What did you do to your turbo today?

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
User avatar
panel
Posts: 4253
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2000 12:01 am

Re: My turbo type 4

Post by panel »

sved wrote:Image
Ready to install
Looks good...............but do you think you could go bigger on the exhaust :?:
'65 Bus with a JDM Subaru EJ20 Turbo
Built by Germans powered by Japanese and brought together by Canadians
User avatar
Leatherneck
Moderator
Posts: 17104
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:47 pm

Post by Leatherneck »

What did I do to my turbo today? Drove the piss out of it. :D There are a couple tuner guys who now have a new respect for the VW engine :lol:
User avatar
seabeebuggy
Posts: 3582
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:25 am

Post by seabeebuggy »

Good times. any photos?
www.BigMikesGuns.com oe https://www.BMGAA.com
Thomas Jefferson said It may be necessary for a country to have a revolution every 200 years to right the wrongs of a Government.
Got Lead?
User avatar
Kenny2428
Posts: 2830
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2002 12:01 am

Post by Kenny2428 »

Leatherneck wrote:What did I do to my turbo today? Drove the piss out of it. :D There are a couple tuner guys who now have a new respect for the VW engine :lol:
Do you have any more videos of it??
User avatar
Leatherneck
Moderator
Posts: 17104
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:47 pm

Post by Leatherneck »

:( no I do not, after the last videos I need to come up with a better mount. It was a blast, they drove up giving the thumbs up probably only doing 40 at the time (edge of town) went ahead and pasted me, got out of town and I jumped on it passed the yellow one and had to jump on the brakes for the red one, listening to his fart can he was honkin on it. After a few miles I slowed down and let the yellow one go by, they had big grins on there face, they kept going me I slowed down and stepped back into maturity for a bit :( it was fun while it lasted. Was running 5-7 lbs the whole time.

I had alot of hills to go through and if it where not for the turbo I would of been using 3rd gear alot, remember I am turning 33 X 12.50 X 15's but it was cool to feel it accelerating up the hills even passing cars going up hills, do not know if you guys have ever been to Arkansas but we have some hills to climb. All and all had a great time, put over 320 miles in one day on the buggy spent some time with a good friend and only problem was coil mount came off and was just hanging there, I can live with that.
User avatar
volksnut
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2001 12:01 am

Post by volksnut »

the motor is in and running, I fab'ed a oil filler mount/breather for clearance of the down tube, I also used an old Ford valve cover for the cap and screw attachment for the top, also check out the deck lid prop, a unused wrench came in handy there....linkage is done and smooth, next a air cleaner (those 2" SU's are BIG)....oh and a tail pipe
Image
Image
User avatar
MarioVelotta
Posts: 4086
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2003 12:01 am

Post by MarioVelotta »

Looking good. What did you use for throttle cable?
The Dub Shop
[email protected]
1600 ITB NA - 18sec
1600 Supercharged - 13psi - 15.40 @ 84.66mph
1600 Turbo - 185hp 250tq!! Going for 200
2276 Turbo - 15psi - 11.537 @ 115.74mph
Facebook-Tech-Store
User avatar
Kenny2428
Posts: 2830
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2002 12:01 am

Post by Kenny2428 »

Volksnut, that looks really good. Are you going to run it at the track?
User avatar
volksnut
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2001 12:01 am

Post by volksnut »

hahahaha...the throttle cable is a universal unit from Empi with the early and late ends, you use the one you need and cut off the other, the sleeve is from a bike, I drill a hole in the tin near the oil cooler duct, run the factory sleeve to there, feed the bike sleeve inside the end, it will seat in about a 1/2" and run your cable through it, cut off what you don't need, and there you have it....a throttle cable Kenny, yes once I get it tuned it will be at the track, I did install it on the 2 litre, I thought what the heck...we'll see, I'll keep you all posted
User avatar
sideshow
Posts: 3428
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2003 11:00 am

Post by sideshow »

volksnut wrote: Image
How about a closer look at that filler? I don't like the graphic but it looks like an easy fill point and a nice breather fitting.
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.
User avatar
MarioVelotta
Posts: 4086
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2003 12:01 am

Post by MarioVelotta »

Nice way to do it.
The Dub Shop
[email protected]
1600 ITB NA - 18sec
1600 Supercharged - 13psi - 15.40 @ 84.66mph
1600 Turbo - 185hp 250tq!! Going for 200
2276 Turbo - 15psi - 11.537 @ 115.74mph
Facebook-Tech-Store
mbugz60
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:14 pm

Post by mbugz60 »

Image

I hooked up the nitrous under the holley.
iswinkels
Posts: 731
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 3:17 am

Post by iswinkels »

Well my project has been underway for about a year but has only been lately that ive making a lot of headway. I am essentially rebuilding my entire car from the chassis up. The previous build was a 2332 turbo, built T1 box, flawless re-spray, porsche 944 brakes, 17" wheels... german looker.

The car was great fun but was also unstable at speed, and it didnt handle. Also the engine could have snapped the T1 box like a twig so I could never drive it really hard. So something had to be done about it. The only way to go was to build a new chassis from scratch. So with a lot of planning and parts sourcing its all come together.

So the chassis you see below is now fitted with alloy 1998 944 turbo front and rear suspension, porsche 924 rack and pinion steering conversion, honda civic spec tein super streets (adjustable dampner suspension), a 1988 Porsche 911 turbo 4 speed gearbox with modified drive flanges to fit the 944 turbo CV's. All suspension settings are adjustable. Wheel track is widened 100mm all round so its the same wheelbase and track as a 1998 944 turbo. Wheels are from a porsche 996 and are 18x8 and 18x10 with bridgestone RE55 semi slicks.

Image

Image

Image

Ive since fitted the body to the chassis and have nearly finished the trial fitting and body modifications.

Image

Bolt in alloy firewall up top, and sheet metal to be welded to the front yet...
Image

Removable rear end with a lot of clearancing for what will be the most extreme engine I ever plan to build.
Image

And here is the car as it is now. Wide guards arrive later this week. Body gets lifted from the chassis... chassis sandblasted and painted etc...
Image

If there's much interest I might post updates on the chassis build here. I did intend to post up the build of the rocky jennings WBX based 2443 twin turbo engine. Lots of juicy parts in that.

Cheers,
Ian
mbugz60
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:14 pm

Post by mbugz60 »

Ian, that looks like an interesting project. I would definitely like to see more of it. Keep us updated.
Mike
mbugz60
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:14 pm

Post by mbugz60 »

I installed an AEM water/methanol injection on my split bug today.
Post Reply