the front end. Bushings on the bottom arms and Hiems on the top arms.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Offroading vicariously
User avatar
Leatherneck
Moderator
Posts: 17104
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:47 pm

Post by Leatherneck »

Oh that will be nice, pwr steering too? Will that be a kit or turnkey?
User avatar
kcnaz
Posts: 362
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:15 pm

Post by kcnaz »

Just talking about it now but once we are in the new house and settled in I have new plans for my car and this set up is in the plans. That front in the pictures is on a car Ron is building, not mine.
For now I am lurking and collecting parts again.
This is the back of that car.......
Image
Offroading vicariously
User avatar
findog78
Posts: 548
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2002 12:01 am

Post by findog78 »

Dang...thats some serious hardware!
Post Reply