yet another vert baja

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Scabbyfab
Posts: 173
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:14 pm

Re: yet another vert baja

Post by Scabbyfab »

Well here's the dilemma. The car is set up for this potent 2332 maybe 175 hp I'm guessin...
Image

But I recently acquired this Honda 3.0L that is a plug and play with 5 wire hook up
and adapter ect. Already been in a buggy.
Image

I will have to redo the whole rear cage to use the Honda.
It is soo tempting to just put in the vw. This car will be used mainly in the sand.
I'm wondering if it will be more nimble in sand with the vw. ( the only advantage that I can think of)
Or if, considering the extra weight of the body, I'll want the power and reliability of the Honda enough to do the extra work. I'm sure leaning toward the Honda.

I put a lift in at the shop, so it would be easier to do it


Image
Last edited by Scabbyfab on Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
CentralWAbaja
Posts: 4291
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:05 pm

Re: yet another vert baja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

I feel your pain...

You'll be about 200lbs heavier with the Honda all said and done. According to the guys I have been talking with.

Power about the same.... maybe a little less if it's' a strong VW? a lot bigger #'s out of the 3.2 and 3.5 or 3.7's

Car is built for VW....run it...my opinion.


Listen to me.... who do I think I am :D

My car is not built yet that is why I am asking the same question :wink:
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
User avatar
hotrodsurplus
Posts: 410
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:43 pm

Re: yet another vert baja

Post by hotrodsurplus »

Scabbyfab wrote:I'm wondering if it will be more nimble in sand with the vw. ( the only advantage that I can think of)
Or if, considering the extra weight of the body, I'll want the power and reliability of the Honda enough to do the extra work. I'm sure leaning toward the Honda.
I love my Thing but nimble it ain't. They're heavy, wide, and compared to a stripped-down Baja bug, clumsy. The prospect of very reliable power would swing me to the fuel-infected Honder. Plus you can balance the car a bit more by routing the radiator up front. Plus you can route a *real* heater in the car. Plus you can have fun all day long without ever thinking of fixing the engine when it breaks.

Will the heavier engine affect the car adversely? Yes, but then again a VW's weight distribution makes it a crappy handler anyway.
Scabbyfab
Posts: 173
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:14 pm

Re: yet another vert baja

Post by Scabbyfab »

hotrodsurplus wrote:
Scabbyfab wrote:I'm wondering if it will be more nimble in sand with the vw. ( the only advantage that I can think of)
Or if, considering the extra weight of the body, I'll want the power and reliability of the Honda enough to do the extra work. I'm sure leaning toward the Honda.
I love my Thing but nimble it ain't. They're heavy, wide, and compared to a stripped-down Baja bug, clumsy. The prospect of very reliable power would swing me to the fuel-infected Honder. Plus you can balance the car a bit more by routing the radiator up front. Plus you can route a *real* heater in the car. Plus you can have fun all day long without ever thinking of fixing the engine when it breaks.

Will the heavier engine affect the car adversely? Yes, but then again a VW's weight distribution makes it a crappy handler anyway.

Oh my mistake, The car on the lift is not the car that I mean...sorry I'm speaking of the a arm car
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Scabbyfab on Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
hotrodsurplus
Posts: 410
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:43 pm

Re: yet another vert baja

Post by hotrodsurplus »

Scabbyfab wrote:Oh my mistake, The car on the lift is not the car that I mean...sorry I'm speaking of the a arm carImage
Well that changes things. I vote air-cooled then. Now if you flipped the gearbox and ran the car as a mid-engine, I'd be all for the Honda power. It would be quite rad, actually.
Scabbyfab
Posts: 173
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:14 pm

Re: yet another vert baja

Post by Scabbyfab »

Can you flip a 091 without turning it upside down.? Now you're talking about some real work
User avatar
hotrodsurplus
Posts: 410
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:43 pm

Re: yet another vert baja

Post by hotrodsurplus »

Scabbyfab wrote:Can you flip a 091 without turning it upside down.? Now you're talking about some real work
What would be the problem with just flipping one upside down? It's not as if it has to fit any existing brackets. You can't flip an IRS bus ring gear because it's a single-sideplate model ala late Typ I. It's actually incredibly simple to flip the whole transaxle as the bolt pattern is symmetrical. You could bolt the engine to it sideways if you had to. The rest is just making brackets to make the marriage possible. The other benefit is that it puts the engine just a little bit higher than the transaxle. That can make mounting that much easier if the chassis is in the way.

I don't get why more people don't just do that. It seems as if there's this imaginary wall that keeps people from doing it. I've been 130mph many times in cars with flipped VW gearboxes. They're called Formula Fords. They have Hewland gears but for strength reasons only (straight-cut, shift dogs, etc).

The only issue would be the gearbox drain but there are ways around that. And you'd have to come up with a way to fill it with just enough gear lube (the original fill hole would be in the wrong location). But these aren't insurmountable issues. You could always drill/tap the case for a small NPT plug and fill the gearbox from the old drain plug 'til it came oozing out of the new side hole. Easy stuff in the grand scheme of things.

Here's a Typ I in an old Formula Ford. You could do it with a bus trans because the principles are the same.

Image
Scabbyfab
Posts: 173
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:14 pm

Re: yet another vert baja

Post by Scabbyfab »

Hey that's food for thought alright. :lol:
User avatar
Lotrat
Posts: 4975
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:43 pm

Re: yet another vert baja

Post by Lotrat »

hotrodsurplus wrote:Image
Took me awhile to figure out why the asphalt was in the sky... then I read all the words.
User avatar
KBWAKESK8
Posts: 1072
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:59 pm

Re: yet another vert baja

Post by KBWAKESK8 »

Scabbyfab wrote:Well here's the dilemma. The car is set up for this potent 2332 maybe 175 hp I'm guessin...
Image

But I recently acquired this Honda 3.0L that is a plug and play with 5 wire hook up
and adapter ect. Already been in a buggy.
Image
Nice motor i have the same one
User avatar
Skidmark
Posts: 3509
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:19 pm

Re: yet another vert baja

Post by Skidmark »

How much rear weight are your shocks set up for in the back? With the Honda you will need to change out the springs at the least, possibly re-valve them as well. The fuel system requirements change between those two motors as well. I was a bit sticker shocked when I plumbed my fuel system after all the fittings and lines were said and done. Things like this will add up when you go the conversion route (a/c vs. H2O). But you have probably already thought of this stuff...
"Your car sounds angry, and it wants to go fast all the time..."
(quote from my daughter, after driving my car)

It's not complicated, it's just expensive...
Steve Arndt
Posts: 7420
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2001 12:01 am

Re: yet another vert baja

Post by Steve Arndt »

Can you post another picture of your steel storage rack mounted on the wall next to your lift? It looks like something I need to copy!
s
Scabbyfab
Posts: 173
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:14 pm

Re: yet another vert baja

Post by Scabbyfab »

Skidmark wrote:How much rear weight are your shocks set up for in the back? With the Honda you will need to change out the springs at the least, possibly re-valve them as well. The fuel system requirements change between those two motors as well. I was a bit sticker shocked when I plumbed my fuel system after all the fittings and lines were said and done. Things like this will add up when you go the conversion route (a/c vs. H2O). But you have probably already thought of this stuff...

Yep I've thought of this stuff but have not penciled it out yet. Good idea Skid
Bajatex
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:20 pm

Re: yet another vert baja

Post by Bajatex »

Bump!! Just a little something to give you some motivation Dave. Is this really 3 years old? Time to get back on it.
Post Reply