Page 6 of 11
Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:50 am
by RyanB
I was going to go with type 4 CV's which would give me 22 degree's of tilt acording to the BCR website. I am trying to source the CV's and not having much luck at the moment. There are NO CV's for sale on TheSamba.. Pretty wild.
Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:16 am
by Leatherneck
Ryan here is where I got mine from, call them up unless you see it on the site but I would call. Do not know if they have any in stock but seemed like good guys to work with.
http://www.germanautodismantlers.com/home.asp
Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:28 pm
by RyanB
Anybody know where I can get some cheaper axles? lol...
Sway-A-Way VW IRS Axle Set, 19 1/4 inches Long $186
EDIT:
Question... Bus Axles are 18 3/4". Which is 1/2" shorter then the custom axles... So if that is the case if they were centered exactly they would be short 1/4" in each end...
I could either push the transmission back some when I fab it up... Or just use the shorter axles? am I losing too much with the shorter axle?
~R
Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:42 pm
by tuff_puff
check the samba classifieds there might be some axles on there used. but i would just say spend the $200 on new ones. try mkkenzies, or kartech. they might have them cheaper.
www.vwparts.net is where i got my stuff
Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:50 pm
by RyanB
I might be inclined to do that. But it sounds like it is $189 PER axle. That seems a bit crazy. So the idea to move the transmission back somewhat isnt a doable idea?
Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:33 pm
by Leatherneck
RyanB wrote:I might be inclined to do that. But it sounds like it is $189 PER axle. That seems a bit crazy. So the idea to move the transmission back somewhat isnt a doable idea?
If it where me I would give that a shot. The axle is a little short so moving it back is not going to lose any movement. So if you can do it I would try it.
Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:12 am
by bajaherbie
doesn't latest rage sell some cheap axles? not sure of the quality though.
check with pacific customs unlimited.....
Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:30 am
by RyanB
Well here are some pics! Not that there is a whole lot going on...
Here are my new trailing arms from Blind Chicken Racing. They are even blue...
Larger Pic
I am getting ready now to repair the damage to the hood in this picture. Which means everything has to come off...
Larger Pic
Here it is somewhat broken back down. I've gotten further then this though. Tank it removed and so is the bar. Body needs to come off next...
Larger Pic
OK... Now... a Few questions for you folks... From the BCR site...
http://www.blindchickenracing.com/How_t ... ts_101.htm
Type 1 is 12 degrees
Type 2 is 17 degrees
Type 4 is 22 degrees
930 is 25 degrees
What exactly constitutes a "type 4". Anything with a type 4 engine in it will have those CV's? So the later Vanagons? Where does Thing Type 181 CV's fit into this picture?
Further to this again at the BCR site...
http://www.blindchickenracing.com/How_t ... es_101.htm
They talk about type 924/944/181 stub axles. However what about Type 2 stubs? Are they better to go with then Bug stubs? Can you not use Type 2 stubs with Type 4 CV's? Obviously you can use type 2 stubs with Type 2 CV's. But I am only gaining 5 degree's going with Type 2 CV's. I may go this route thought to jsut get me moving....
As always I appreciate your input!
Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:41 am
by Leatherneck
Type 4 in this case refers to the Porche style, The Vanagon axles are even llonger I am pretty sure. The Thing CV's are the same as t-2 and 4 except 930's
RyanB wrote:They talk about type 924/944/181 stub axles. However what about Type 2 stubs? Are they better to go with then Bug stubs? Can you not use Type 2 stubs with Type 4 CV's? Obviously you can use type 2 stubs with Type 2 CV's. But I am only gaining 5 degree's going with Type 2 CV's. I may go this route thought to jsut get me moving....
As always I appreciate your input!
Yes you can I am using T-2 stubs with 944 CV's
Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:19 pm
by RyanB
Reading comprehension FTW! <sigh> Sometimes I skim things way too fast. I need to slow down and digest the info a little better...
Thanks for your input Leather! I appreciate it!
So, this is the breakdown so far. LEt me know if I have any of it incorrect...
From the BCR site...
http://www.blindchickenracing.com/How_t ... ts_101.htm
Type 1 is 12 degrees (Bug's)
Type 2 is 17 degrees (Bus/Vanagon?)
Type 4 is 22 degrees (Porche 924/944/VW Thing-181)
930 is 25 degrees (Porche 930)
Further to this again at the BCR site...
http://www.blindchickenracing.com/How_t ... es_101.htm
Type 1 Stubs - Your replacing these right? haha.
Type 2 Stubs - Same as Type 4 Stub??
Type 4 Stubs - Works with type 2/4 CV's.
Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:58 pm
by RyanB
So.. Delving further in to this....
According to the trans for dummies at the top of the page...
Some Axle lengths
beetle 16 1/4"
T2 bus 18 3/4"
T2 to T1 15 5/8" (for T2 tranny in T1)
T2 W/3" arm 17 1/2" (for T2 tranny in T1)
T2 W/3X3 arm 19 3/4" (for T2 tranny in T1)
vanagon AT 22 3/8" (long axle)
vanagon AT 20 1/2" (short axle)
vanagon MT 21 1/8"
However sway away says some things differently...
19 1/4" Bus Trans, 3" Longer by 3" Wider Arms, Stock Rear Section
So there is a half inch difference there... Any input there?
And whats the deal with the last 3? Is that Vanagon model numbers I can find those axles in?
Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:05 pm
by takotruckin
vanagons came with an auto (at) or manual (mt) transmission. with a manual, the axles are the same length. with an auto, the left and right axles are different lengths
Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:11 pm
by RyanB
Thanks Taco... I guess I should have realized that since I have a Type 3 auto tranny I am putting in antoher project car. uhg.

Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:46 pm
by RyanB
So this little project has been derailed since I am sourcing parts...
I've gotten everything I need to do the fibreglass repair on the hood. Should be doing that this next week actually. But I am still looking for stubs and axles and whatnot...
I saw this on the samba...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... ?id=345594
Is that a good deal?
Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:52 pm
by RyanB
Bummer nobody was sure about that deal on those parts in my previous post?
Not a whole lot to report so far. However I removed the body again. Glad I made it much easier to remove.
Larger Pic
If nobody has an comments on the previous post... Does anyone think I will be ok with Type2 CV's on the 3x3 arms?