Twowheeletex baja build, finally.
- twowheeletex
- Posts: 210
- Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:25 am
alright to keep from thread jacking my own thread and filling it with conversation I'll update on the bug.
my time in the desert is nearing on the halfway point. I have a few things on my mind that excite me about getting back. the baja is probably at the end of the top 10 list. though I think about it the most to keep my mind off everything else. I'm sure any of you who have been to the desert or have at least an 'R' rated imagination can figure it out.
I have been ordering parts for the baja. nothing too fancy, but a nice balance of things needed and things wanted. I'm going to post up my parts list and hope you guys chime in and let me know what you think. I am buying everything through chirco.com. If you guys know where I can get the same part somewhere else for enough of a discount to make the extra shipping worthwhile (joe chirco will combine shipping) please by all means let me know. even if it's something you have and is just taking op valuable garage space.
here are all the things I've already purchased.
alternator kit
aluminum dash
sump plate cover
here are the things I have not yet bought
oil pressure gauge
oil temp gauge
petronix ignitor
34pict3 carb my shaft bushings are worn and have to replace the accelerator pump gasket monthly.
cutting brake
light bar
rear bumper
if anyone has any of these items or any of the ones below they want to sell let me know.
front bumper
CB radio and antenna
4 lug off road rear tires
and hell while I'm at it. if you see anything I'm missing that is a must have or would be cool to have (that doesn't cost an arm and a leg) throw that in there to.
well, I guess release the hounds. let me know what y'all think.
my time in the desert is nearing on the halfway point. I have a few things on my mind that excite me about getting back. the baja is probably at the end of the top 10 list. though I think about it the most to keep my mind off everything else. I'm sure any of you who have been to the desert or have at least an 'R' rated imagination can figure it out.
I have been ordering parts for the baja. nothing too fancy, but a nice balance of things needed and things wanted. I'm going to post up my parts list and hope you guys chime in and let me know what you think. I am buying everything through chirco.com. If you guys know where I can get the same part somewhere else for enough of a discount to make the extra shipping worthwhile (joe chirco will combine shipping) please by all means let me know. even if it's something you have and is just taking op valuable garage space.
here are all the things I've already purchased.
alternator kit
aluminum dash
sump plate cover
here are the things I have not yet bought
oil pressure gauge
oil temp gauge
petronix ignitor
34pict3 carb my shaft bushings are worn and have to replace the accelerator pump gasket monthly.
cutting brake
light bar
rear bumper
if anyone has any of these items or any of the ones below they want to sell let me know.
front bumper
CB radio and antenna
4 lug off road rear tires
and hell while I'm at it. if you see anything I'm missing that is a must have or would be cool to have (that doesn't cost an arm and a leg) throw that in there to.
well, I guess release the hounds. let me know what y'all think.
- DonT
- Posts: 557
- Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:56 pm
Become a paying member at www.azbaja.com and get a discount on all purchases from Chirco. They have taken care of me well.twowheeletex wrote: If you guys know where I can get the same part somewhere else for enough of a discount to make the extra shipping worthwhile (joe chirco will combine shipping) please by all means let me know.
- twowheeletex
- Posts: 210
- Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:25 am
- twowheeletex
- Posts: 210
- Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:25 am
- david58
- Moderator
- Posts: 14100
- Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:14 pm
You did get the carb didn't you?twowheeletex wrote:well I went ahead and did that. I don't know if it'll help. I haven't tried to buy anything since I joined yet. a big thanks to david58 for offering to hook me up with a carb. should save me some bucks.
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
- twowheeletex
- Posts: 210
- Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:25 am
- twowheeletex
- Posts: 210
- Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:25 am
I took it out today for it's maiden voyage on the road. it was only to the gas station, a 10 mile round trip. no tickets and it pulled back into the driveway under it's own power, so all-in-all a successful trip.
I've got a few pictures from my camera phone of the work i've done so far. they aren't the best, but i have more on my camera. just have to get them uploaded.
i installed the carb i bought off david58, and the alternator from chirco. do I need the voltage regulator when running an alternator?
just a plug for david: the carb was well packaged and cleaned up like new. I really appreciate it david. I still need to adjust it properly which i really suck at.
if you guys could point me in the direction of a good thread that breaks carb adjustment down barney style it'd be much appreciated. right now it idles way to high and runs rich. the PO cut off the preheat tubes. do these help the car run better in y'alls collective professional opinions? otherwise it's working as advertised.

got some new tires mounted up, and replaced the brake pads, wheel cylinders, and one destroyed outer rear wheel bearing while i was in there.

installed some new air shocks from Monroe. they are great. smooth ride offroad and on.


roughed in my dash and the wiring in the trunk.

I've got a few pictures from my camera phone of the work i've done so far. they aren't the best, but i have more on my camera. just have to get them uploaded.
i installed the carb i bought off david58, and the alternator from chirco. do I need the voltage regulator when running an alternator?
just a plug for david: the carb was well packaged and cleaned up like new. I really appreciate it david. I still need to adjust it properly which i really suck at.
if you guys could point me in the direction of a good thread that breaks carb adjustment down barney style it'd be much appreciated. right now it idles way to high and runs rich. the PO cut off the preheat tubes. do these help the car run better in y'alls collective professional opinions? otherwise it's working as advertised.

got some new tires mounted up, and replaced the brake pads, wheel cylinders, and one destroyed outer rear wheel bearing while i was in there.

installed some new air shocks from Monroe. they are great. smooth ride offroad and on.


roughed in my dash and the wiring in the trunk.

- twowheeletex
- Posts: 210
- Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:25 am
after tuning and tuning and tuning and re-tuning the carb I think I have the fuel/idle/carb problem figured out. I installed an electric fuel pump on this engine when it was in the rail to fix a fuel starvation problem i was having in off camber areas as the rail was set up to gravity feed. it has never idled since I've had it, and was blowing gaskets, mainly the accelerator pump, every 3 or 4 outings. my thought is the pump is overflowing the bowl and making the engine run rich, idle high and blowing gaskets on freshly rebuilt carbs. I'm thinking a fuel pressure regulator would remedy the problem. let me know if this makes since to anyone.
and without further ado, here are some of the pictures from my camera I promised.



and without further ado, here are some of the pictures from my camera I promised.



- ntsqd
- Posts: 2291
- Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:58 am
Depending on what carb you have, 4 psi may the max that it wants. Most electric pumps will put out more than that. Be careful when you buy a regulator as not all of them will adjust that low. Long ago STV pointed out one for use with turbos that CB carries. Should be good with NA as well, just leave the boost reference port vented to atmosphere - but do it through one of the cheap plastic bodied fuel filters.
Cross-threaded is tighter than Lock-tite
- twowheeletex
- Posts: 210
- Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:25 am
thanks ntsqd for the advice. the local parts store had one that did the trick, at least for controlling fuel pressure. it still wouldn't idle no matter what i did with the carb so I got the carb cleaner out and started checking for vacuum leaks, and sure enough I had a hairline crack in the intake manifold, and both rubber boots where cracked. I've ordered new stuff already and for good measure ordered the thicker gaskets for the side manifolds.
- perrib
- Posts: 1891
- Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:00 pm
I can not believe I miseed this when it first posted. You did not fix that old body
Oh that's right you did and put it out of its misery. Great build and what luck to have 800 sg. miles to play in. Stick with the stock fuel pump, Install a fuel filter for a mid eighties Vanogon by the tank. It filter microns not small rocks. Tape a piece of a hard drive magenet to it to catch rust. You will have to use a bug fuel filter to make the adapter from 5.5 mm to 7.5 mm hose. You can still use a T-1 filter after the pump to catch any parts from the fuel pump. Get an intake with pre heat and make it functional. Yes even in Fl. you need preheat. If you a a functional vaccum advance distributor use it. A stock engine accelerates best with a vac advancd distributor. An Empi spun aluminium air filter housing with a paper element with a couple of Uni filter foams over it will keep the air sppply clean. An Ump works best but costs over $400 more. Grease the filter bases, wing nut and where the housing attaches to the carb. Oil the inner foam filter. Keep up the good work.