Page 7 of 11
Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:02 am
by Leatherneck
You can use the T-2 CV's just will not be able to get the full benifit of the arms, use 930's and you will be able to use more of the suspension.
Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:28 am
by takotruckin
i am going to run type 4 cvs with 3x3s. we'll see how it works.
Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:56 am
by RyanB
I'm not having much luck finding type4 or 930 cv's...
Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:19 am
by Leatherneck
This is where I got mine at. Call them though, don't just look on the site.
http://www.germanautodismantlers.com/
Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:28 am
by 65baja
I've had good luck with this site plus free shipping on alot of stuff
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp ... 2D5093%2DB
if your looking for parts already "broken in" might be able to talk this guy out of just the cv's seems like a fair price on the whole deal might get a good price on 'em. (unless he is just trying to get rid of the tranny and selling the cv's and axles

)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... ?id=362893
Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:04 am
by RyanB
Ok... So I spent time last night pricing out going with 930 stuff. Holy poop... It would cost me nearly 1k bucks to get everything I need from stub axles in.
At this point I am going to just go with type2 stuff. The axles are 159 for the pair (I thought each at one point.. phew!!) and I can get CV's locally for 50 bucks a pair. I figure if I destroy them now and then I can quickly replace them. All told, looks like I can get Bus Stubs for about 20 bucks each, 4 CV's for 100 bucks and a pair of axles for 159 bucks. That is a far far cry from a 930 setup for nearly a grand.
In the meantime I can keep an eye out for type 4 CV's. I'll give the germanautodismantlers place a call leatherneck. Thanks.
I did contact that guy about the tranny and whatnot. He's keeping his 930 CV's. Only selling tranny, Axles and flanges. I discussed with him selling just the axles and flanges. However if I go that route then I'd be keeping my Type1 transmission. I'd still like to put my 002 into the car. Hence why I checked pricing to get the rest of the 930 stuff above.
Since I didnt have the rebuild kits for my dells on my Baja I got to tearing apart the rear end. Those torsions scare the hell outa me. I think I looked like a mad scientist last night trying to pop one loose. I had daymares of it popping out with such force it would fly off or hit something and kill me... Heh.
Anyhow, here's a few pics I snapped. Next up is to finish removing the doglegs and brake stuff. Clean it up and determine once and for all if I am going to put my 002 in...
Larger Pic
Larger Pic
Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:06 am
by MNAirHead
Ryan...
Aplogies on your front rims --- I'm backlogged... will be going out this week.
T.
Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:30 pm
by takotruckin
kustom1 has a 930 conversion kit for $700. flanges, stubs, axles, cvs, boots, bolts. everything but the grease...
Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:25 pm
by Leatherneck
that is where they stick it to ya, the damn grease gets you everytime.

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:55 pm
by RyanB
Thanks for the heads up taco. as in everything in life, you have to budget I guess. My fastest road to getting it back and going is to spend $300 to get the type 2 stuff, then later on maybe convery to 930 when I can stomach $700.
In the long run I'll pay more for sure I guess. But sometimes thats what ya got to do. It doesnt help that I have to split my budget between 2 cars. My buggy and my Baja. hehe.
Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:34 pm
by takotruckin
keep an eye out for type4 joints, or call the place leather suggested. with them, your only like 3 degrees less than a 930, and they've taken the v-6 power for some time now
Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:09 am
by MNAirHead
If budget is a concern... why not just go 2.5x2.5 or 2x3... this way it's more stock stuff...
OR... Thing axles system.
Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:31 am
by RyanB
Because i've already purchased the 3x3 arms from BCR...
Sadly none of my inquiry's to BCR are being returned. I was going to have them do my tube cage work and stuff but they must be too busy.
I've found some type4 CV's it looks like. Nearly the same price as I can get the Type2 stuff too. Wow!
So at this point looks like I'll buy the 19 3/4" axles new. Get the type 4 CV's and get some Bus stubs. If I remember right, bus stubs should be fine for type 4 CV's... I better look into that again.
Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:04 pm
by takotruckin
tim, i had trouble finding 2x3s for near the price as 3x3s
Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:48 pm
by RyanB
Leatherneck wrote:
Yes you can I am using T-2 stubs with 944 CV's
Leatherneck,
I got me some 944 CV's on the way now. You mention that you are using type 2 stub axles. Do you know what year? From what I understand the earlier years are an inch longer. Not sure how that will affect me...