Franz, Chapter 2
- ajdenette
- Posts: 717
- Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:18 pm
Re: Franz, Chapter 2
If you have a block what other parts are you looking at switching over i might be able to make that a little esier of a direct engine swap 
Alex
|_________oo_oo
/ /__/____[_____\
I I======[]IIIIIII[]
()_)-----()_)----)_)
|_________oo_oo
/ /__/____[_____\
I I======[]IIIIIII[]
()_)-----()_)----)_)
- fusername
- Posts: 6806
- Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:26 am
Re: Franz, Chapter 2
BB, talk to AJ, he's da man. Between the three of us, we can get you sorted out sweet!
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.
Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
-
BBoudy1215
- Posts: 82
- Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:37 pm
Re: Franz, Chapter 2
well i have a whole engine that mostly works and i have a block. but i running engine would definitely be preferable at this point in time. you got any on hand?
- ajdenette
- Posts: 717
- Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:18 pm
Re: Franz, Chapter 2
No
running engines but lots of tin and other bits
I have been too buisy working on the vanaagon'sto build bug engines. so your block does not even have a rotating asebly (crank and rods) or is it a bit bigger like a long block (fromhead to head)?
Alex
|_________oo_oo
/ /__/____[_____\
I I======[]IIIIIII[]
()_)-----()_)----)_)
|_________oo_oo
/ /__/____[_____\
I I======[]IIIIIII[]
()_)-----()_)----)_)
- fusername
- Posts: 6806
- Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:26 am
Re: Franz, Chapter 2
here is what he has:
1: running engine w/ oil hemmoraging problems, built of:
brand new SP heads
rebuilt rods
nice crank
new cam+lifters
2: a block, with bolts and grease on it, nothing else
the goal is to get everything from engine 1 into case 2. of course having run low on oil there is no guarentee to the condition of the crank and maybe rods, but as long as it don't get dry the rods should be fine, and crank really aught be good as well, I'm not to concerned unless we have an oil vomit issue on the way home.
1: running engine w/ oil hemmoraging problems, built of:
brand new SP heads
rebuilt rods
nice crank
new cam+lifters
2: a block, with bolts and grease on it, nothing else
the goal is to get everything from engine 1 into case 2. of course having run low on oil there is no guarentee to the condition of the crank and maybe rods, but as long as it don't get dry the rods should be fine, and crank really aught be good as well, I'm not to concerned unless we have an oil vomit issue on the way home.
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.
Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
- Lotrat
- Posts: 4975
- Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:43 pm
Re: Franz, Chapter 2
It's just oil. With zinc. About $4 bucks a quart. I only use 2-1/2 quarts so it doesn't hurt the wallet.fusername wrote:In real life I agree with you on oil, but with the condition of his oil leaks I worry the right heavy weight will exasperate the oil expectoration problem.
Is the vr1 a motorcycle oil? Super expensive if it is, but that is the right stuff for our flat tappet motoers

- fusername
- Posts: 6806
- Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:26 am
Re: Franz, Chapter 2
So rumor has it he made it home without major incident. He will be helping me pickup my engine from sneaks yard, any other oddities I may have left there, in exchange for some aid in a quick and dirty rebuild
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.
Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
- Lotrat
- Posts: 4975
- Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:43 pm
Re: Franz, Chapter 2
Good news. Wait, didn't you "help" with the last rebuild?
- fusername
- Posts: 6806
- Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:26 am
Re: Franz, Chapter 2
nope, last rebuild was totally NLW dad and me ole boss. Although I may have dressed and installed it. The prior two rebuilds were me though. PS, tear downs were not my fault. 1 cause we bought a used motor, 1 for sucking an accel pump jet (9 hours to pull, "rebuild" and reinstall), 1 leaky valve cover and it got run dry....
maybe I just shouldn't touch it....
maybe I just shouldn't touch it....
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.
Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
- Lotrat
- Posts: 4975
- Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:43 pm
Re: Franz, Chapter 2
You are the common denominator. You may have the cheese touch.
-
BBoudy1215
- Posts: 82
- Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:37 pm
Re: Franz, Chapter 2
As you heard, Franz made it home without any problems what so ever. I kept an eye on the oil level the whole way. Ended up using about two gallons the whole trip... Other than that problem, great motor. Still have no place to take it apart so Im not sure how long hell be sitting. for the last 15-20 miles of journey i put in two quarts and as far i can tell, it barely leaked any of it. I had no choice but to buy 10-30 but it was kinda cold out that day anyways so it worked out. Im curious tho if it held that oil much better than 10-40 or 15-40 i was using..
Altho fuser is a common denominator in working on this car and it has had problems, I know that his engines have done pretty darn good. So Im keeping faith in his abilities. That is until something goes horribly wrong. In which case I will glad blame him for all of the issues
With Franz sitting, Ill most likely work on small projects on the car. If i get the chance, I might replace the rear fenders. Ill have to post a picture of what fuser did last time he took franz out...
fuser has been talking about getting a shipment of tubing. I think I may have finally worked enough to put some money down on some of that shipment so that might mean a new front bumper and tree bars for the ole chap. Ill also try working on the wiring in franz. The head lights are a bit dim so fuser suggested I just run another wire the headlights instead of just replacing the existing wire. a fresh wire should add a less resistant path for the electricity. And if i get my hands on another fuse box, I think ill will add that into the car. that way i can maybe run wires for a wench and some off roading lights. Until I can find a workspace ill have to stick to little things here and there. but this will be a good introduction into working on car alone. And constantly working will help keep me motivated and working on the car. He just needs a lot of love before he gives it back.
And Lotrat, thanx for the idea. I notice my floorpans are a bit dirty so i was gonna clean them up and paint them. now i now what to write on the undercarriage as well (referring to your signature)
Altho fuser is a common denominator in working on this car and it has had problems, I know that his engines have done pretty darn good. So Im keeping faith in his abilities. That is until something goes horribly wrong. In which case I will glad blame him for all of the issues
With Franz sitting, Ill most likely work on small projects on the car. If i get the chance, I might replace the rear fenders. Ill have to post a picture of what fuser did last time he took franz out...
fuser has been talking about getting a shipment of tubing. I think I may have finally worked enough to put some money down on some of that shipment so that might mean a new front bumper and tree bars for the ole chap. Ill also try working on the wiring in franz. The head lights are a bit dim so fuser suggested I just run another wire the headlights instead of just replacing the existing wire. a fresh wire should add a less resistant path for the electricity. And if i get my hands on another fuse box, I think ill will add that into the car. that way i can maybe run wires for a wench and some off roading lights. Until I can find a workspace ill have to stick to little things here and there. but this will be a good introduction into working on car alone. And constantly working will help keep me motivated and working on the car. He just needs a lot of love before he gives it back.
And Lotrat, thanx for the idea. I notice my floorpans are a bit dirty so i was gonna clean them up and paint them. now i now what to write on the undercarriage as well (referring to your signature)
- ajdenette
- Posts: 717
- Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:18 pm
Re: Franz, Chapter 2
If you want to stick with the smae style i have a few bus wiring looms kicking around.
Alex
|_________oo_oo
/ /__/____[_____\
I I======[]IIIIIII[]
()_)-----()_)----)_)
|_________oo_oo
/ /__/____[_____\
I I======[]IIIIIII[]
()_)-----()_)----)_)
- Lotrat
- Posts: 4975
- Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:43 pm
Re: Franz, Chapter 2
Nah, I'd let fuser wrench on my motor. I'm just being a jerk. If it runs well, then you're in good shape. My motor leaks oil between the cylinders and the case. When I got it the heads were "torqued" to about 5ft-lbs. The jugs banged against the case and made grooves in the mating surface. It won't seal. Drip pan fixed it. I've been beating on the motor since I got it and it won't die.
- Sneaks
- Posts: 1653
- Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:32 am
Re: Franz, Chapter 2
Those front fenders are still at the wife's place that go with Franz, I forgot to put them with it. I'll put 'em with Fuser's T4 motor so they don't get forgotten again...
- fusername
- Posts: 6806
- Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:26 am
Re: Franz, Chapter 2
well I drove franz today, man i forgot how different it drives compared to the SWB. It doesnt have the "this thing is gonna rattle apart" feel of the fiberglass buggy with its loose everything, and the wheel sure turns efortlessly. doesnt kick ya in the butt the same though, but a quick tune up (jets smell plugged to me) and a timing, it should be ready to rock till rebuild time. I think there will be enough money for a few goodies in the next few months. roof rack, engine, mebe some tires...
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.
Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.