My chenowth 4lwd upgrades *Now Honda swap*
- CentralWAbaja
- Posts: 4291
- Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:05 pm
Re: My chenowth 4lwd upgrades
Nice recovery! They look good....again 
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
- fusername
- Posts: 6806
- Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:26 am
Re: My chenowth 4lwd upgrades
I learned of needing to do that w/ stainless. is it also necassary w/ chromo ( I assume the arms are 4140) or is it simply a good idea whenever possible? I luckily (Read:accidentally) got my hands on 2 foot gas valves, once I plan on using to do argon purging an the like. all stainless exhaust systems will be sweeeeeetfordfreak wrote:Yea, I purge welded the arms. I consistently fill the inside with argon while welding them. This gives a completely penetrated weld and keeps the backside of the root pass clean like the top of the weld.Devastator wrote:Is that a plastic tube inserted in your arms in picture 4?
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.
Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
-
fordfreak
- Posts: 227
- Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:09 am
Re: My chenowth 4lwd upgrades
If you want the best weld and the cost of gas is not a big deal, then purge ALL welds! Stainless, chromoly, mild steel, alum, ti, inconel, etc..
T joints or lap joints no real need to purge, mainly butt joints.
Ever try welding with no shielding gas? Well that's whats happening to the underside of your weld.
T joints or lap joints no real need to purge, mainly butt joints.
Ever try welding with no shielding gas? Well that's whats happening to the underside of your weld.
- Getrdone
- Posts: 2978
- Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:38 pm
Re: My chenowth 4lwd upgrades
I like to......when I can afford it!
-
fordfreak
- Posts: 227
- Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:09 am
Re: My chenowth 4lwd upgrades
Small update guys. I got all my tubing bent for the front shock towers, but haven't started on them yet. I was waiting to buy a steering rack first and get my tie rods made so I can see what kind of clearance I have.
I noticed some sagging tubing that holds the engine and trans up, so I yanked everything and gonna replace it. The project deepens. lol
I think I'm gonna go with a bigger motor while it's out. 21xx cc or something (1915 now). I'll send it out somewhere so I can get this thing done!!


Tube sag... Check the 1in tube on the left. Its really bad.



I noticed some sagging tubing that holds the engine and trans up, so I yanked everything and gonna replace it. The project deepens. lol
I think I'm gonna go with a bigger motor while it's out. 21xx cc or something (1915 now). I'll send it out somewhere so I can get this thing done!!


Tube sag... Check the 1in tube on the left. Its really bad.



- Devastator
- Posts: 3493
- Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:51 am
Re: My chenowth 4lwd upgrades
Good catch.fordfreak wrote:I noticed some sagging tubing that holds the engine and trans up, so I yanked everything and gonna replace it.
Devastator's Build Thread
Sandrail
2.4 liter, supercharged Chevy Ecotec
"If everything seems under control, you're just not
going fast enough."
Mario Andretti
Sandrail
2.4 liter, supercharged Chevy Ecotec
"If everything seems under control, you're just not
going fast enough."
Mario Andretti
-
JUSSUMGUY
- Posts: 2467
- Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:23 pm
Re: My chenowth 4lwd upgrades
Things do seem to snowball. Much better to catch it now than later.
What microstubs did you end up using?
What microstubs did you end up using?
-
fordfreak
- Posts: 227
- Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:09 am
Re: My chenowth 4lwd upgrades
I haven't bought my microstubs yet. Those you see in the picture are CNC from a friends car I borrowed for mock up.
I've decided to go with the Saco kit. Excellent quality and only $990.00. Unless I come across a used kit for a good price. I'm on a budget here!
I've decided to go with the Saco kit. Excellent quality and only $990.00. Unless I come across a used kit for a good price. I'm on a budget here!
- 59Bisquik
- Posts: 468
- Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:18 am
Re: My chenowth 4lwd upgrades
Good catch on the bent tube. My old Chenowth 2LW had the same tube bent.
- rickosuave1987
- Posts: 4640
- Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:15 pm
Re: My chenowth 4lwd upgrades
Strange... On our 4lwd that tube has an upward bend in it... And it looks "factory" on our car...
Baja
HookIt
GK Electric & Suave Racing - Looking for sponsors!!
SuaveRacing FaceBook
Thank you to SuaveRacing Sponsors for your support!
HookIt
GK Electric & Suave Racing - Looking for sponsors!!
SuaveRacing FaceBook
Thank you to SuaveRacing Sponsors for your support!
- GK Electric
- Posts: 133
- Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:15 pm
Re: My chenowth 4lwd upgrades
The spare frame we had also had the same upward bend in that tube.rickosuave1987 wrote:Strange... On our 4lwd that tube has an upward bend in it... And it looks "factory" on our car...
-
fordfreak
- Posts: 227
- Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:09 am
Re: My chenowth 4lwd upgrades
How much bend do you have? Mine definitely is unmodified. Another frame I saw also was bent down like mine. I wonder if mine popped into the opposite direction from the weight? ! My side tubes aren't pulled in or anything.
My frame horn tubes that hold the bottom trans mount are bent down like crazy. I have to replace those too. Ill post a pic in the morning.
My frame horn tubes that hold the bottom trans mount are bent down like crazy. I have to replace those too. Ill post a pic in the morning.
-
JUSSUMGUY
- Posts: 2467
- Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:23 pm
Re: My chenowth 4lwd upgrades
Mine also has the upward bend.
- rickosuave1987
- Posts: 4640
- Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:15 pm
Re: My chenowth 4lwd upgrades
I don't think it could "pop" down...fordfreak wrote:How much bend do you have? Mine definitely is unmodified. Another frame I saw also was bent down like mine. I wonder if mine popped into the opposite direction from the weight? ! My side tubes aren't pulled in or anything.
My frame horn tubes that hold the bottom trans mount are bent down like crazy. I have to replace those too. Ill post a pic in the morning.
I will take a picture of ours and post it up.
Maybe Chenowth changed how they put that tube in sometime during the building? What chassis number is yours?
Baja
HookIt
GK Electric & Suave Racing - Looking for sponsors!!
SuaveRacing FaceBook
Thank you to SuaveRacing Sponsors for your support!
HookIt
GK Electric & Suave Racing - Looking for sponsors!!
SuaveRacing FaceBook
Thank you to SuaveRacing Sponsors for your support!
- fusername
- Posts: 6806
- Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:26 am
Re: My chenowth 4lwd upgrades
or they welded it in upside down and bent the lower arms.
I doubt it. But if it seems possible, I can belive that they had a bending issue and replaced a straight line w/ a slight bow to counter the force and send it to the side rails.
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.
Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.