RyanB's Baja - popping/backfire under load

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
User avatar
RyanB
Posts: 1466
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:01 am

Post by RyanB »

Skidmark wrote:Heat will break down the loctite. Use a propane torch, but don't get it too hot to damage the case.
I tried that. Maybe my torch didnt get it hot enough. I dunno. I could certainly smell the locktite, but it never loosened it up sadly. :evil:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
My current build thread:
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 8&t=139952

R.I.P. Alfred Munson I miss you. http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9927
User avatar
Leatherneck
Moderator
Posts: 17104
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:47 pm

Post by Leatherneck »

Heat it some more then if possible weld a smaller bolt on the end so you can turn it out. Have to watch the easy outs they can expand the bolt and crack the surrounding area.
User avatar
RyanB
Posts: 1466
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:01 am

Post by RyanB »

Well, After a bunch of time on Saturday. I finished up the case inserts. As is the case with things you have done the 1st time, one side wasnt done very well. I didnt get the hole deep enough and had to grind down the insert a bit. The other side was perfect though.

I actually drove the car to work this morning. The wide tires make the car grab every damn rut in the road. I'd forgotten about that feeling. Due to the 4to1 exhaust, I dont have any heat in the car. Man was it cold.

I do have a ford 3.2 turbo though that I have lined up. Gonna grab that with my IRS refund and an adapter plate. I also have big nut Redux out of a bus. Gonna get that cleaned up and ready and fab up the parts I am going to need to put it in my Baja.

Short term, I have a grounding problem on my passenger headlight assembly. May need to pull that all apart to figure out what the issue is.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
My current build thread:
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 8&t=139952

R.I.P. Alfred Munson I miss you. http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9927
User avatar
Leatherneck
Moderator
Posts: 17104
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:47 pm

Post by Leatherneck »

3.2 Turbo, sweeet that should be fun.
User avatar
RyanB
Posts: 1466
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:01 am

Post by RyanB »

I updated the topic. I have purchased a Turbo 2.3 Liter Ford motor and picked up the adapter! I'll try and get pics up tonight. Working on getting a Radiator. Hoping to really fast track this and have it ready within the next few weeks!
--------------------------------------------------------------------
My current build thread:
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 8&t=139952

R.I.P. Alfred Munson I miss you. http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9927
User avatar
RyanB
Posts: 1466
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:01 am

Post by RyanB »

RyanB wrote:I updated the topic. I have purchased a Turbo 2.3 Liter Ford motor and picked up the adapter! I'll try and get pics up tonight. Working on getting a Radiator. Hoping to really fast track this and have it ready within the next few weeks!

Thats an amusing statement I suppose... I seem to change my mind more often then my 1st girlfriend in high school...

Due to money issues, I am actually selling the Ford 2.3 now. As well as most of my buggy stuff. I'll probably stay aircooled for now it appears. I really need to get back on this thing though. I've hardly touched it since my last update.

I am working on getting a used P/C set of 94mm for an engine I want to put into this car. Once I have that put together I can finally tear down the current engine which has an REALLY bad oil leak at the crank. I think that the person who put the motor together did not put on the oil slinger or something. If that is the case I'll have to split the case to rectify the problem....
--------------------------------------------------------------------
My current build thread:
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 8&t=139952

R.I.P. Alfred Munson I miss you. http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9927
User avatar
Leatherneck
Moderator
Posts: 17104
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:47 pm

Post by Leatherneck »

Put a bolt on sand seal on it. I am not using a oil slinger in mine, have not for quite awhile now. Won't have to split the case, unless your just wanting to part something.
User avatar
RyanB
Posts: 1466
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:01 am

Post by RyanB »

Leatherneck wrote:Put a bolt on sand seal on it. I am not using a oil slinger in mine, have not for quite awhile now. Won't have to split the case, unless your just wanting to part something.
Well that is the interesting part here. It has a sand seal on it. Not sure if it was installed incorrectly or what. This weekend I plan on taking a really good look at it. :roll:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
My current build thread:
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 8&t=139952

R.I.P. Alfred Munson I miss you. http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9927
User avatar
RyanB
Posts: 1466
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:01 am

Post by RyanB »

Mmmm. so... I still have the 2.3 turbo and adapter plate. I lined up a few other parts and I think I am gonna once again move forward on this.

Yes, I did change my mind. Again. I just cant stand having no heat. The car is undrivable in the winter with no heat here in Oregon.

Motor is sitting there waiting... begging me to play with it. I have to track down my wiring diagrams again and see if I can get it to fire up with a transaxle there on the ground.

Anyhow, I am still around. Like anyone missed me.


:roll: :twisted:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
My current build thread:
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 8&t=139952

R.I.P. Alfred Munson I miss you. http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9927
User avatar
david58
Moderator
Posts: 14100
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:14 pm

Post by david58 »

RyanB wrote:
Anyhow, I am still around. Like anyone missed me.


:roll: :twisted:
I knew we were missing somebody. :shock: Good to see ya back. :wink:
User avatar
Skidmark
Posts: 3509
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:19 pm

Post by Skidmark »

Holy Rip Van Winkle, Batman!

Good to see you are still playing with VW's...
"Your car sounds angry, and it wants to go fast all the time..."
(quote from my daughter, after driving my car)

It's not complicated, it's just expensive...
User avatar
2gr8dgs
Posts: 173
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:17 am

Post by 2gr8dgs »

Ryan, get that thing running, so we can go on a ride. I often visit a friend who lives outside of Carlton, lots of fun logging roads on the way to the coast! [img][img]http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h80/2 ... IMG014.jpg[/img][/img]
User avatar
RyanB
Posts: 1466
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:01 am

Post by RyanB »

Wow... That looks like fun 2gr8dgs!! It would be awesome if I could hook up with some other Baja's. Carlton is just a stones throw from here. Dont hesitate to let me know the next time you guys are gonna hit the trails! I have a VW motor in it now so could go out anytime. I also have some mudbogger rear wheels that would be awesome for trail riding. Just have to find some wheels to put them on.


Right now I am trying to source an intercooler. I have one lined up from type4 in newberg. After that it is finding a header that will work with the turbo and wiring. No pics to post for probably a few weeks as I also need to finish up rebuilding my Quad and get it out of the way so I have space to work in the garage.

Skid, I may be selling my glass buggies but you would have to pry my Baja steering wheel from my cold dead hands before I let go if it. :twisted:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
My current build thread:
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 8&t=139952

R.I.P. Alfred Munson I miss you. http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9927
User avatar
Leatherneck
Moderator
Posts: 17104
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:47 pm

Post by Leatherneck »

RyanB wrote:Wow... That looks like fun 2gr8dgs!! It would be awesome if I could hook up with some other Baja's. Carlton is just a stones throw from here. Dont hesitate to let me know the next time you guys are gonna hit the trails! I have a VW motor in it now so could go out anytime. I also have some mudbogger rear wheels that would be awesome for trail riding. Just have to find some wheels to put them on.


Right now I am trying to source an intercooler. I have one lined up from type4 in newberg. After that it is finding a header that will work with the turbo and wiring. No pics to post for probably a few weeks as I also need to finish up rebuilding my Quad and get it out of the way so I have space to work in the garage.

Skid, I may be selling my glass buggies but you would have to pry my Baja steering wheel from my cold dead hands before I let go if it. :twisted:
Ryan, did you score a intercooler? I found mine on Ebay,there are some good finds in there just have to hunt for them. What else have you been up to? I know you have been up to something, so cough it up buddy.
User avatar
Lotrat
Posts: 4975
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:43 pm

Post by Lotrat »

RyanB wrote:Still here.... If your talking about my black Baja, I am still getting ready to put the motor in. I got to the point of having so many projects my head was spinning. I've traded away my rail, ive traded away the blue thunder buggy. Still have a number of other things to take care of but at least I have room in my garage now to bring in the Baja and put the 2.3 turbo into it.

As Lee mentioned, I've been doing quads. To be honest, it's very very very nice to be able to just gas and Go. It's quite RARE to break something on a quad. There was a few weekends where I would break something on the rail the 1st day and that was it. I was done. So moved on to quads. Now that I have a Toy Hauler and my quads for the entire family, I can look into finishing my Baja and even thinking about getting another Rail... :roll:
Post Reply