Page 7 of 13
Re: DIY - 1990-1994 1/2 EJ22 Subaru Conversion with stock EC
Posted: Thu May 15, 2014 6:39 am
by TimS
Not yet... My subaru will get tired one of these days and I will have to go newer. You're right that OBD-I engines are getting harder to find.
You should try it! How hard could it be?

Re: DIY - 1990-1994 1/2 EJ22 Subaru Conversion with stock EC
Posted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:40 pm
by no1clyde
Tim my OBD-2 Toyota in my buggy was not really any harder to do than the OBD-1 Subaru I have for my Baja, the main difference that I can tell is the second O2 sensor after the Cat and the Cat itself.
Ed
Re: DIY - 1990-1994 1/2 EJ22 Subaru Conversion with stock EC
Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:27 pm
by itawolf
So how are things now?
Re: DIY - 1990-1994 1/2 EJ22 Subaru Conversion with stock EC
Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:12 pm
by TimS
If you are referring to Satillite guy... he is driving it a lot, has an intermittent idle circuit code, but hasn't had time to diagnose it. I haven't talked with him in a while, though.
As far as me.. I want a mid engine early automatic with the 4:11 final drive. That's my new dream. Otherwise I drive my bug daily. No issues.
How bout you?
Re: DIY - 1990-1994 1/2 EJ22 Subaru Conversion with stock EC
Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:11 pm
by itawolf
WELL to many irons in the fire
between 300zxtt
97 4runner 4bt swap--in the works 1/2 done
now my 60 ....well im hunting down parst i lost during the tornado few years back
pulled the scooby and now ready to redo it all but with ac this time and maybe a 2.5
and if im lucky (wife) a suby trans lol
great post!!!
and thx for asking
Re: DIY - 1990-1994 1/2 EJ22 Subaru Conversion with stock EC
Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:15 pm
by splitime
Thank you for this write up. It has me starting with a nice plan to follow for my first beetle ownership/project.
Now to find good details on the stopping/handling parts.
Re: DIY - 1990-1994 1/2 EJ22 Subaru Conversion with stock EC
Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:15 pm
by Ben10
Hi, just joined your post, what a guy, reading all that and very impressed, I am in the middle of pulling a engine and loom out of a subaru legacy auto ( 2.5) and it's hopefully going into a vw t25. I have scanned the web and struggling to find a wiring diagram for engine harness and ecu harness, engine still in subaru and still runs even tho cut loads of wires back. Are import subarus harness different?
Ben
Re: DIY - 1990-1994 1/2 EJ22 Subaru Conversion with stock EC
Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:30 pm
by Ben10
Hi sorry it's a 1996 model with a ten digit vin.
Re: DIY - 1990-1994 1/2 EJ22 Subaru Conversion with stock EC
Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:44 am
by Matt in Michigan
Thanks for posting this info! I just installed a new (used) engine wire harness for a 1990 ej22 on my buggy after cooking the previous harness by mistakenly connecting the ground wire stemming from the wire loom to the positive terminal on the battery. Stupid mistake. Only took a few seconds for wires to cook. The engine harness was damaged mostly on passenger side of motor where the connections are. I traced a few more burned wires going back to the ecu, but thankfully did not see any burned wires entering the ecu. So after all the work to replace burned wires and installing new engine harness, I turned the master power switch on (my buggy has a master power cut off switch near driver seat) the 30 amp fuse popped. I am a bit lost as to why. Have any ideas? Is it possible that the ecu is causing this? Could I have fried that too? I have an extra ecu, but I'm not sure I want to damage itmifmthere is something else at fault with this set up. Appreciate any feedback!
Re: DIY - 1990-1994 1/2 EJ22 Subaru Conversion with stock EC
Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:59 am
by fezzic181
Rule one look at what you just changed. Unless your original harness was a 1990 ej22 harness as well there could be changes. Heck there could be changes from VIN to VIN the same year. Subaru likes to fix issues on the assembly line as soon as they find them.
Also could be you have another wire hiding that was melted. Not sure how you miss wired it but also the switch could be internally damaged if it was part of the current path during the melt down.
Re: DIY - 1990-1994 1/2 EJ22 Subaru Conversion with stock EC
Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:19 pm
by Matt in Michigan
Thanks...I tried a different harness and it fired up! As you pointed out and as I learned, there are slight differences in harnesses depending on year and vehicle type. Appreciate the feedback. I'll keep checking in to this site as I embark on projects.
Re: DIY - 1990-1994 1/2 EJ22 Subaru Conversion with stock EC
Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:46 pm
by TimS
Glad you got it figured out. keep us all updated with your progress.
Re: DIY - 1990-1994 1/2 EJ22 Subaru Conversion with stock EC
Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:48 am
by Matt in Michigan
For our collective background info, just want to confirm that the engine wire harness differs between the AT and MT? I beleive AT harnesses have a separate ground terminal (although connected to the harness by tape, none of the wires actually connect). The MT harness has grounds as part of the two terminals. Anyone confirm this?
Re: DIY - 1990-1994 1/2 EJ22 Subaru Conversion with stock EC
Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:54 pm
by Buggin_74
The ECU and loom in mine is from an Auto, when I compare it to a manual pinout it all checks out the same except there was an extra wire which went to the Auto brain and one to the inhibitor switch.
Re: DIY - 1990-1994 1/2 EJ22 Subaru Conversion with stock EC
Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:13 pm
by Chantruese
We're getting ready to tackle a project very similar to this, and I'm wondering if we're going to be OK with a 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.2 engine. Is the form factor the same, and can I use the same mounting plates as the 1990-1994 EJ22 (e.g.,
http://www.pacificcustoms.com/kepsubaru002-200.html) ? Also wondering if I'll be better off transplanting into a Super Beetle -- more room in the front for the radiator.
Thank you!!