Twowheeletex baja build, finally.

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
User avatar
twowheeletex
Posts: 210
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:25 am

Post by twowheeletex »

so here are the pictures and videos i promised. be gentle, she's not finished.

this was the workspace I had.

Image

how she sits now.

Image

Image

Image

Image

and now a video

Image
I guess when your just hacking, not everything goes to plan.

My Build Thread
User avatar
ntsqd
Posts: 2291
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:58 am

Post by ntsqd »

Interesting light mounts. Have you got a close-up picture of them? Were they intended to be something else and got modified, or were they always meant to be light mounts?

What my fiberglass buggy taught me is that fiberglass likes distributed loads and dislikes point loads like your rear lights on the rear cowl piece. I'd suggest moving them to metal structure of some sort as soon as is reasonable.

Those oil filter mounts are very vulnerable to getting hit and spurting the engine's life blood on the ground before you can stop it. If you can afford to do it I would suggest going full flow as soon as is reasonable. The old trick of blowing compressed air into the oil pressure switch port combined with a greased tap works very well at keeping the chips out of the engine.
Cross-threaded is tighter than Lock-tite
User avatar
Class 11 streeter
Posts: 4083
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2001 12:01 am

Post by Class 11 streeter »

twowheeletex wrote:and now a video

Image
Nice vid. Catchy tune for a soundtrack.

That telephone pole at 00:25 sure came up fast!!! :shock:
So you think your project is taking forever eh? Well you've got nothing on me.....
User avatar
moneypit
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:14 pm

Post by moneypit »

ntsqd wrote:Interesting light mounts. Have you got a close-up picture of them? Were they intended to be something else and got modified, or were they always meant to be light mounts?
LOL... They weren't always light mounts. They're off of a T-64 engine from an MH-53 Pave Low. When the airframe was phased out he and I went rummaging through the leftover parts that were getting thrown out and found quite a few goodies. 8)
User avatar
twowheeletex
Posts: 210
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:25 am

Post by twowheeletex »

yeah. and there is a t-56 engine junction box out of a c-130 under the trunk lid. if it didn't look like a rats nest right now I'd have pictured that as well. there is a picture of it pre-installation earlier in the thread.

that telephone pole was much scarier the day before the video was taken when my steering shaft came loose on that same corner.

as far as the piece of fiberglass my lights are mounted to, it feels sturdier than the metal bits of the car. it's about 1/4 in thick.
I guess when your just hacking, not everything goes to plan.

My Build Thread
User avatar
Lotrat
Posts: 4975
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:43 pm

Post by Lotrat »

:D

Looks like someone enjoys that wide turn... Good job getting another baja back in the dirt.
User avatar
twowheeletex
Posts: 210
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:25 am

Post by twowheeletex »

well a quick update. the baja is now on hold. I am currently deployed to one of the various middle eastern deserts. that's as descript as I can be for now. 30-50knot wind gusts and the temperature is already well over 110deg. it's not terrible though, the food is delicious. I'll be back in full swing in 5ish months. until then I'll be lurking around when I get the chance.

and that corner is awesome.
I guess when your just hacking, not everything goes to plan.

My Build Thread
User avatar
Big Dave
Posts: 3208
Joined: Tue May 17, 2005 4:31 pm

Post by Big Dave »

God speed brother. Wherever you are, I've probably been there.
It has been flirting with the century mark here for a couple weeks now. I can think of much worse places to be, and it sounds like you are there :D

Three more weeks and I'm outta this hole! :twisted:
I don't always show my signature. But when I do, it's in this area.
aunt gloria
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:50 am

Your VW and Buggy

Post by aunt gloria »

Hey there, Just checking out your pictures. I like the VW. The kid accross the street bought a VW...looks like the one you have...
Looks like some work to keep you busy....Take care...I love you!!!!! :P
User avatar
Lotrat
Posts: 4975
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:43 pm

Post by Lotrat »

:shock:
Dude, your baja is a chick magnet!

Are keeping the stock steering wheel? If so you can have the back of mine to cover up your hole.
User avatar
twowheeletex
Posts: 210
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:25 am

Post by twowheeletex »

that would be awesome. that steering wheel looks like absolute do-do.
I guess when your just hacking, not everything goes to plan.

My Build Thread
damquick1
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:37 am

Post by damquick1 »

I really Miss FWB, you must be at Hulburt?
looks like your bug is in either Holly/Navarre or Crestview?
I miss the reservation runs we used to do!
Good luck in the sand, come back safe!

Damquick1
User avatar
twowheeletex
Posts: 210
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:25 am

Post by twowheeletex »

I am at hurlburt. the bug is way up in Crestucky. moneypit and I usually run around the range. in fact he just brought his jeep back from Minnesota. I dunno if he will be able to keep up with the Baja now.

what do you guys use in the way of CB's? just a standard 100$ truck stop job with a firestick whip bolted to the roof or what? damquick1 you know how big the range is. having a CB is a must.
I guess when your just hacking, not everything goes to plan.

My Build Thread
damquick1
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:37 am

Post by damquick1 »

We always used handhelds I have a set with a 10 mile range, but I did see somewhere that they now sell handheld CB's with a much broader range.
HA HA good ol' CrestVegas.....
I heard that they closed down access to the lakes on the reservation and Turkey Creek too.....what a shame, there were many good mud holes out there.

How about the clay pits? are they still ot there by the first fire tower? When I was a kid we'd cut through the woods on our dirtbikes in Poquito Bayou Housing and head right for fire tower number 1 and the clay pits were the best place to ride.
User avatar
twowheeletex
Posts: 210
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:25 am

Post by twowheeletex »

east of hwy 85? I have't explored to terribly much of that area. I mostly hang around the hwy 87 area.
I guess when your just hacking, not everything goes to plan.

My Build Thread
Post Reply