Page 6 of 80

Re: My turbo type 4

Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:04 pm
by panel
sved wrote:Image
Ready to install
Looks good...............but do you think you could go bigger on the exhaust :?:

Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:23 pm
by Leatherneck
What did I do to my turbo today? Drove the piss out of it. :D There are a couple tuner guys who now have a new respect for the VW engine :lol:

Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:55 pm
by seabeebuggy
Good times. any photos?

Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:48 pm
by Kenny2428
Leatherneck wrote:What did I do to my turbo today? Drove the piss out of it. :D There are a couple tuner guys who now have a new respect for the VW engine :lol:
Do you have any more videos of it??

Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:55 am
by Leatherneck
:( no I do not, after the last videos I need to come up with a better mount. It was a blast, they drove up giving the thumbs up probably only doing 40 at the time (edge of town) went ahead and pasted me, got out of town and I jumped on it passed the yellow one and had to jump on the brakes for the red one, listening to his fart can he was honkin on it. After a few miles I slowed down and let the yellow one go by, they had big grins on there face, they kept going me I slowed down and stepped back into maturity for a bit :( it was fun while it lasted. Was running 5-7 lbs the whole time.

I had alot of hills to go through and if it where not for the turbo I would of been using 3rd gear alot, remember I am turning 33 X 12.50 X 15's but it was cool to feel it accelerating up the hills even passing cars going up hills, do not know if you guys have ever been to Arkansas but we have some hills to climb. All and all had a great time, put over 320 miles in one day on the buggy spent some time with a good friend and only problem was coil mount came off and was just hanging there, I can live with that.

Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:12 am
by volksnut
the motor is in and running, I fab'ed a oil filler mount/breather for clearance of the down tube, I also used an old Ford valve cover for the cap and screw attachment for the top, also check out the deck lid prop, a unused wrench came in handy there....linkage is done and smooth, next a air cleaner (those 2" SU's are BIG)....oh and a tail pipe
Image
Image

Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:23 pm
by MarioVelotta
Looking good. What did you use for throttle cable?

Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:35 pm
by Kenny2428
Volksnut, that looks really good. Are you going to run it at the track?

Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:25 pm
by volksnut
hahahaha...the throttle cable is a universal unit from Empi with the early and late ends, you use the one you need and cut off the other, the sleeve is from a bike, I drill a hole in the tin near the oil cooler duct, run the factory sleeve to there, feed the bike sleeve inside the end, it will seat in about a 1/2" and run your cable through it, cut off what you don't need, and there you have it....a throttle cable Kenny, yes once I get it tuned it will be at the track, I did install it on the 2 litre, I thought what the heck...we'll see, I'll keep you all posted

Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:01 pm
by sideshow
volksnut wrote: Image
How about a closer look at that filler? I don't like the graphic but it looks like an easy fill point and a nice breather fitting.

Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:21 pm
by MarioVelotta
Nice way to do it.

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:08 am
by mbugz60
Image

I hooked up the nitrous under the holley.

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:59 am
by iswinkels
Well my project has been underway for about a year but has only been lately that ive making a lot of headway. I am essentially rebuilding my entire car from the chassis up. The previous build was a 2332 turbo, built T1 box, flawless re-spray, porsche 944 brakes, 17" wheels... german looker.

The car was great fun but was also unstable at speed, and it didnt handle. Also the engine could have snapped the T1 box like a twig so I could never drive it really hard. So something had to be done about it. The only way to go was to build a new chassis from scratch. So with a lot of planning and parts sourcing its all come together.

So the chassis you see below is now fitted with alloy 1998 944 turbo front and rear suspension, porsche 924 rack and pinion steering conversion, honda civic spec tein super streets (adjustable dampner suspension), a 1988 Porsche 911 turbo 4 speed gearbox with modified drive flanges to fit the 944 turbo CV's. All suspension settings are adjustable. Wheel track is widened 100mm all round so its the same wheelbase and track as a 1998 944 turbo. Wheels are from a porsche 996 and are 18x8 and 18x10 with bridgestone RE55 semi slicks.

Image

Image

Image

Ive since fitted the body to the chassis and have nearly finished the trial fitting and body modifications.

Image

Bolt in alloy firewall up top, and sheet metal to be welded to the front yet...
Image

Removable rear end with a lot of clearancing for what will be the most extreme engine I ever plan to build.
Image

And here is the car as it is now. Wide guards arrive later this week. Body gets lifted from the chassis... chassis sandblasted and painted etc...
Image

If there's much interest I might post updates on the chassis build here. I did intend to post up the build of the rocky jennings WBX based 2443 twin turbo engine. Lots of juicy parts in that.

Cheers,
Ian

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:02 am
by mbugz60
Ian, that looks like an interesting project. I would definitely like to see more of it. Keep us updated.
Mike

Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:08 pm
by mbugz60
I installed an AEM water/methanol injection on my split bug today.