balljoint coilover setup?

You know, de-chromed, big Porsche rims, Brembos, etc.,... German Look rules!
volkdent
Posts: 475
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2001 12:01 am

Post by volkdent »

FINALLY! Got a quote back from the laser cutter. Apparently I'll have some laser cut pieces in my hands in a couple of weeks, so fabrication can begin!

Jason
User avatar
DORIGTT
Posts: 617
Joined: Thu May 18, 2000 12:01 am

Post by DORIGTT »

Less typing...more working! :lol:

Patiently waiting my friend. I'm trying to not go the route of the Bader-Racing Ghia and do something better...
volkdent
Posts: 475
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2001 12:01 am

Post by volkdent »

Well, I don't know about better, though it probably will be, but DEFINATELY less expensive and virtually no modification to the body and slight modification to the pan. The one thing that has to be modified a lot is the gas tank, so you can either ditch it all together and go with a racing cell or something, or one of those spun aluminum jobbies. Currently I've just bashed a big dent in it to clear the UV joints of the steering rack, but in the long haul I will be cutting out a section and then welding in the area to clear, losing a little volume of the gas tank in the process.

Jason
cj011
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2001 12:01 am

Post by cj011 »

I am definately interested in seeing how things pan out. I would sell my GLHS if this can be figured out.
volkdent
Posts: 475
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2001 12:01 am

Post by volkdent »

The laser cut parts are currenty being made. Apparently they'll be done next Monday. That would be great, as it's my day off, and I can hand deliver them over to Walt to get going on the fabrication. Being as this thing could be done soon, I'm having a hard time keeping my attention on the rear end!

Jason
volkdent
Posts: 475
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2001 12:01 am

Post by volkdent »

If you want to see this thing come to life, Bob just emailed me a 3d file that can be used with the FREE ModelPress reader found at:

http://www.modelpress.com/download.htm

So if you want to check it out in realtime, drop me an email and I'll send you the file for viewing.

It makes me all giggly just to look at this thing!

Jason
volkdent
Posts: 475
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2001 12:01 am

Post by volkdent »

Picked up the laser cut and press brake parts today. $660 and 24.5 lbs.

Monday the parts will be going to Walt!

Jason
User avatar
Rhino
Posts: 57
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2001 12:01 am

Post by Rhino »

Have you guys looked at what EYEBALL-ENGINEERING.NET is doing with an A-arm front susension???!!!
Go to "current Projects"... they have a working A-arm front susension all done!!!
User avatar
DORIGTT
Posts: 617
Joined: Thu May 18, 2000 12:01 am

Post by DORIGTT »

Their's isn't for sale...yet.
R2.0
Posts: 602
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:18 pm

Post by R2.0 »

And it looks A LOT like Volksdent's.
volkdent
Posts: 475
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2001 12:01 am

Post by volkdent »

Rhino wrote:Have you guys looked at what EYEBALL-ENGINEERING.NET is doing with an A-arm front susension???!!!
Go to "current Projects"... they have a working A-arm front susension all done!!!
Done is pretty subjective. It looks like it's never seen the road, and apparently this was done some time ago, before the business was sold, or so the story goes. It was done before I ever started my project, but I didn't see it till after the design of mine was done. The main difference in these suspensions is the steering rack, it controls all the dimensions.

I might try another one later using a Super steering rack, as it might fit better, but we'll see.

Jason
volkdent
Posts: 475
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2001 12:01 am

Post by volkdent »

All the parts are now in Walt's hands. He'll be taking digital pics of the progress, so as he sends them to me, I'll post them.

Jason
volkdent
Posts: 475
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2001 12:01 am

it begins.....

Post by volkdent »

This is what Walt got done in one day. I can't believe it. I was thinking it was going to take awhile, as everything else in the project has.

http://www.geocities.com/volkdent/Front ... rtial.html

It may say the page is temporarily unavailable. Its free, so if too many people look, it shuts itself off for awhile. Thanks YaHOO! Ba$tards!

Just keep checking in on in, it will come back.

Jason
volkdent
Posts: 475
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2001 12:01 am

The Light is VERY Bright!!!!

Post by volkdent »

This is basically done now, with the exception of final welding and the addition of new shock towers that allow for more travel. Whatcha think?

http://www.geocities.com/volkdent/SuspensionOn.html

http://www.geocities.com/volkdent/Front ... rtial.html
Post Reply